Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Pretty picture, FS. Looks like a fair traipse to the mail box. Whot's your arm and load of choice when loosing the hounds on briar rabbit?
--

24 @ 8A w/chill factor of 13 and still howling from the north, however the sun is out. So that automatically makes it less cold, eh? Guess I'm a wuss compared to many of you and the winter weather you normally experience.

Was a time I enjoyed freezing my tail off and still do some of it when crane, duck & goose hunting, but its much harder on my old bones these days than it used to be. Used to could sit in a freezing stand all day just watching and on occasion taking a bambi for the larder or a shoat feral hog should a sounder come along to feed or traipse about in freezing cold for the better part of a day in below freezing weather hunting. Thinking those times are now past, but I much enjoyed it when I could doit.

Bride fixed oatmeal for breakfast. And asked me if I enjoyed my 'anniversary' oatmeal. Hint hint.

She'd bought some steel cut Irish oats of some sort not long ago that turned out to be porridge! One bowl of that junk was sufficient. It had about as much appeal as blood sausage or the kidney pie the Brits like. Yuck. Quickly filed it under 'vile things to be avoided for the pallet'. There are some foods you only need experience but once. In that way, its sorta like marriage, but opposite where the vow is also for a lifetime.

She said she was still asleep when I wished her a happy anniversary earlier, but she'll find her day salted w/some nice trinkets as she putters about, so there is that.

Still may take her to see Midway this afternoon too, but it depends on how fast she gets a move on, on this very chilly morning. She has now elected to put the movie off until later in the week.

All good. Its just now warmed to ambient freezing.

The Cana's in back were nice yesterday morning. They are dead gray/black this morning. Time to cut them back.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
I have been saying for years that I am going to sell off a bunch of cowboy guns that I no longer use... they are still here!

Waaaaaaay too much info! (I won't say how I avoided that situation! )

As noted, it is a crappy, cold, drizzly day outside. My plan is to do some food shopping (I don't make groceries, as they are pretty much already made when I get to the store! ). I may buy a few shirts for work while out and do some other assorted errands. The plan is to be in the gym by 2:00pm!

Hope y'all have a great day!

R
I hear the shirts are already made as well.
......Tom Petty
Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
In the lower peninsula of Michigan the only poisonous snake is the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. The venom of a Massasauga is more toxic than that of most other rattlesnakes, but the amount it injects is relatively small compared to those snakes. Adults range from about 20 - 30 inches long and fairly docile as rattle snakes go. You usually have to either step on one or handle one to be bitten. The Massasauga is federally protected and most people have never seen one and won't. The only other poisonous snake rumored to be found in Michigan is in the upper peninsula. The mythical Yooper Viper is extremely elusive and the bite said to be almost certainly to be fatal.

I have never seen a Massasauga rattler. My limited experience with venomous snakes has been with the prairie rattle snake in Northwestern Kansas in the area of the homestead farm. Had an aunt that was bitten by one while cutting a cabbage in the garden as well as a cousin while collecting Easter grass for a basket. Another aunt killed one on her porch and an uncle was nearly bit by a strike that only caught his pant leg. My aunt that was bit was fortunate in that it was mostly likely a "dry" bite. As a teenager at the time, she had to put her make up before seeking medical attention. My cousin did not fair as well, but survived with out lasting damage. I've had a few near encounters while visiting the family farmstead but nothing close to being struck.

List of fatal snake bites:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
The Massasauga is only known to be in a few small areas of Pa, but not in my area. Around here we have the Copper Head, and the Timber Rattler which can be found in two patterns, a dark phase and a light phase. Of the three I have only seen one Yellow and one Dark phase in the wild, and no Copper heads.
When I was about 12-13 I helped a local a few times bailing hay. Got paid $5.00 a day for a long hot day, easy money ya know. It wasn't a high tech operation, a tractor pulled the bailer and an old jeep pulled the hay wagon. A friend and I walked beside the wagon tossing the bails on. About half way through one day I was tossing a bail on and there was about 6-8 inches of the rattle end of a light phase in front of my face. Needless to say that bail didn't make it on the wagon, and by the time it hit the ground I was already gone. We busted up the bail and there was only about 1' of the snake in it. It had been cut up when cutting the hay and that was the only piece that made it into that bail. The rest of the day I did my picking up and tossing at arms length. One of them things I'll remember forever.
The Mrs. was a pharmacist and over the years worked in two local hospitals. Both of them carried one anti venom that was good for 4 different eastern snake bites, two of them being the Copper Head and Rattler, the other two she doesn't remember as we had none in this area. She was the head of the pharmacy for the smaller hospital, and they only carried a small amount of the antivenom even though it was dosed by weight. The next county north had Rattle snake hunts every year and always had a good supply on hand if needed. In the 15+ years she was at that hospital the antivenom was only used twice, and that was by the local vet. She said that if a situation arose that antivenom couldn't be borrowed within a few county area that the state police would relay it from the Harrisburg area.

