Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

NEW Anschutz Match 54.30 ...The Evolution

25K views 59 replies 30 participants last post by  Brian_K 
#1 ·
Coming soon to an Anschütz dealer near you!

I had the pleasure of seeing this first hand at the IWA show last month in Germany. They had it tucked away behind closed doors.
The new Match 54.30 is the next generation of the legendary ANSCHÜTZ Match 54 barreled action.

Email below arrived this morning from Anschutz along with the first released photos.

Greetings,

This past March at the IWA fair in Nuremberg, Germany, we debuted our newly designed Smallbore Match Rifle; the 54.30.

Today we would like to present to you some detailed information about this newly designed match rifle.

Our new Match 54.30 is a considerable evolution of the legendary ANSCHÜTZ Match 54 barreled action.

The new smallbore Match 54.30 action distinguishes itself by following items:

- Basis for the new rifle is the well known and reliable ANSCHÜTZ Match 54 action.
- The loading port was moved 30mm rewards and was reduced in size by 18%.
- These changes increases the stiffness of the receiver.
- The closer location of the loading port allows for less movement when in position and an overall improvment in shooter ergonomics.
- To accomodate the closer location of the loading port, the bolt and the firing pin were reduced in length by 30mm.
- The weight of the firing pin was also reduced, thus resulting in velocity increase of the firing pin and a shorter lock-time.
- The overall accuracy has been improved by a newly designed ANSCHÜTZ Match chamber.
- Unlike match actions in the past, the new Match 54.30 features a threaded receiver and barrel connection. This change removes stresses in the chamber area and further increases accuracy.
- The new Match 54.30 can be installed into all available stocks which fit with the ANSCHÜTZ round match actions such as the 1907 or 1913.
- Like other ANSCHÜTZ products, the Match 54.30 features a maintenance - friendly and long lasting overall construction.
- Very competitive pricing.

Additional details about the ANSCHÜTZ Match 54.30 are included in the enclosed attachement.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us through our website or dealer network.

Match 54.30 "We Are Rimfire."

Best regards

J.G. ANSCHÜTZ GmbH & Co. KG

i.A.
Julian Klaiber
Projektassistent Vertrieb
Project assistant sales

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Now THAT is interesting! Maybe some research has shown that all those advantages of a precisely pressed and pinned barrel are not such an advantage after all...and a new match chamber...methinks the BR crowd is having some influence...or maybe Steve B.??:bthumb::bthumb: No mention of improved chambering cams, though.

I guess the downside is all new bolt parts and no interchangeability.

TBR

#5 ·
I'm sure Steve will chime in sooner or later and give some more technical insight. Steve showed it to me at IWA, he was pretty excited about the rifle, and rightfully so.

Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Bleiker and G+E Racer. From what I understand, initial testing has exceeded expectations.

#6 · (Edited)
Keeping up with Bleiker and Walther, both of which have shorter bolt throws. ;) Looks very nice, and I love those slim, Precise stocks. The up side of Anschutz stocks as opposed to Walther is adjustments only require one size of Allen wrench. Also looks like a 22mm sight at the end of that bloop tube.

#8 ·
Thanks for that info, Brad. It is indeed big news for rimfire shooters. Perhaps the biggest departure is the threaded receiver/barrel junction (echoing Teddy Bear Rat here). Do you know whether (or when) Anschutz plans to put this new action into their sporting line--the 1700 series?

#11 ·
The threaded barrel is very unique. I wonder why the break in the threading? That is what caught my eye. Also curious as to the barrel thread/pitch and if the barrel section of the action was increased or decreased? If the ID wasn't changed, then does that open the door for threading of actions when aftermarket tubes are put on? Also due to the shiny look...did they change the action metal?

#12 ·
Anschutz 54.3

Welcome to the site NordicMarksman!
Good of you to share your info. w. the guys on the site here about the new Annie. It has a lot going for it w. some good improvements.
I passed your info along locally w. my fellow 22BR shooters at Petitcodiac . They're impressed, and wondering who will be the first to show up at one of our matches. :D
VMT

#20 ·
or just fiberglass make to look like it... and round action? still? Definitely function over form (and beauty... just why is walnut and blued steel so passe? ) :D
It's aluminum. It is their Precise 3P stock. Just colored brown instead of the usual shiny chrome finish. They've also made them in blue, orange, and black.

