CCI Velocitor accuracy ? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 PM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

You are not nuts.. LOL.. But if you can take a chest shot on a animal that just wont hold it's head still for you and do it as efficient as you can with the given round. Then there might be a bit of value to shooting the velocitors.

Me I'm just getting rid of a few that seem to like my yard. !
Old 06-12-2012, 01:30 PM
"JJ"

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried the Velocitors in my model 60 at 100yrds and loved them!

I will take credit for the flyer. I was shooting off of a soft bag under the forearm on the cab of my truck!

Here is a link to the thread where I posted it originally with some great comments and concerns on the Velocitors.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=451164

I went out this past Sunday to try them again. We had a 6 or 7 mph wind. We were shooting in a lane cut through some woods which I thought wood block most of the wind. However it just swirled it a bit. They were drifting from 4.5 inches to none depending on wind and direction!
I couldn't get anything consistent so we swapped to my BIL's .270 light weight, his .270 short mag and his 30-30!
The wind didn't bother them!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 PM
jbdesigns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been told by experts that the higher velocity rimfire actually drifts more in the wind than subsonic rounds. The diff is not insignificant. So a windy day and velociters may not be that great compared to std vel.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 PM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
correct, drift is less on target rounds, cant kill what you dont hit, accuracy rules, 100 yards with target ammo from a bench is difficult to attain 1.25" accuracy. I bet velocitors will be more like 4" groups, I like squirrel head shots at 75 yds, switched to wolf ME in my hunting rifle, I have made some absolutley best shots of my life on small game in the last few years.

Last edited by MarlinBullseye; 06-12-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinBullseye View Post
correct, drift is less on target rounds, cant kill what you dont hit, accuracy rules, 100 yards with target ammo from a bench is difficult to attain 1.25" accuracy. I bet velocitors will be more like 4" groups, I like squirrel head shots at 75 yds, switched to wolf ME in my hunting rifle, I have made some absolutley best shots of my life on small game in the last few years.
I would think that the drift was using the lighter 32 grain bullets. A 40 grain bullet at 1400 fps will have less wind drift than a 40 grain 1050 fps. JMO
Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightd View Post
I would think that the drift was using the lighter 32 grain bullets. A 40 grain bullet at 1400 fps will have less wind drift than a 40 grain 1050 fps. JMO
I think I would have to agree with it having less drift. Same projectile moving faster = less time for wind to influence it. JMO also
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Not a Marlin, but saw the Velocitor on the thread and had to chime in.
I think it's great stuff! I use it because at 50 yd zero with CCI SV, I'm still dead on at 100 yds with Velocitors in this Rem 597 with a VQ barrel. So no need to change zeros. This is it's best group at 100 yds--1 1/4" with Velocitors
Also the most accurate of 16 high speed ammo's I tested a while ago

BTW--photo of rifle is at our 50 yard range if that bull in the background looks a little close!

Last edited by Steve S; 06-13-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM
jbdesigns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually, two 40 grain bullets, one at 1250 fps and one at 1050fps. The subsonic bullet has less wind drift. Check with a ballistic program and check it out. It's the super sonic vs subsonic.

I think two supersonic rounds, one faster than the other is different. The faster one has less drift.

Sophia, we need back up here
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile CCI Velocitor Accuracy?

June 12, 2012
My Fellow Shooters:
I have tested CCI Velocitors in a variety of fine rifles from close range- 25 yards- to 300 meters from the bench in no wind. I have found 100 yard accuracy averaging ca. .80"-1.50" and 200 meter accuracy averaging 3-4". However, accuracy deteriorates badly past that point with most 300 meter groups ranging from 11-13".
Chronographing shows a true velocity variation in a CZ Ultra Lux 28.5" barrel of 1352-1368 fps, which probably partly explains the 300 meter grouping.
Another problem is that the CCI Velocitor bullet is as aerodynamic as a beer keg. I have seen it stopped by .25" waffle plastic sheeting at 300 meters that Lapua Match ammo easily penetrated. CCI seems to have designed the bullet to be an accurate "stopper" on small game to 100 yards with fair performance to 200 meters.
I have found it has good silhouette accuracy to 200 meters and it is usually available at local dealers, so I use some Velocitor. I reckon it is designed to batter less and place less breach strain on some rifles than the much more intense Aguila Interceptor, which on the average outshot it 25 yards-300 meters, chronographing at 1462-1468 fps. I use the Interceptor in strong bolt actions or break actions. Good shooting to you.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM
ragswl4
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Harper View Post
June 12, 2012
My Fellow Shooters:
I have tested CCI Velocitors in a variety of fine rifles from close range- 25 yards- to 300 meters from the bench in no wind. I have found 100 yard accuracy averaging ca. .80"-1.50" and 200 meter accuracy averaging 3-4". However, accuracy deteriorates badly past that point with most 300 meter groups ranging from 11-13".
Chronographing shows a true velocity variation in a CZ Ultra Lux 28.5" barrel of 1352-1368 fps, which probably partly explains the 300 meter grouping.
Another problem is that the CCI Velocitor bullet is as aerodynamic as a beer keg. I have seen it stopped by .25" waffle plastic sheeting at 300 meters that Lapua Match ammo easily penetrated. CCI seems to have designed the bullet to be an accurate "stopper" on small game to 100 yards with fair performance to 200 meters.
I have found it has good silhouette accuracy to 200 meters and it is usually available at local dealers, so I use some Velocitor. I reckon it is designed to batter less and place less breach strain on some rifles than the much more intense Aguila Interceptor, which on the average outshot it 25 yards-300 meters, chronographing at 1462-1468 fps. I use the Interceptor in strong bolt actions or break actions. Good shooting to you.
I too have used the Interceptors out to 100 yds from a CZ UL and Savage MKII BTVS and found them to be more accurate than velocitors. As we all know .22s can be picky beasts when it comes to ammo so YMMV. Have not used either ammo in a semi-auto rifle so can't comment on that but have tried the Interceptors in my S&W 22A pistol. They fire well but I think it really punishes the action. Recently purchased a Ruger SR22 pistol and asked Ruger if it was ok to use hyper-velocity ammo in the SR22 and the response was "do not use it".