Quote:
A number of years back I pulled a little trick to really confuse the clerks while Christmas shopping. I got a hundred brand new sequential serial number $1.00 bills and took them to a printer I knew. The printer made them up into a note pad complete with the glued edge and paperboard backing.

I then went Christmas shopping and would count off the number of bills necessary to make the purchase, rip them off the pad together, handing them to the checkout clerk. I would mumble something about just having printed them up in my basement before coming out shopping. Got a lot of concerned looks, and hesitation from clerks unsure if they should accept the cash or not.
When I was about 20 I was working for a grocery store chain as a stock clerk and had transferred to a store in Bedford Pa, about 30 miles away, setting off the turnpike interchange. They had also trained me to run cash register and would call me up front every time they thought it was busy. About every other month the local bank would call and inform the store that the Gypsy's were in town. They tried to get me once but I wasn't quit as susceptible as some of the others. They plaid a game where they got a bag of potatoes and held out a hundred dollar bill as I totaled the register, then as I reached for it they found a five and also wanted a pack of chewing gum added on. I stopped, voided the register and told them we would start over. Confusion was their game, and they are good at it.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:53 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
If today's weather were a book, it would be Les Miserables.
Still getting lake defect snow, blustery winds and single digit chilliness.

When is Thanksgiving again?

And then there's this for all you Texicans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75220634_2535369463245731_2429668801848016896_n.jpg (12.7 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 11-12-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:11 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Lovely day here in Yuma, about 80 degrees and sunny at 11:00 AM . 10 of us geezers got togather at the range at 0800 for some .22 benchrest at 100 yards. I did pretty good but a couple other guys did a couple points better. Lunch will on the table pretty soon and a practice nap is scheduled for a little later.

Someone has to do it.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:38 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Started out cool and damp, now cold and damp, just started getting some Snow Grains. Won't amount to any thing, still demoing the floors, found shingles used to level a spot in the linoleum. Some of the stuff they've found has me questioning the ethics and skill of a supposedly "excellent contractor", this is stuff done by the original builder 25 years ago.

Well its all getting fixed right now.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:49 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Or that.
Maybe you'd better not let the state boys look at it, or they might take your pension or birthday or sumpin' away.
Sumpin being the Mayor's Roundup?
Wadda coincidence. I found a huge dead male/boar limb chicken under my feeder also. It had just driven off another when it keeled over, thud. I think Tubby IIIIV had a coronary arrest from too much lead ingestion.
ETA- the last chippy of 2019 had a warble or a scar from one. Never noticed em on chippies until a couple years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Lovely day here in Yuma, about 80 degrees and sunny at 11:00 AM . 10 of us geezers got togather at the range at 0800 for some .22 benchrest at 100 yards. I did pretty good but a couple other guys did a couple points better. Lunch will on the table pretty soon and a practice nap is scheduled for a little later.

Someone has to do it.
Razzberries!
BIL is taking his shotgun to AZville to shoot clay whence he leaves this mo. after his son brings him back downstate where his son chases bad guys and the SIL awaits her spouse that drives her crazy. She quit packing his clothes for him last year and all he had when he hit AZ was his $100 ukulele carefully packed inside of an extra pr of jeans and a shirt inside a suitcase.

Refilled the feeder @ 12˚F.

Oh, have an appmnt to get an encapsulated warble looking something exam and hopefully removed from the cartilage fold on my outer ear 'flap' Fri., justin case y'all don't hear from me again. This hopefully will also be seen by the ENT doc that installed the un-autographed pigskin in my pie hole. It was either early Fri. or mid Dec. which would've interfered with my xmas shopping...chortle guffaw!
Old 11-12-2019, 02:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Thats probably what I woulda said.