Wood stocks are still available to buy but they are quickly falling out of favor among position shooters due to a lack of adjustment compared to the aluminum stocks. Some prone shooters and die-hards still use them and prefer them but their number is getting smaller every day.

Charlie

#16 ·
I called a vendor today and evidently the action should be available late this year in the US. I have been looking at getting a barreled action/rifle as my prone rifles are built around Winchester 52 actions which I love, but when I have problems with my Kenyon triggers where do you go?

The last month has been fascinating and most likely I will go with Anschutz especially with this new action coming out later this year. I say that as my experience with other manufacturers has been:

- G&E US - Called US dealer three times and sent three e-mails as requested - No response
- G&E Europe - Sent e-mail to Sales Director and their general e-mail address - No response
- Blieker - Called US dealer (Pardini) several times and no one was at the office. Called again and message was to call another number if they were not there - No answer at that number either

On the other hand I have e-mailed Anschutz with questions and within days I get a response. It may not have "locking lugs" and a host of other doo dads, but it is a nice well thought out improvement to the 54 series action. I am sure that if Karl Kenyon were still alive he would have chuckled to see that they intend to thread their action much as he starting doing many years ago.

It is certainly hard to argue with success!

Bill

#22 ·
Guess we know why the old style barreled actions are being sold off, looks like they're tests are proving this new action superior, and they are going "all in".
Kind of funny how the long front receiver ring flies in the face of the beliefs and claims of a well known gunsmith. Myself, I like it, it's starting to closely resemble my Diana 820S action.
Can't wait to see one on the lines.

#23 ·
Well if it is to drop into existing stocks you don't really have any other option than to have the long front ring. I don't have an action on hand to measure up, but I do have a round to square action adapter. On that measuring from the back of the adapter the rear of the rear bedding bolt hole is 1.36" So that's at least that far from the trigger unit. To the rear of the front bedding bolt hole is 4.67" that effectively fixes the length of the action. Actually if you want the rifle to look nice in existing stock you would want to keep the OAL of the action the same, I think the front bedding bolt is just about as far forwards on the action as you would want it to be even if you could shorten the front of the action a bit. I just wonder how they will fix the loading ramp in place, the current system on the round actions will not work as the stock inletting would need changing.

I guess the other alternative, a shorter action OAL to go with the shorter bolt throw, which would require a third inletting option for stocks was a move too far.

I also see that they seem to have used a variant of the slimmer 660mm xx07 barrel, I hope there will be some different weight/length options to go with the new action. I would love to see them do the slim profile in a 500mm length with extension tube. Even the heavy profile in that length would be good, I think they offered it on the early 2013's when the square action was first introduced. I know the BR version has the 500mm length.

Alan

#26 ·
I'm sure everyone else also noticed the markedly smaller loading/ejection port on the new action...probably another rigidity thing, but I don't understand the above comment about shorter bolt throw. Since the .22 LR round requires a specific minimum amount of fore-and-aft movement to load and extract, I don't see how the new action's throw could be significantly shorter, unless the old action was overly long from the start...am I missing something? I would also be very interested in the new match chamber dimensions and the research behind its development.

TBR

#27 ·
The old loading port was slightly longer than a live cartridge, so I can see that it could be trimmed a little without losing the ability to eject an unfired round.

Bob's comment on the throw may actually have meant a shorter reach to load. The Match 54 bolt is probably the longest of the current match rifles. A shorter bolt would make loading in position much easier, and in some cases actually possible, for petite and junior 3-P shooters.

#39 · (Edited)
Bob's comment on the throw may actually have meant a shorter reach to load. The Match 54 bolt is probably the longest of the current match rifles. A shorter bolt would make loading in position much easier, and in some cases actually possible, for petite and junior 3-P shooters.
Both+, actually. Shorter reach, shorter throw, shorter bolt. Compare the hind end lengths of the bolts. As I said. Catching up to Walther and Bleiker. ;)

#32 ·
If you start selling plasma now, you will get a good amount saved away before they arrive.

I suspect the first shipment is gonna get sucked up pretty quick. We already have some big fish in the pond ringing our phones.

It's been hard to keep this under wraps - very hard. I'm surprised it didn't leak out.

s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.