Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Joe A.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I just have to reply to this thread again just to say that my Mark IV Hunter is great. I havenít shot any lately due to the heat but today it was only in the low 90ís and a it was very nice late yesterday so I headed to the pasture each time to burn up some 15-20 year old ammo that has experienced extreme storage conditions. I fired over 200 rounds each time with only 2 mishaps. One was failure to fire with a Winchester from an old tattered carton that had been wet. The other was a far better condition Winchester round that didnít return to battery. A push on the bolt it fired fine. I was expecting far more issues. I still have a couple of hundred more to shoot up.

Couple of months ago I begin to experience a lot of failure to fire and stovepipes with Federal Value Pack 36 grain hps. After removing the bolt I slid a cartridge under the extractor and the round would only barely hang there. I cleaned the extractor and then it would firmly hold the round. From then on the Mark IV has fired and ejected great with only are rare ftf with the Federal but none with CCI.

I have several nice 22 handguns and the Mark IV is my favorite by far.

Joe
Old 09-06-2019, 05:54 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
fourbore,
I would totally agree that a Government model is best in accuracy. Wish you would post a picture of your Government Model. Never wanted to pay the extra for one though. But the accuracy is the only advantage that it would have. Not that accuracy is not very important, definitely is the most important. But I find all three of my Marks to be accurate also. I have had all models of the Marks over the years except prior to the Mark II. All are good but the two has nothing that compares to the four. When I had my 10" Mark II I replaced the lower with a Mark III, it had the best of all worlds at the time. The Mark IV is just a joy in every aspect and will never buy another prior series again. But as stated everyone likes what they like and that is what makes this world so great.
Please post a picture of your Government model.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:53 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jstanfield103 - Sure, my pleasure. Here is my Mk II, it does not look much different than any other Mark series gun. Mine is not drilled and tapped. I think a Mk II slab side would be another excellent choice in a used Mk II.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MkII_resize.jpg (79.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:00 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you,
I have always wanted a Government model. Just have never seen one in the wild, just a little expensive for me to jump on one over the internet. I always have something else I think I need more.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Thank you,
I have always wanted a Government model. Just have never seen one in the wild, just a little expensive for me to jump on one over the internet. I always have something else I think I need more.
The Government Target models are really no more accurate than any of the other target models . They were required to put 10 rounds inside of 1.25" at 25 yd and came with a test target as proof. Based upon many test reports I have read over the years I think most of the Ruger MK series of target pistols from the MK I to the MK IV will provide this same level of accuracy & better. When shot from a sand bag rest and with a red dot installed my MK II Competiton Target keeps decent ammo such as SK Stand Plus inside of an inch with no trouble at all. My MK IV 22/45 Lite will keep CCI Stnd Velo inside of 1.5" with most closer to the 1.0" mark also at 25 yds. from a rest.
The Government Target model how ever was the only model GUARANTEED to shoot to a certain level of accuracy.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:06 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Empe,
Was the Government model different in it's rifling ? I thought it was. I took my Mark IV Hunter out to the range today and put up a couple targets at 25 yards. I got my last round after a few adjustments of 10 rounds at that 25 yards just under an inch. This is with a tube type Red Dot which I do prefer.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
No the Govt target model is the same gun as the other MK II's except that it had a roller burnished chamber that aided in the accuracy department and as mentioned before came with a target with matching serial # on it showing the accuracy of that particular gun. And it looks as if your MK IV Hunter would have more than qualified as a Govt Target Model with 10 rounds inside of 1" at 25 yds.

Last edited by Empe; 09-07-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Empe,
Was the Government model different in it's rifling ? I thought it was. I took my Mark IV Hunter out to the range today and put up a couple targets at 25 yards. I got my last round after a few adjustments of 10 rounds at that 25 yards just under an inch. This is with a tube type Red Dot which I do prefer.

< Snip pics of VERY nice pistol >
1" at 25 yards rested, or offhand? I can rarely get smaller than 5" offhand with the Mk IV Target and a red-dot.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:42 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Under 1" rested with Federal Bulk copper coated hollow points. That's the only ammo I shoot anymore. I just put a 1" steel plate on my 25 yard range. It takes a lot of concentration to hit that baby at 25 yards freehand but very possible. My 2" plate at 25 yards I can hit it pretty easily. Not every time but quite often.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:05 AM
FrankW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone using a rail on their Ruger MK-IV should take a look at the Tandomcross "Shadow Mount V2.0. This allows most Red Dots to be mounted a bit lower than using a rail and mount.

Frank

Shadow Mount for Mk-IV.