581 project finally complete - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 AM
biganimal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
581 project finally complete

I haven’t posted here in a long while as life has a way of providing distractions, but here I am.
About 20 years ago I picked up a decent Remington 581 clip fed .22 rifle, yes I said CLIP fed! I’m using the same terminology Remington used to ID this rifle, so haters just hush up.

Well back to the tale; I was working night shift and had access to the company machine shop on my lunch breaks. I removed the stock barrel and purchased a 26 inch .22 sleeve from Numrich gun parts. I had a .84” blank that was going to be a new 30 caliber barrel for an old Mauser action but it didn’t happen. I drilled the blank and epoxied the new sleeve in it. I then shortened everything to 20” and fitted it to the 581 action. Now comes the sad part; I misplaced the bolt!! Fast forward to this week and lo and behold I find the bolt in the bottom of a box that had made the trip to our new home (15 years ago) and was stuck in the attic. Yesterday I finished assembling the rifle and topped it with a inexpensive BSA 6-24x50 scope. Later this afternoon I will finally hit the range bench with this project for a long awaited testing.
I’ll report back on the performance. Thanks for listening......Biganimal
Old 05-21-2020, 09:33 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Hope it does well for you.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:56 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biganimal View Post
About 20 years ago I picked up a decent Remington 581 clip fed .22 rifle, yes I said CLIP fed! Iím using the same terminology Remington used to ID this rifle, so haters just hush up.
Didn't yo' mama ever tell you two wrongs don't make a right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 12:53 PM
tomon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Well................

Now that it's done..........SEND IT HERE! I'll take to the range for you!
Old 05-21-2020, 01:35 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Didn't yo' mama ever tell you two wrongs don't make a right?

That's funny. But, really sounds like a great project finally done. Ya got to show us pictures though.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 PM
biganimal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got it to the range this morning. Not real impressive performance. Fifty yards With slight (maybe 8-10mph crosswind) right time left. Shooting at 1” orange dot. Nice group under 1.24” with garbage Winchester ammo. Group was high & slightly right but not as tight as it should be at fifty.
But I only got to shoot one full mag as on shot #12 the extractor broke.

I also ran 50 rounds thru each of my 10/22s ,(one custom build the other stock as built in ‘65) with similar depressing results with this ammo.

The ammo was the 333 rd box of Winchester from 2009. All rds went bang and hit the target but didn’t group well in any one of the guns.

Now the real problem..... I’m in my mid sixties and not so good with computers and phones. So how do I post pics from my phone??