Another Aguila choice is the SuperMaximum ammo, 1750fps hollow point 30 gr bullet. Shot a 4" waterlogged phone book @ 10 yds from a pistol and the exit hole was in excess of 1". The bullet channel about 2" into the phone book was approx 1/2". Pretty devastating in my opinon. I have shot that round out of three different bolt action rifles and I wouldn't use it on any animal past 50yds due to poor accuracy.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:49 AM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdesigns View Post
Actually, two 40 grain bullets, one at 1250 fps and one at 1050fps. The subsonic bullet has less wind drift. Check with a ballistic program and check it out. It's the super sonic vs subsonic.

I think two supersonic rounds, one faster than the other is different. The faster one has less drift.

Sophia, we need back up here
I think Ballistic Coeficient still rules, the better the BC, the less wind affects it, any physics professors in this forum? Steve, thats a fine group with high speed ammo. CCI does make some good ammo. A little shoked that it is that good, how many and how big are the bad groups? Does it seem pretty consistent?

Last edited by MarlinBullseye; 06-14-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
So far it is looking like we are learning quite a lot. In the mean time
I'm still waiting to try some out.
Thank all of you for your info and lets keep it coming..!!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The interceptors are an interesting round too, the heavier the bullet the better it will perform on predators at distance. Too bad I have a 22 mag, I would have to dive right into ballistic testing different high speed rounds at 100 yds. I have a marlin 25mn that shoots 1.25" groups @100 with Federal 50 grain magnum. It is still a better choice for predators at 100 to 150 +/- yds. I still have a hankering for a remington 700 in .223. predators at 400 would be fun.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
I think Ballistic Coeficient still rules, the better the BC, the less wind affects it, any physics professors in this forum? Steve, thats a fine group with high speed ammo. CCI does make some good ammo. A little shoked that it is that good, how many and how big are the bad groups? Does it seem pretty consistent?
Here are the two charts for the complete test. Note conditions and the gun, VQ barrel and scope too. The initial test of all ammo's was 10 shot groups then the best 5 of them were 5 shot groups. Overall I think most of these ammo's were quite consistant and certainly not a dud in any ammo for the entire test
As you can see, most of the other HS ammo's grouped @ 2" at 100 yards during the final 5 shot groups. Two other comments; Velocitor consistently gets me 1 1/4 to 1 5/8 groups--smaller than the other ones
Second, this was shot at my club range---Chester Rod and Gun--aka "The Chester Wind Tunnel"--HARD to get a good day and good time of day for a few hours straight of no wind, so have not repeated this test. Still, I shot enough that day that I am confident of the results--details are on the charts. Some of the variation was surely due to some wind, but there were surprising few real flyers with any of this ammo.
Also bear in mind part of test was for pure accuracy amongst only HS ammo and the other was to find a HS ammo that was dead on at 100 yds when the gun was also dead on at 50 yds with CCI Std. Vel.--that way there would be no need to change scope zero when switching distances--rather just change the ammo instead (Note that CCI SV is my normal target pistol ammo and general range plinking ammo) YRMV, but try some yourself and see is all I can suggest.
Top 5 Ammo's;

Complete test of all ammo's;

Last edited by Steve S; 06-14-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 AM
svriderpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
...this was shot at my club range---Chester Rod and Gun--aka "The Chester Wind Tunnel"...
I've shot there (10 rounds of .22lr). My son and I took our hunter safety field day there in April. That's a very nice club you have there. I really like the rifle range. I shoot up in New Durham at the Farmington Fish and Game club. Our range is very nice (not quite as nice as yours), though we don't have a rabbit cage, but you should see our skeet and trap range sometime.