Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:10 PM
Ol' Harry
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Black iron oxide stains

Does anyone have a secret formula to remove black iron oxide stains from a walnut stock?

Bought a Remington 511 at a gun show that I thought some country boy was using the stock to press down on barb wire fences to cross through or over. There were a lot of black marks on the forestock. My idea was to sand out the marks and refinish. Well as it turns out somebody was ďcounting coupĒ with this rifle by driving nails, pins, or tacks into the forearm of the stock. There are 21 holes on the right side of the forestock, 1/4 to 3/8-inch deep and 12 holes on the left side, with three of the holes approaching a half-inch. No way to sand out those holes without ruining the stock. Over the years the metal in the tacks rusted and left black iron oxide stains on the stock.

I noticed that three of the holes had small splits between the holes and it occurred to me that the tacks compressed the wood fibers when they were driven in and I might use the hot iron and wet towel to steam the compressed fibers back in place to minimize the appearance of damage, but the black iron oxide stains would still be there. I do not want to use chlorine bleach, as that would bleach out the color of the walnut in addition to perhaps removing the black stains. I had resolved to painting the stock, but decided I would try to rescue this stock. If in the end the holes bother me too much, I can always paint the stock sometime in the future. Like a wounded warrior, I would like to rehabilitate this stock and have it look good again.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:09 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suspect the black goes as deep as the bottom of the nail holes and good luck sucking it all out.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+ that.
If you were to split the stock at the nail holes you would likely find the stain all the way, Ive seen it in de-construction projects.
Have you considered an ebony stain? ie, something as dark as those nail stains, anything lighter is going to contrast to them and make them obvious.
Considering how bad it sounds you really have no downside to trying a bunch of things for our collective knowledge.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-27-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 10:15 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
How about a spanking new repro from Gunville? That stock is even on sale right now for $76.

http://www.gunville.com/shopping.html
Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I suspect the black goes as deep as the bottom of the nail holes and good luck sucking it all out.
I'm believe Al is right but you might be able to lighten the entry points enough to hide the scars. Oxalic acid comes immediately to mind.

https://www.hunker.com/13423333/how-...ains-from-wood

Frank
Old 08-27-2019, 09:18 PM
Ol' Harry
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LtCrunch (Frank) thanks for the tip of oxalic acid. I knew about using it to renew wood decks and such but never occurred to me to try to remove the iron oxide. I really donít care about the stains at the bottom of the hole. If I can steam the holes and get them to close up with the hot iron and wet towel, the stains on the surface are all I need to deal with. Hopefully the oxalic acid applied while the holes are open, before the steam treatment, will remove some of the shallow stains in the holes.

Ďol Shooter, I rejected the idea of a new stock very early on. I would rather paint the stock if nothing else works. There are a lot of very unique and interesting schemes that can be done with paint on a stock; itís just that it wonít be a classic 5-teen stock.

Gcrank1, I donít care for the idea of an ebony or dark stain. Iím partial to the color of a walnut stock. I had considered the idea of routing out the area of the holes and inlaying ebony wood, but to my mind a large area of ebony in the forestock, just would not look right. Just my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for giving consideration and a reply.

Harry