Finn's Apple laptop is too old for upgrading but she won't do her homework if she wants a tablet OR a smaller 13" solid state laptop weighing 3#. I pointed out the unread bookmarks I saved for her to read but she's a tough nut to crack sometimes, err, most of the time. She borrows mine to go on Safari which is no longer supported on hers. Sound familiar Mayor?
IMO+E she wouldn't like the smaller print and pix on a tablet vs the larger laptop she enjoys.
Don't be such a tight wad, pony up and buy your wife a $2400 MAC book pro.
......Tom Petty
Old 11-12-2019, 03:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The MAC's are nice , but they are so friggin expensive. And if they break, fugedaboutit.
......Tom Petty
Old 11-12-2019, 03:18 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Winter storm warning has been lifted, but lake shore flood warning and winds remain to slowly abate. Presently 23 and WW say it will drop to 13 overnight. AL, SHUT THE DANG DOOR!

Got around 5 inches of s### from the storm. Was above freezing and the ground still warm when it started, so bottom layers are frozen crunchy so difficult to shovel and scrape. Street was finally plowed, but piles of raked into the gutter leaves became strewn in the snow plow furrow. Large piles of leaf mixed s### in the end of some drive ways becoming frozen impediments to vehicular passage. That stuff sets up like reinforced concrete with the leaves mixed in. Thankfully the end of my drive doesn't appear too filled.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:31 PM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good Afternoon!

It's cold, I think we finally cleared the freezing point (on the way up).
Old 11-12-2019, 03:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
For those considering new laptops, be aware that many of them are no longer user serviceable friendly. Built in not easily replaceable batteries. Sealed cases without access covers so difficult to upgrade or change memory modules or hard drives.

Last HP I got about 4 years ago was not friendly. New Dell at werk at that time was still friendly. This may be a good time of year to replace. HP had decent build to order black Friday pricing when I got it, but it took a bit of time to get it. Dell was a nicely pre configured after the holidays sale model that was very well priced. Beware of price point black Friday sales models that may be lacking some desirable features so that attractive prices may be offered.

Disclaimer: My thoughts are worth what you paid for it. Remember I am a technology impaired simple geezer.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:45 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
37 degrees and sleeting [melting as ground is extremely warm].

Went to drive truck. Water dripping at back window fast. Put towel on the spot on back seat. Got Philips and tighten the screws to the new high brake light. Was down to an occasional drip. Why did I have to tighten??? When it dries, got silicone sealant to go around gasket and screws. Bet made in China.

Errands done. Now garden club tonight. I'm president because the ladies didn't want to hurt past president's feelings. She was micro managing everyone and treating them like it was their jobs. Folks were dropping out. So I announced I would take the presidency. She keeps trying to run everything but slowly I am "letting her down". Seems like everyone wants me to do things.

Ate at Burger King in Knightdale. Was eating a whopper and cheese with fries. While there, man came in in poor attire. Wet. Nose dripping like Fred's. Sat hiding from management. Watched him. He said to himself, "I can stand the cold but not the rain." Pulled out a pack of crackers and cheese. Started eating. As we were the only 2 there, I walked up to the lady and told her to give him a meal just like I had. Paid her and walked out.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
For those considering new laptops, be aware that many of them are no longer user serviceable friendly. Built in not easily replaceable batteries. Sealed cases without access covers so difficult to upgrade or change memory modules or hard drives.

Last HP I got about 4 years ago was not friendly. New Dell at werk at that time was still friendly. This may be a good time of year to replace. HP had decent build to order black Friday pricing when I got it, but it took a bit of time to get it. Dell was a nicely pre configured after the holidays sale model that was very well priced. Beware of price point black Friday sales models that may be lacking some desirable features so that attractive prices may be offered.

Disclaimer: My thoughts are worth what you paid for it. Remember I am a technology impaired simple geezer.
It's all on the throw away & replace in 3-5 years plan anyway.

Laptops have never been user serviceable past a certain point IMHO.
I did a repair on one a few years back. Desolder & replace the charging port. A lot of work to get access & then reconnect it all.
Never been a laptop fan. Necessary evil is as good as it gets for me.

When comparing all the little details get hard to track. Then all the specs aren't necessarily listed correctly, can't trust the pics, etc.

I just bought a couple of gamers old rigs - good deals.

I sitting in front of a 32" monitor typing this. It's only 1 though. I'm not on the AZTarget level.

Last edited by Mike Clark; 11-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:00 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post

Ate at Burger King in Knightdale. Was eating a whopper and cheese with fries. While there, man came in in poor attire. Wet. Nose dripping like Fred's. Sat hiding from management. Watched him. He said to himself, "I can stand the cold but not the rain." Pulled out a pack of crackers and cheese. Started eating. As we were the only 2 there, I walked up to the lady and told her to give him a meal just like I had. Paid her and walked out.
You're a good man, Frank

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Closed Thread