Savage, Stevens, Springfield, Clone Data Base - Page 9 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
rsv1mos
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Another thing we could look at are proofs and inspector's marks.

I have noticed the same proofs/inspectors marks on Savage/Stevens roll marked rifles as are on department store rifles. Could mean that we could ID where the department store rifles of the same era were built, either Utica, Chicopee Falls, or Westfield, and maybe even by whom.

For those that are unsure, proofs are marks made on a firearm when it passes a standard test like a 10% overload round "proving" that the chamber and barrel can stand the pressure.

An Inspector's mark is made on the firearm usually during the assembly process. Kinda like quality control. Both can be either numbers, letters, or symbols.

I have found hour glasses, numbers alone, numbers in a circle, letters, and combinations of numbers and letters.

Also, one way to tell if a receiver has been factory drilled for a scope or peep sight is to look at the way the plugs, or holes if a scope or peep sight has been installed, or if the plugs are missing are staked. Seems from the rifles I have Savage/Stevens used a very fine chisled punch to stake the plug. Aftermarket holes usually are poorly done and unstaked.

Last edited by rsv1mos; 06-24-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Hud105
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

The part of CA that will still be here when everything west of the San Andreas falls into the ocean
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Another thing we could look at are proofs and inspector's marks.
I think that's an excellent idea.
If I am understanding correctly of what you speak, here is the proof on my Chicopee Falls Springfield 87A.

Last edited by Hud105; 06-24-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 PM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes, and that's a wild one that I have seen before on one of mine. With a little investigation they might reveal some information.

Here's the hour glass and the number 5 on the partzer Springfield 87A above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 AM
OldGunbunny
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an 18 in a circle on the left rear of the barrel of my Ranger 101.11 and a 248 in a circle in the same location on my 87A
Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Based on what I know about how Remington marked their rifles, I'm guessing that the symbols are proofs and the numbers are inspector's marks. With more input maybe we can find out for sure.

Remington used symbols and numbers extensively. To date their rifles/shotguns they used the BLACKPOWDERX code, a different letter for each of the 12 months. For the year of manufacture they followed the month code with either a one or two letter code designating the year. eg. XTT (Dec 1948)

They also used the following number codes in addition to Inspector's marks/proofs:
#2 - Parts order - Barrel
3 - Service section received (repaired)
4 - Returned as received (not repaired)
5 - Employee sale

All the above were stamped in order on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. Maybe Savage used something similar, but if they did I'm sure it would have been discovered by now.

Maybe the circled numbers were codes similar to Remington's #2 thru 5 codes, or as on my partzer the #5 on top of the barrel could indicate a repair???

Last edited by rsv1mos; 06-25-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM
ScrapBrass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was wondering about that. My original 6A has something that looks sort of like a mushroom. The other has a different symbol...

Yes, I'll get photos when i add my entries.

I haven't forgotten - I've just dropped off the face of the earth for a bit while
work has ramped up way, way too much.

SB
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Justibm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was wondering what that mark meant. Here is the mark on my Ranger 101.16. Don't know what it is supposed to resemble.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Second $20.00 parts rifle data:

Manufacturer: Savage/Stevens - Wards Western Field 59A
Factory: Not noted, probably Chicopee Falls
Patents: 2094577 (Others pending)
Receiver and sights: Standard gold bead front and dovetailed leaf rear
Barrel: 24 inch, no factory roll mark. CAL 22 LONG RIFLE SMOKLESS GREASED ONLY
Trigger mechanism: Long
Lifter: Solid
Stock: Parts rifle missing stock, probably walnut finished birch. Other parts missing were inner magazine tube, rear sight elevator. Misc.: Ventilation rib missing from right side, 10/32 plug screws missing.
Magazine: Tube fed.
Symbols/Proofs: 3 in a circle top left side, “A” behind “Smokeless Greased Only” stamp. 7 under stock line.

Not pretty to look at, but it sure does shoot.

Put a stock on it this morning and shot it untouched. I did check the bore to ensure it was clear and found a shiney bore with some light powder residue.

