Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 PM
hoosier_sully
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Rascal target, What gives?

I just picked up this brand new rifle off from my local shop and I can't even load a round. The bolt starts to push it then abruptly crashes into the feed ramp doo hicky. I don't want to push the bolt too hard because I can already see that it's damaging the plastic ramp. Am I supposed to remove material from the front so it tucks up closer to the barrel thereby lowering where the bolt hits? Maybe I can ramp the lower edge of the bolt so it makes it easier to push the feedramp down.. This is really unacceptable that I have to do this kind of work just to get the gun to work properly.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 AM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just take it back I bet you they'll fix it

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
On any single-shot rifle, my loading procedure is to start the round into the chamber with my finger, then close the bolt. Try that out. The heavy-barrel Rascals are remarkably accurate; see my bolt-action shootoff thread in Open Rimfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 11:33 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What Tom said above, although the ramp does help to get the round started.

I took the stock off and wrapped some string around the part of the ramp that is under the receiver. This acts as a shim to lower the height of the ramp so that the bolt slides over the edge of the ramp. As an alternate, you could chamfer the edge of the ramp.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the tip on the string. I will try that. I did try chamfering a little myself, but didn't want to take it too far.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:33 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You shouldn't have to modify a new rifle,,,

You shouldn't have to modify a new rifle to make it work,,,
I would at least call Savage and ask their support people about it.

Aarond

Old 03-25-2020, 09:40 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Take it back to the shop and ask them to 'show you how it works'. Once they have trouble with it your options will become clear.
Imo you dont want to have Savage say 'send it in'; this isnt your problem to deal with. The shop was supposed to sell you a working product.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
If they are a shop that carries more than one of these they should just exchange. It's really not that hard for them to do it even if they say so. It's their job.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This seems to be a common problem with the Rascal.

Savage CS needs to hear about this (they probably know about the problem already).

I have two Rascals that I really like. IMO this is a minor issue that I had rather fix myself than send it back to Savage.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:47 PM
hoosier_sully

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
A lot of good info, thanks for that. I had the shop special order this one for me so exchanging it was out of the question. Given with what's all going on right now I chose not to send it back and just do the work myself. I'm more than confident in my abilities, plus we're under a shelter in place order and I've got nothing better to do. I'm sure I have voided the warranty but at least I have a rifle that works like it's supposed to. I went ahead and throated and polished the 6 o'clock position on the breech face to assist the round entering the chamber without shaving lead from the bullet. I did the 12 o'clock position as well just in case I had a round that wanted to crash into the top of the chamber. Once that was done I addressed the issue with the feedramp. I removed about 1/3 of the plastic material from the long end (barrel side) so that the ramp would naturally sit lower in the opening. Unfortunately that was not enough and I ended up wrapping a .005" thick brass shim around the other end (breech side) and that worked great. A slight clicking noise was still present when the ramp was being depressed. I noticed that it was being caused by the shoulder bolt holding the feedramp assembly to the receiver. I put a slight taper to the abrupt edge of the bolt just below the threads and that annoying clicking was history. I re-profiled and polished the rearmost part of the ramp just a little to help it to go down easier when the bolt was being closed.
I disassembled the entire bolt with the exception of the ejector and set all those parts aside. With that done I could finally start to ramp the lower front of the bolt. I didn't go crazy and remove a ton of material, it just needed a little help to start pushing the feedramp down. While the bolt was apart I figured it couldn't hurt to smooth the cocking cutout and the cocking button stud with some wet/dry 1000 grit and a little oil. While I was at it I did the raceway where the bolt handle rides all the way through it's travels. Finally I have a rifle that operates as intended, and closes with just a little light thumb pressure. I put a lot of work into this little rifle and I get it, it's not an expensive gun...I don't expect it to be buttery smooth but it should work from the factory. Hope this helps if anyone is having problems with theirs.
Sully
Old 03-26-2020, 02:42 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Oh, so they are a pre-assembled kit! Lots of that with lots of stuff these days....
Sounds like you got 'er done, now to get to the shootin part.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you did a thorough and fantastic job. I will save your post for future reference.

The feed ramp on the Mark I youth model that I used to have (sold it to a guy who wanted it for his granddaughter) was very simple and worked without any issues.