Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bluetooth Junkies?

With the older demographic of RFC members, I wonder how many use Bluetooth technology.

For a long time, my only Bluetooth ready device was my laptop computer. I finally got an alarm clock radio that I could stream internet radio to. That worked fine as long as I didn't touch the keyboard while streaming. Then I found a program called Process Lasso that prioritizes CPU cycles by task. I made Bluetooth processes the top priority, and now I can use the computer without having my music stop or glitch.

The next investment was light bulbs with built in Bluetooth speakers. They can crank the volume up higher without distortion. That's pretty nice.

I finally upgraded from a basic flip phone to a smart phone about 6 months ago. If you put the Spotify or Pandora app on, you can stream music easier than dragging the laptop from room to room.

Lastly, I picked up some BT wireless ear buds this week. I'm totally loving them. It's really nice to be able to listen to my favorite tunes while walking around Walmart or wherever else I need to go. I also don't disturb people around me who may have different tastes in music.

I know there's other Bluetooth devices and applications, but I haven't discovered their wonders (yet).

How many of you are hooked on this wonder of technology too?
Old 06-09-2021, 11:18 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've tried it with digital cameras for downloading images to my PC Test Engineer but I found it much quicker just to connect a USB cable. One place I do use it is for the hands free function between my old Galaxy Note 4 and my Ford Pickup. That is handy!

A bit of esoterica on the subject. I have a German friend who was on the standards committee (Bluetooth SIG) when they came up with the name in 1998. They chose Bluetooth from King Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson who brought the Viking tribes of Denmark and Norway together in 958. They thought it appropriate as the technology brings tribes of devices together

Frank
Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
With the older demographic of RFC members, I wonder how many use Bluetooth technology.

For a long time, my only Bluetooth ready device was my laptop computer. I finally got an alarm clock radio that I could stream internet radio to. That worked fine as long as I didn't touch the keyboard while streaming. Then I found a program called Process Lasso that prioritizes CPU cycles by task. I made Bluetooth processes the top priority, and now I can use the computer without having my music stop or glitch.

The next investment was light bulbs with built in Bluetooth speakers. They can crank the volume up higher without distortion. That's pretty nice.

I finally upgraded from a basic flip phone to a smart phone about 6 months ago. If you put the Spotify or Pandora app on, you can stream music easier than dragging the laptop from room to room.

Lastly, I picked up some BT wireless ear buds this week. I'm totally loving them. It's really nice to be able to listen to my favorite tunes while walking around Walmart or wherever else I need to go. I also don't disturb people around me who may have different tastes in music.

I know there's other Bluetooth devices and applications, but I haven't discovered their wonders (yet).

How many of you are hooked on this wonder of technology too?
How's this for the older demographic and Bluetooth technology - my hearing aids are Bluetooth! They're currently paired with my smartphone, my computer and my tablet. I can pair them with anything that is Bluetooth compatible. I have my eye on a Bluetooth grill thermometer that will let me use my smartphone indoors to keep an eye on the temperature progress while the grill outside is cooking my dinner. I have a Tribits Bluetooth speaker that I can connect to my phone to listen to music instead of using ear buds or the hearing aids and everyone can enjoy the music. Like you, I have discovered the world of Bluetooth and am becoming more and more "connected" in it. The light-bulb speakers are new to me, but I can imagine a never ending list of "smart" devices that I would have never thought of a couple of years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2021, 11:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
(Bluetooth SIG)
Frank
Make mine a 10mm.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:04 PM
NoNewTricks

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I use Bluetooth to tether my iPad to my phone when Im away from home and want to use the iPad for something I need internet access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
A bit of esoterica on the subject. I have a German friend who was on the standards committee (Bluetooth SIG) when they came up with the name in 1998. They chose Bluetooth from King Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson who brought the Viking tribes of Denmark and Norway together in 958. They thought it appropriate as the technology brings tribes of devices together

Frank
I had to check that one and this is one of the things wiki said about Bluetooth:

The Bluetooth logo is a bind rune merging the Younger Futhark runes Runic letter (ᚼ, Hagall) and Runic letter (ᛒ, Bjarkan), Harald's initials.

Thanks for that interesting info.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:05 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Make mine a nine Vee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig p210.jpg (220.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 12:46 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i know what it is but avoid wireless for the most part.

i do know eventually everything will be going that way and im buying/stocking up on wired keyboard and mice.

some of the people at work use the bluetooth speakers so they can have some tunes while they work.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:23 PM
TrblShtr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet6771 View Post
I have my eye on a Bluetooth grill thermometer that will let me use my smartphone indoors to keep an eye on the temperature progress while the grill outside is cooking my dinner.
My son has one of those and they are great. I think I'll only have to tell him how nice it is a couple more times and he'll get me one for Father's Day.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:57 PM
oldsquid

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
vet6771 said "How's this for the older demographic and Bluetooth technology - my hearing aids are Bluetooth!"

Yep, so are mine. I have the SiriusXM app on my iPhone and stream it to my hearing aids. I also have the Miracle Ear TV streamer hooked up to our TV so I don't have to turn the TV volume up too loud. I control the volume from the streamer with my Miracle Ear app on the iPhone.

Andy
Old 06-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only tooth I need so far~

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1623287115
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D19D1D89-EB14-4016-9352-78E244787516_1_201_a.jpg (535.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 08:43 PM
vet6771

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrblShtr View Post
My son has one of those and they are great. I think I'll only have to tell him how nice it is a couple more times and he'll get me one for Father's Day.
I wonder if I still have enough time to tell my daughters how great one would be before Father's Day.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:57 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have been using Bluetooth technology in the home office for several years with the mouse & keyboard attachments to the computers . . . so I leave the Bluetooth feature in the "active" status on the desk computer and laptop. On smartphones, I tend to keep the Bluetooth function in the "off" status turning it on only when needed as it is a great tracking technology. Actually, I tend to do the same with Wireless networking on smartphones for similar reasons and both technologies put a drain on the device's battery.

I do have a set of Bluetooth earphones but rarely use them as I rarely talk on my cell phone nor do I listen to music on my phone. ( I still use AM/FM radio for that) I worked in the Data Processing / Information Technology industry for 45+ years and carried a beeper & flip phone for many years switching to a Blackberry for the last 5 of my working years. I just wanted a break from technology controlling my life 24x7.

Don't get me wrong . . . I use technology in many areas of my retired life. I just prefer to limit others' interjecting their desires and tracking what I do and where I go. My Mantis X (Dry Fire Practice System) uses blue tooth to track my scores as I practice in my basement as one of several examples.

Yes, I know they track my cell phone via the sim card . . .
Old 06-09-2021, 09:05 PM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't take the Blue pill.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a buddy that doesn't know the difference between Facebook and email. Doesn't know what a browser is. He has Bluetooth hearing aids. Doesn't count if you have the tech forced on you.

Car GPS pairs with the phone for traffic and updates. Motorcycle GPS is "paired" with both my phone and helmet headset. Hands free calling + hearing GPS at highway speeds.

Speaker paired with the bedroom ipad for music.

Also many smart devices, but that's WiFi, not Bluetooth.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:43 PM
LRB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My old CD player in my even older '69 truck went bad so I replaced it with a new stereo that doesn't even have a CD player, and replaced my flip top phone with a smartphone while I was at it.

Didn't even know what Bluetooth was, but a computer savvy friend helped me figure it out and now I'm having more fun downloading and listening to my favorite songs via Amazon music and Bluetooth!

This stuff is fantastic!