US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 hornet and 22 Hornet

Wish we had threads on the 17 Hornet and a 22 Hornet
Old 11-15-2019, 03:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here you go. you have to go to centerfire section for them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=17+h...hrome&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCAs&uact=5
Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 hornet is a junk round. It must be shot with a compressed load to get it to shoot at all group wise.
I have played with 3 different hornets.
Browning, Winchester and one other, can’t remember,,, hmr would smoke all for groups at 100 yards, not even close.
All guns had factory ammo, various shot in them.
17 hmr savage dominated.

22 Hornets were laughable really for groups.
The truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
22 hornet is a junk round. It must be shot with a compressed load to get it to shoot at all group wise.
Browning, Winchester and one other, canít remember,,, hmr would smoke all for groups at 100 yards, not even close.
17 hmr savage dominated.

The truth.

Wow.. hhmmnnn "the truth?? I'm sorry, I don't often reply to these types of posts, but you have made some blanket statements here that, while they may indeed be your personal experience, certainly don't reflect what the .22 Hornet round is capable of in a good rifle. I certainly DON'T want to start a pissing match, BUT---In a decent rifle, with no mechanical issues (headspace, bedding, etc) and with a good shooter steering, Factory ammo should easily produce MOA or better groups, with some ammo "lots" performing better than others. However, with properly crafted handloads, and preferably shot in a 1-14 twist barrel (Ruger M77 Hornets are so equipped), 1/2 MOA or better is certainly within reach. While I don't have the capability to post pics here, I would be glad to email you some targets shot with my Rugers (one is a "standard" Hornet and one a "K" Hornet). It is worth mentioning here that many Hornets were manufactured with a 1-16 twist rate that really is not optimum for maximum accuracy with modern boat tail bullets. Finally, it may be prudent for you to remember that experiences and opinions vary before making "blanket" statements, such as "the .22 Hornet is a junk round". Just sayin'.... Apologies for my long winded response, but that post touched a nerve.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A junk round I don't think so. The 3 hornets that I have are all moa so I don't know what you are talking about.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Browning, Winchester and one other, canít remember,,, hmr would smoke all for groups at 100 yards, not even close.
17 hmr savage dominated.

The truth.
I don't own a 22 Hornet but I do know an old geezer that shoots one that he reloads for. He gets groups that made what the 17HMR ammo of today will do look terrible in comparison.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornets

I'e never had either of the Hornets mentioned here but will share the experience os a good friend who has shot a .22 Hornet for years. He is a very detail oriented guy and reloads every center fire he shoots. The only negative thing he has ever mentioned about the .22 Hornet is that you have to be careful seating bullets to avoid collapsing case necks.

As for .17 Hornet, which one are we talking about? The old .17 Hornet which was essentially a necked-down .22 Hornet or the much newer .17 Hornady Hornet. The .17 HH would be in my arsenal if I had not been so invested in the .17 Fireball when the HH showed up. The .17 Fireball was an attempt to standardize the .17 Mach IV which was interesting in that there was no standard and your gun might not even chamber rounds loaded with my dies.

Then, of course, along came the HMR, HM2, and WSM rimfires. Enough .17s, I say!
Old 11-16-2019, 10:34 AM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot and reload for a Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter 22Hornet. Factory ammo produces 1.5" groups at 100yds. My reloads, Hornady 35gr V-Max and 13gr of Li'l Gun, consistently produces groups that measure under 1". It is a remarkably consistent shooter. I've killed 100s of prairie dogs with it out to 150yds or so. And yet, I prefer my Anschutz 17HMR because it can also do that and I don't have to reload. The necks are fragile and I've crushed a few, but that can be controlled by using a Competition grade die that has a bullet loading port that perfectly centers the bullet. I know nothing about the 17Hornet.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:41 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
Then, of course, along came the HMR, HM2, and WSM rimfires. Enough .17s, I say!
100% agree, which is why I will forever believe a 20 WSM would have been a better and more popular choice than yet, another, .17 cal rimfire.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:45 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucear View Post
Wish we had threads on the 17 Hornet and a 22 Hornet
If you scroll down to the Centerfire rifle section, there is generally plenty of discussion going on about the Hornet cartridges.

I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17 Hornets, they're two of the funnest little guns I own.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:57 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
[/U][/B]

Wow.. hhmmnnn "the truth?? I'm sorry, I don't often reply to these types of posts, but you have made some blanket statements here that, while they may indeed be your personal experience, certainly don't reflect what the .22 Hornet round is capable of in a good rifle. I certainly DON'T want to start a pissing match, BUT---In a decent rifle, with no mechanical issues (headspace, bedding, etc) and with a good shooter steering, Factory ammo should easily produce MOA or better groups, with some ammo "lots" performing better than others. However, with properly crafted handloads, and preferably shot in a 1-14 twist barrel (Ruger M77 Hornets are so equipped), 1/2 MOA or better is certainly within reach. While I don't have the capability to post pics here, I would be glad to email you some targets shot with my Rugers (one is a "standard" Hornet and one a "K" Hornet). It is worth mentioning here that many Hornets were manufactured with a 1-16 twist rate that really is not optimum for maximum accuracy with modern boat tail bullets. Finally, it may be prudent for you to remember that experiences and opinions vary before making "blanket" statements, such as "the .22 Hornet is a junk round". Just sayin'.... Apologies for my long winded response, but that post touched a nerve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatrout65 View Post
A junk round I don't think so. The 3 hornets that I have are all moa so I don't know what you are talking about.

.22 Hornet...Junk ? Send me more junk...

These are pretty typical for my CZ527 American with Hornady factory 35 gr. Vmax, any Ground Hog within 200 yards has died where they stood.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Browning, Winchester and one other, can’t remember,,, hmr would smoke all for groups at 100 yards, not even close.
17 hmr savage dominated.

The truth.
You are full up, your eyes have turned Brown. TWO hundred yard target, target squares are 1/2" on a side, since I doubt you read French. Tell me again how they won't shoot. I have owned and loaded for dozens of Hornets, both 17 and 22. It is rare I can't get one to shoot this well and all the 22 H are 1:16 twist with 40 grain bullets. Let me see you do that with an HMR!

17 FB with 30 grain Bergers, which is pretty close to a 17 HH for one more example. Fun part is I can load 50 of either for the same price as 50 HMR.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-16-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
If you scroll down to the Centerfire rifle section, there is generally plenty of discussion going on about the Hornet cartridges.

I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17 Hornets, they're two of the funnest little guns I own.
I bought the same rifle this year before Spring and reloaded 1000 rounds after some load testing. The following month I was killing ground squirrels way out there! Not just killing but literally sending them airborne.

Crazy accurate gun and caliber combination.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
17 hmr savage dominated.

The truth.
Troll.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:15 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Still a junk cartridge to me.
Factory shells shot poorly multiple ones. All 3 guns.
My hmr with factory and 204 ruger both smoke them all.
The truth.

Been a member here a long time.
No troll here.

Some folks might not want or like to reload. If that is the case dodge the 22 Hornet. Free advice. Didnít cost a penny.