Should I Cut and thread 452 for suppressor? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Easttnhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Should I Cut and thread 452 for suppressor?

I have a VERY accurate 452 American 22LR. I have a 50/100 yard homemade range beside my house and I really enjoy shooting often. I was lucky to get one that shoots CCI SV as good as it does any other load so shooting is inexpensive.

The reason I got the gun though was to squirrel hunt. It is a beautiful gun and I love hunting with it as well as target shooting.

I want a 452 American with a 16" thread barrel but can't seem to find one. Would it be crazy to have mine cut and threaded? I guess I worry about messing up an amazing gun.

Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:43 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
If you have a gunsmith that you trust, go for it! Accuracy should not be affected.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (150)
If you can do it your self I'd say maybe as you'll lose collector value. If it were me I'd buy a 455 already done. If you have a little one coming up the 455 scout is threaded 1/2x28 with a 16" barrel for $300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 11:49 PM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would say if you're getting benchrest accuracy out of this rifle I wouldn't touch it at all .I'm just superstitious that way. I will tell you if you have a good gunsmith in your area there is no reason why he couldn't thread and recrown the barrel. I personally would not change the length or have it rebarreled that's just me though.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:08 AM
Easttnhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all! I didn't realize that about the scout. I may go that route as I actually hate to mess with the gun and I do have two girls that shoot some. That would allow for a short and quiet squirrel gun.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Should I Cut and thread 452 for suppressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttnhunter View Post
Thank you all! I didn't realize that about the scout. I may go that route as I actually hate to mess with the gun and I do have two girls that shoot some. That would allow for a short and quiet squirrel gun.

The Scout is probably the best route to go. Id hesitate to cut something that accurate. Ive had two Americans cut to 17.25 and they both exhibited vibration issues. The accuracy was horrendous. Had them recut to 16.5 and the accuracy returned.

Once you hunt squirrels suppressed, you will not want to hunt them any other way. Its addictive and now Id like all my rifles threaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 05:33 PM
seagiant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi,
Saw this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ6Ow-hzmjY
Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
WOW, never saw a 3 jaw that I would trust to do that work.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:51 AM
bumperm
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
WOW, never saw a 3 jaw that I would trust to do that work.
I'm with you there! I make a small plug to fit snuggly in the bore, then center the barrel off that with a test indicator using a 4 jaw, that way the bore will be concentric with the threads - there are instances where the bore isn't perfectly concentric with the outside of the barrel.

I've cut down and threaded a couple of CZ 452's (22 LR and 17 HMR) for suppressor with no accuracy degradation I can see.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 AM
clr8ter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That video in post 7 is exactly the reason I'm reluctant to let any local guys thread my barrel.
To the OP: I'm pretty much in the same position with a 453. I'm choosing not to touch it. If needed, I'll go buy another 17 HMR already threaded, or to have threads cut on.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:05 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't thread mine, even if I didn't already have a factory threaded 452 with wood stock.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought about this a bit for some other guns. I have an anschutz 1717 and 1422 that I wanted to shoot suppressed, and I didnt like the barrel length on either of them with the suppressor on. I think you're situation is sort of better though since the CZ 452 receivers are threaded. I slugged the barrels on both my anschutzes. The 1717 (17 hmr) was very uniform, so I had it cut down it 17". But the 1422 (22lr) was non uniform at all and tightened up on the last 3" at muzzle. This isn't one of the funny barrels with a lump at the muzzle, just a typical looking barrel. So I'm either going to sell the 1422 or have it rebarreled. In the mean time I bought CZ 455 I think if I were in your shoes I'd drive some slugs down the barrel and if it tightened at all toward the muzzle, just try another barrel..
Old 03-11-2018, 09:59 AM
laflaone
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Find someone who has a lot of experience threading barrels, and has a CNC milling machine. Even if you have to send your barrel by UPS to get it done, as I did. The threading has to be just right, or you could get a baffle strike.

Go into getting a suppressor with your eyes open. It's going to cost you at least $600 to get one, after you figure the suppressor cost, $200 BATFE tax stamp, barrel threading, FFL fee, etc. Also, you are looking at around an eight month wait to get the stamp.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperm View Post
I'm with you there! I make a small plug to fit snuggly in the bore, then center the barrel off that with a test indicator using a 4 jaw, that way the bore will be concentric with the threads - there are instances where the bore isn't perfectly concentric with the outside of the barrel.

I've cut down and threaded a couple of CZ 452's (22 LR and 17 HMR) for suppressor with no accuracy degradation I can see.
A spider is also a very good addition!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Surly
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do it. And then get a silencer for it.