Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Mr. Pick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv1mos View Post
That is interesting OGb. Our Rangers have no factory markings, while Windustsearch's Savage was built in Utica. Maybe both of ours were made there, or maybe farmed out to Fulton???
I think you may be on to something here that has been bugging me. I have a known, 1947 model 87A with 5 patent numbers and "Chicopee Falls" on the barrel. By all accounts I have read, manufacturing moved to from Utica to Chicopee Falls in late 1946. That means my 87A should be one of the first guns manufactured after the move, certainly it was produced within the first year of production.

I also have another 87A with two patent numbers and Chicopee Falls on the barrel. I do not know when this gun was originally produced or sold. So at least two barrel versions must have been produced at Chicopee Falls in the first year of production there, assuming the two patent gun preceded the five patent gun in manufacture...

But, it seems unlikely to me that they would have gone through 3 different barrel markings in the first year of manufacturing at Chicopee Falls (one patent, two patent and five patents) so I suspect that a one patent number gun would be a Uticah gun, but of course that's just a theory.

Unless of course, contrary to what I've read, they were producing some of the model 6/87's at Chicopee Falls all along before the Utica plant closed in 1946?

Last edited by Mr. Pick; 06-13-2010 at 05:32 PM.