Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Scope Considerations

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  spider 
#1 ·
There is a thread here about putting a rifle scope on a Contender and it has me interested in trying that for my 12" 22LR barrel. For those that have tried this and like it, are there any special considerations when buying a rifle scope intended for a Contender?

Do you go for the smallest, lightest scope that has the other features you want? Any other special considerations, or do you just pick one like you would if getting it for a rifle?

#2 ·
What kind of shooting are you planning on? Just as with a rifle, picking a scope depends on size of your intended target, what distance, offhand, rested, silhouette? The ones I have seen with rifle scopes are for silhouette shooting, with the shooter laying prone. Some are using reversed AR type scope mounts to put the scope farther to the rear for dealing with the rifle scope's eye relief. Take this example for instance:

I have several Super 14 barrels with handgun scopes mounted, and I shoot them rested on a bipod.

#3 ·
I want to use it to hunt squirrel and be able to shoot it offhand without a rest. This suggests to me that I should pick a small and light scope, but I want a better field of view and clarity and higher magnification than I get with pistol scopes.

I am going to the range today and try a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12X today but it looks awfully big on my little contender. We'll see.

#4 ·
A Burris 2-8x pistol scope would be where I would go if trying to shoot it off hand. Shooting off hand at high power is extremely difficult, impossible for me. From a bench rest the higher powers and shorter eye relief work well on small calibers but are heavy and not easy to carry in the woods.

#8 ·
Just back from the range. I forget who gave me this idea but boy am I glad they did. It's unbelievable at my age to have such a clear view of the target.

I need practice for sure, but off a Bog Pod tripod I could shoot minute of squirrel at 50 yards. Off a Stoney Point monopod I could do it at 25 yards. Off hand I tried the Taco hold and I would not try a shot on a live animal yet like that but I saw a lot of improvement just over the course of one range session. I think with practice I will get there.

Off a bag it is a revelation how accurate my TC is with the match bull 22lr barrel.

I was shooting all the way up to 12X, though at this point I need it down to 4X offhand.

I thought the scope looked too big when I first mounted it. After shooting it I think it looks just right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.