Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hornady VMAX Lot Variations

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  IHMSA80x80 
#1 ·
I recently purchased the Leupold CDS dial system for my 17HMR so I wanted to get a better read on the FPS of the ammo I planned to use. (Pdogs, Bunnies & Paper).

I was curious how much variation existed between different lots of Hornady VMAX and I was a bit surprised. I also threw in some Federal for the heck of it. In general, the older Hornady ammo (Red & White Label) performed much slower some of the newer lots. Both of those lots were under 2600 FPS. On the other side, a couple of newer lots of the Hornady VMAX posted ~2700+ FPS.

The newest lot, (Bottom & Blue) was purchased this week and averaged in the middle (2626).

Anybody else see lot variations as high/low as this?

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a pair of 17 HMR varmint barreled rifles and have been doing some expermenting with CCI & Federal versus Hornady and finding that CCI & Federal provide improved accuracy. I need to get my chronograph out and see what speeds I am getting out of these 20" barrels. i'm guessing there will not be as much variance in the CCI & Federal.

#4 · (Edited)
expermenting with CCI & Federal versus Hornady
I'm guessing there will not be as much variance in the CCI & Federal

All of 'em are assembled by CCI. MV's are all over the place.
Last brick had a low of 2298 fps and a high of 2746 fps.
CCI has been running those machines hard and as a result qc is less than satisfactory. :(

Try shooting those 17 hmr's at 100 plus yards
and watch how those sloppy mv's affect target results. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.