Loaded five rounds of Federal HV Lightning and five rounds of Remington Subsonics all cycled perfectly. What a pleasure not to have to fight a balky action. Popped an empty beer can off-hand at about 20 yards, then aiming just under it tossed it about 15 feet in the air. What fun. Florida's sandy soil usually precludes ricochets, but I shoot into a banking anyway.

This was the better of the two last parts rifles I bought. It was missing the inner mag tube and rear sight elevator. I made a magazine out of an old Remington 550-1 magazine by cutting it to length (about 1/2" off the plug end) and using the existing Remington plug, follower, and follower spring. Takes a little file work and you have to drill a new hole for the pin but it works perfectly. I have extra elevators in spare parts and lucked out and found two more stocks at Numrich and a couple more on line.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
OldGunbunny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Isn't this the first 'gill gun' we've seen with only the original patent, but also with a solid lifter and long trigger?

And where do you keep finding these parts rifles??
Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunbunny View Post
Isn't this the first 'gill gun' we've seen with only the original patent, but also with a solid lifter and long trigger?

And where do you keep finding these parts rifles??
Mostly from your super adept internet hunting skills. Although I think I found these two on my own. But...........the Ranger 101.11 like your's that you put me on to about three weeks ago showed up this morning. Seller said "seems to function ok"....HA...Heavy on the "seems" it would seem. More on that one later.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
OldGunbunny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, you bought that .11??

Okay!! Glad I didn't bid on it.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thought I'd add a couple of inspection stamps.

First is from my 6D. Looks like it says 5G in the circle and then a capital O.

Second is from the Sears 2200 clone Stevens 87 Series A. This one is harder, looks like probably a 94 in a circle, though the 9 is just by eliminating other characters. Then a capital J next to it.

Bob
Old 06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Looks like a smiling frog, or me after a night in a liberty port.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:20 AM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If we are still doing this, more grist for the grinder:

Manufacturer: Savage/J.C. Higgins Model 101.16
Factory: None mentioned, probably Chicopee Falls
Patents: Five upside down
Receiver and sights: Standard gold bead front and dovetailed rear
Barrel: 24 inch - J.C. Higgins model 101.16 - SEARS, ROEBUCK & COMPANY - 22 SHORT, LONG OR LONG RIFLE, LONG RIFLE ONLY AS AUTOMATIC - Drilled and tapped for both peep sights and a scope. Came with a J.C. Higgins 4X scope Patd. - Mfd by Weaver El Paso Tx
Lifter: Solid
Stock: Tenite inletted for a trigger guard
Magazine: Tube fed
Symbols/Proofs: None noted

Manufacturer: Stevens/Ranger Model 101.11
Factory: Chicopee Falls
Patents: 2094577 Others pending
Receiver and sights: Standard gold bead front, dovetailed base screwed in leaf with wide elevator. Receiver has no “gills”, oval loading port
Barrel: 24 inch, No roll-mark. CAL 22 LONG RIFLE SMOKLESS GREASED ONLY. Drilled and tapped for a scope
Trigger mechanism: Short
Lifter: Wire with “R” Spring and straight pin
Stock: Early type milled for a action cover, Birch not inletted. Stamped metal trigger guard.
Symbols/Proofs: 22 in a circle on left side of barrel

Manufacturer: Stevens/Western Field 87-SB87-TA
Factory: Not mentioned, probably Chicopee Falls
Patents: Five upside down
Receiver and sights: Standard gold bead front, dovetailed base leaf rear
Receiver: Eight left, one right. Factory drilled and tapped for both scope and peep sight.
Barrel: 24 Inch, WARDS WESTERN FIELD, 22 SHORT LONG OR LONG RIFLE, LONG RIFLE ONLY AS AUTOMATIC
Lifter: Solid, w/coil spring
Stock: Tenite inletted for a trigger guard
Symbols/proofs: ZZ) left side, 7 top of barrel
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Hud105

The part of CA that will still be here when everything west of the San Andreas falls into the ocean
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah Bob, it's still going.
I know of people that have refered to this thread to determine what they have.
Thanks for the information.