Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 PM
MGMorden

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to MGMorden
Problems with a Standard Model

Ok guys, I'm at my wits end and figured I'd stop by for some advice (and partially just to vent ).

I've got an old Ruger Standard Model .22LR that I bought a few years back. Regular 4" barrel model.

Its a very accurate gun - love the trigger pull and the feel of it in my hands. The problem though is that its an absolute jama-matic. I've tried cleaning it. I've tried different ammo. I've replaced the recoil spring, replaced the extractor with a Power Custom Titanium extractor. Replaced the firing pin and firing pin spring. I've down everything I can possibly do and it still gives me trouble.

Normally I wouldn't mind as I mostly just plink with it, but I decided to go out to a Steel Challenge match today to try it out and it got me frustrated enough that I was tempted to sell it to a pawn shop on the way home .

Specifically as to today, I was using Federal Automatch ammo. Most common issue was that the ammo would catch half-way into the chamber and would require that I push the slide the rest of the way closed. Did this probably 20+ times. Half the time it would do it on initial loading (just when racking the bolt I'd have to push it shut). The gun seemed to get a little better after the first few mags but was still having intermittent issues.

Should I just write this one off or is there something I might try? I really like the feel of the Ruger so I was debating just buying a new 22/45 with the 5.5" bull barrel and seeing how that works out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 PM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
how does the chamber look? You may have a build-up of lead in the chamber or a dent at the chamber mouth. If it is a dent, you will need a chamber iron to push the metal back where it should be. The round should go into the chamber easily. Take the pistol appart and see if you can drop a round into the chamber. Inspect the chamber for dirt and lead build-up or a dent where the firing pin hits.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
You might also want to get a new mag and try that after you have cleaned the chamber carefully .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 01:19 AM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
one last thing is to take the mag apart and clean the inside of it. They get cloged with bullet lube and dirt over time.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 AM
MGMorden

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll inspect the chamber when I get the gun taken apart tomorrow. Don't think its a mag issue as I was using 5 different magazines, 3 of which are brand new and the other 2 of which were purchased new back when I bought the gun (it was used and had no magazines with it at purchase).
Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I have a Standard (10-XXXX series) and a Mark I Target (15-XXXX series) and BOTH of these pistols are, as you describe, jam-o-matics with their original magazines. When using the *NEW* style 9-round magazines that Ruger now offers, or Mark II style magazines, function is just fine. All three of the original magazines that I have from these two pistols sit in the safe.
It wouldn't hurt to pick up one of those 9-round replacement mags, just to see how it does, or doesn't, cure the problem.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Dobs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
possible solutions

Three things to look at in the following order are: first the feed ramp. This can be rough and show tool marks. It can be polished with metal polish on a cloth over a pencil eraser. Stay out of the chamber. Second is a mag mod on the rear feed lips. The front corners of the rear feed lips need to be ever so slightly rounded. Just break the sharp corner with a small file or sandpaper. This allows the case to feed more easily. Third possibility is the catch on the bottom of the grips. Push up on the mag and see if it lifts up when the catch is closed. It might need a new spring. Doubt it.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Bigxndr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I have a Standard (10-XXXX series) and a Mark I Target (15-XXXX series) and BOTH of these pistols are, as you describe, jam-o-matics with their original magazines. When using the *NEW* style 9-round magazines that Ruger now offers, or Mark II style magazines, function is just fine.:
Could it be just the opposite in this case?
MGMorden states that he bought the pistol with no original mags and he purchased a total of 5 replacement mags, but he does'nt state how old his pistol is. Could this be an older gun that does'nt run well with the Ruger replacement mags, but may work fine with the original old style magazines. We've seen instances where owners of earlier guns have reported problems with jamming and the bolt riding over the cartridge while using the newer style replacement mags.
I have two pistols, one from 1952 and a Red Eagle from 1950 that absolutely will not run with the replacement mags, but will function fine all day long with the original mags.

Another possibility that could be causing problems is the lack of Eezox.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
MGMorden

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just getting back here with some info. I got the bolt out today and inspected the chamber as closely as possible. I can't find anything wrong there, and dropped straight in the cartridges fall in perfectly. They just seem to be going in at an odd angle.

The feed ramp does indeed show tool marks on it. I may indeed try to polish that.

As to the gun, the serial number on the receiver indicates that its from 1971, but its not the A100 frame - I'm guessing it had to be one of the last of the older style ones made.

I may try to polish the feed ramp and see how that does. Barring that, I'm also considering putting a Tactical Solutions Tac-Lite upper on it and having a gunsmith do a blueprint on the bolt. The blue printing runs about $40 from what I've seen and the TacSol upper around $270. Since that replaces the whole barrel, feed ramp, etc I'm guessing thats getting pretty close to a new gun for most of what's happening up in that area. Its cheaper than a new gun and I'm already very partial to the trigger on this one.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
americanstrat98
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Sounds like you have a good idea on how to replace parts on it, but it can still be fixed without the extra dough. I would try some OEM A54 magazines in it. My 54framed Mark I is a great shooter with OEM magazines, but will not cycle with the newer magazines without me modifying the feeding lips. You can find A54 Single slot magazines on ebay, gunbroker. They usually need to be cleaned pretty good, alot of folks aren't big on cleaning

I'm sure you've done everything in your power to fix the issue, the last place you look will be what fixes it,

Happy Shooting!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 PM
jaybar

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Failure to Feed jams

Quote:
Specifically as to today, I was using Federal Automatch ammo. Most common issue was that the ammo would catch half-way into the chamber and would require that I push the slide the rest of the way closed. Did this probably 20+ times. Half the time it would do it on initial loading (just when racking the bolt I'd have to push it shut). The gun seemed to get a little better after the first few mags but was still having intermittent issues.
The failure to feed jam that you describe above is usually caused by something that is not allowing the rim to slide up and under the extractor.
The usual suspects are:
1> A firing pin that is sticking in the forward position. Possible causes: missing or bent firing pin rebound spring, or burrs or peening on the firing pin, or burrs or peening in the firing pin channel of the bolt itself. Check to see if the firing pin moves freely and returns to the rear with vigor.

2> The bottom corner of the hook on the extractor is sharp and digs into the side of the brass instead of camming over it . Take the bolt out of the gun and manually slide a round up under the extractor. It should move into place with a little pressure and move the extractor out of its way as it does so. If the hook is sharp such that it digs into the brass, take a stone to the bottom corner and round it over slightly.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
DDubya
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mark I Target from 1955 and it is real finicky about ammo. It especially doesn't like hollow points. They get jammed and bent up. I have the original mag and 2 new ones and they all work the same. I'm going to polish up the feed ramp and see if that helps.