Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:37 PM
RAMS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sentinel R-103

Does the R-103 model seem to have more, less or about the same amount of problems as any of the other Sentinels? Guesses welcome.

This is NOT a knock on Sentinels. I have a chance to buy a nice R-103 at a good price so I'm just wondering.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:51 AM
tal35

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
All sentinals I think are very good guns! Not had much problems with any of them and have shot 10s of thousands of rounds through many.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:28 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard Revolvers

I have seen hundreds of the revolvers come thru the HS Repair Shop in the last 26 years. When they are worn OUT there is nothing that you can do as NEW Frames are NOT available !!! Most of the parts can be found. The aluminum frame gives up at some point and that is the end of the line. I am NOT sure how much shooting is required to use up a revolver. IT IS A LOT !!! I have a R-100 in the shop at this time.It appears to have been shot FOREVER !!! It needs a new hand.- Alan Aronstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 08:38 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had two R-107s, and the only issue on both was the crane. It's basically just a strip of cast metal, with a hole in each end, pretty simple. The holes wear, and the slot it sits in wears. You get some cylinder wobble, plus if you open the crane with the gun pointed uphill, the cylinder can slide off the crane onto the grass/floor/concrete. It bypasses the frame lug.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:38 PM
RAMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, guys; that's reassuring.
I owned only one Sentinel in my life (a beautiful 4" MK IV) and it was a great revolver in all respects except one: it had a FTF rate of about 20% of the time with two or three brands of good quality ammo--which of course happened to be the most accurate ammo in that particular revolver. (The accuracy, despite the very light rifling, was as good or better than most of the many, many S&W, Ruger and Colt DA revolvers I've owned).
In the forums there have been a couple of complaints about R-103s with FTF problems in double action mode.
So, I thought it prudent to ask before buying the R-103 available to me now. The owner says he personally never fired it.

Last edited by RAMS; 08-30-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:37 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't call my post about cranes reassuring, but my two were obviously well worn. Early in my shooting years and I didn't know to check that. They still shot fine, I just had to remember to hold the gun level or downhill when opening the cylinder. I think I paid about $125 for each of them.

Shows that you did a good thing to ask about them.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:09 PM
biblethumpncop
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to biblethumpncop
I had a R-107 that was used a lot by someone previously, and looked it but it functions fine. I also now have a R-101 that appears to have been shot used very little and is tight! The ejector was frozen shut with 50 year old gun oil that I had to use PB Blaster and a mallet to free. The old oil dried up and left a residue.

I wonder if a person planned on keeping the Sentinel forever, if it makes sense to have it hard chromed (Metalife by Mahovsky’s). It has a hardness factor of 71 which should prevent the aluminum frame from wearing out? I had my Colt Diamondback Metalifed years ago and it doesn’t show wear, even cylinder drag marks!

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Last edited by biblethumpncop; 08-30-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:36 PM
RAMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure a hard chrome job, except for finish, makes a gun less likely to "wear out". For example, a bent crane probably could still occur, even though it would be a darn good looking bent crane. And how about wear to internal parts?

Anyway, if you are in love with a particular gun (especially a blued gun) that you want to own forever, then heck yes, do it.

My problem is, I fall in love with particular guns I intend to keep forever and then sell/trade them for new loves five years later.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:57 AM
RAMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
I have seen hundreds of the revolvers come thru the HS Repair Shop in the last 26 years. When they are worn OUT there is nothing that you can do as NEW Frames are NOT available !!! Most of the parts can be found. The aluminum frame gives up at some point and that is the end of the line. I am NOT sure how much shooting is required to use up a revolver. IT IS A LOT !!! I have a R-100 in the shop at this time.It appears to have been shot FOREVER !!! It needs a new hand.- Alan Aronstein
Alan, are the aluminum-frame Sentinels (e.g., the R-103) strong enough to handle an occasional cylinder-full of Stingers, or is that not advisable?

Did I read somewhere that you are reopening a H. S. repair shop? If so, is there a website yet?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stringers

I have Never seen a cracked Sentinel Aluminum Frame. They must crack but, I have NOT seen one. I know that Sentinels and Western Revolvers are shot with HV from speaking with Customers over the last 26 years. I don't know if Stringers would cause anymore problems than HV as wear in the crane and FP area of the frame are the issues. I think that it is round count and maybe Stringers would need less rounds to cause the wear ??? John might have something to add to this. The HS Gunsmiths OFM Shop has been open for almost 3 years. - Alan Aronstein
Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 PM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a R-101 that has shot flawless even if the finish is less than perfect. I have a R-103 that has very nice finish but misfires due to light hammer strikes about 25% of the time in double action, but fires 100% in single action (and this is after a local gunsmith "fixed" the problem with a new mainspring). I still like the R-103 even with the DA misfires.
As range plinkers they're great. But for hunting small game I'll use my Ruger MKIII's with their much better sights, better triggers and more inherent accuracy.