couple times a week. cant carry at or on work property, so mainly weekends
Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 PM
scout789
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redride2 View Post
Suzanna Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen in 1991 when a mass shooting took place. The gunman, George Hennard, shot 44 people in all, killing 24 of them, including himself. The fatally wounded included both of Hupp's parents. Hupp later expressed regret about deciding to remove her gun from her purse and lock it in her car, lest she risk possibly running afoul of the state's concealed weapons laws; during the shootings, she reached for her weapon but then remembered that it was "a hundred feet [30 m] away in my car."[6] Her father, Al Gratia, feeling he "needed to do something", tried to rush the gunman and was fatally shot in the chest instead. Hupp, eventually seeing an escape through a broken window (broken by the shoulder of another fleeing victim), grabbed her mother by the shirt telling her "Come on, we have to go now!" As Hupp moved toward the only escape, she believed her mother to be following her, only to find out later that Ursula had also been killed.

There is a hard lesson to be learned here because things can go south when you least expect it, always be prepared to protect yourself and your family, don't pick and choose when to be prepared.
It was this incident that finally got concealed carry passed here in Texas. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about that incident. This is especially true if I have the thought, "Maybe I don't need to carry today." And yes since the church incident near San Antonio, I carry in church. This in spite of the church's "safety team" which consists mostly of off duty or retired LEO's.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 PM
bronicabill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Church was mentioned.... in our congregation of about 300 most Sunday mornings, I know of at least 14 of us packing, including all the pastors. When I’m on stage playing in the praise band, there are normally 2 or 3 other concealed pistols on stage not including mine... so we’re covered from the front. And once church starts, all doors are locked except one, and it is guarded by an armed guard with our security team! The children’s building is totally locked down while occupied to prevent strangers from wandering in, and of course part of our security team is posted there too.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 PM
frogwalking
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had a permit for years, in several states yet I seldom carry. An anecdote Years ago I was visiting Charleston, SC. I had just pulled my Accord into the motel parking lot. A large, strong looking man walked up to my to my window and proceeded to ask for help with a very unlikely problem. I told him I couldn't help him. He reached a hand as big as a ham into my window while saying "I want to shake your hand." I am a rather thin person, not especially strong. That instant, I realized that if I reached to shake hands, he would immediately jerk me through the window and drive off with my car and (girl) friend. My pistol was loaded, in a fabric case, under the seat, where it was worthless. I had left the car in gear, so immediately hit the gas. I pulled back around to the motel office and called the police. (This was before the prevalence of cell phones. The moral of this story is that if you choose to carry a gun, it should be instantly available, or it is of no value.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 AM
williamnovak
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I carry concealed at home and away and have for many years. Since I wear a sport coat or suit most of the time,either linen or poplin in the heat of the summer or tweed or flannel in the cold of the winter I invariably have a .45 Colt Commander,Glock .45 ACP or Browning Hi Power with me. Even if I'm dressing down more like a workman a shoulder holster is easily concealed under a work short. A hammer schrouded J-frame is always in an ankle holster. If wearing short pants & short sleeve shirts I prefer safari style with cargo pockets that fit custom CC holsters. I often carry a very small leather bag that can fit a small frame auto as well as extra eyeglasses and what have you..an extra magazine.
I hunt and shoot clays often so the trunk of the sedan or Land Rover has at least two sporting shotguns as well. So yes I always carry and usually at least two handguns and up to about three.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:32 AM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only carry on days that end in "Y". We're a 2A state, so it's legal anywhere. My fav CCW is a SW airweight snubby in 38 spl. Light, small and just a bump under my shirt in the summer. Also, a SW 9mm on or under the seat of the car. Been carrying for about 25 years. Only once while checking into a motel and a large gent insisted that he help me and my beautiful lady carry the luggage did I peel back my coat and 'expose' it. He got the clue and took off like a scalded cat.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 AM
MrGrytt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always carry except when going to the post office or shower. At home it is always on me or within an arm's reach. I do my best to avoid places where carry isn't allowed. Had a permit for at least 35 years. Live in upstate New York.
My carry gun is a Colt Combat Commander or a Ruger SR1911 Commander.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~mrgrytt/N...Twinscr302.jpg
Old 04-12-2018, 03:21 AM
gordo7
US Marines Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
24/7/365 I live the 2 second rule.....
Old 04-12-2018, 06:55 AM
pkevinb
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill View Post
Church was mentioned.... in our congregation of about 300 most Sunday mornings, I know of at least 14 of us packing, including all the pastors. When I’m on stage playing in the praise band, there are normally 2 or 3 other concealed pistols on stage not including mine... so we’re covered from the front. And once church starts, all doors are locked except one, and it is guarded by an armed guard with our security team! The children’s building is totally locked down while occupied to prevent strangers from wandering in, and of course part of our security team is posted there too.
Sounds very similar to the church I attend.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:48 AM
anglertoo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sleep next to them. I carry an IWB Sig P239 .357 when I can. Otherwise a Smith J frame pocket 38 Special. I don't patronize no-gun businesses.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 AM
L2ACR
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I lived in Houston I carried 24/7, especially wary in Big Box Store parking lots, like Walmart's. Carried a S&W Air Lite 357 revolver but always had .38 self defense in the revolver. Used an ankle holster. Now that I live in the country in SW Virginia I do not feel the need to carry. However, I do keep my permit active. Problem in Virginia is no Castle Law here. I do keep a gun in my truck, especially during interstate trips in case of a flat tire or breakdown on the interstate near a city.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 AM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in southern Az., am 73, can't run, too old to put up much of a fight so I carry every day. Sometimes legal, sometimes probably not depending on where I am. I don't worry about it.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:12 PM
RonL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Every day, everywhere. XD-S9, Ruger LCP. AND, dry practice, EVERYDAY!!!!! An errant bullet can cost you a bunch. Recently the cops fired about 20 rounds at a burglar and hit him 8 times. Does anyone ever ask where the other 12 rounds went?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:35 PM
3six13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I "carry" everyday, but essentially because if I'm not carrying on my body I have it in my gym bag since I generally always have it with me anyway. Never really was fond of the idea of off-body carry, but the kit bags I've randomly shifted to has a side pocket that's conveniently right by my hand while walking, so I figured why not if the alternative is not carrying at all.

Pretty much started doing that one hot/humid summer where my clothes were too thin & sweaty to carry discreetly and it just continued as the norm. It also sometimes allow me to go with a small carry on me and a larger in my bag as well, though I don't really do that all that often.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:57 PM
grgsailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I carry when I am hunting deer with a crossbow, Otherwise always have a j frame in the truck. I belong to a club in the adjacent state and think it will allow me to haul a pile of guns to practice with at the range. I have a wide range of pistols from a FIE 25acp to combat commanders.

Yes there are a lot of crazy druggies in the town next to where I live. Police find guns in autos every night that were stolen by bad guys.
I do have a carry when I am selling something out of my house to a stranger.