Tesla Autopilot. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 AM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If man can build it, it WILL break, and most likely when you're trying to use it.

I figured that out during my career in industrial maintenance. Hence, I have no rush to get on any carnival ride.

Roger
Old 06-04-2021, 12:10 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Allowing these vehicles on the road should be put up for national vote. These vehicles on the road will make the Covid look like child’s play.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:18 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954 View Post
Allowing these vehicles on the road should be put up for national vote. These vehicles on the road will make the Covid look like child’s play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
No way no thank you and IMO AI will NOT work unless the entire transportation system is AI. This peace meal approach is totally stupid! There must be people in approval system having no business/knowledge what so ever are being involved. My/your life is worth more than being an active part of crash test summy system program.

It's bad enough that we have impaired drivers and others that are just poor drivers...............!
Old 06-04-2021, 01:47 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's a reason autopilot works so well in airplanes, far fewer things to run into up there. Make no mistake, IT WAS THE DRIVER'S FAULT THE MISHAP OCCURRED. He was driving while distracted, the same as if he'd been texting someone.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:36 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And then you have this idiot local to my area:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...iving/2544875/

The DMV needs to pull his license. If I recall correctly driving was a privilege not a right.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:46 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When an AI autopilot can do as well as I can at 3 am in a Michigan snow storm, I'll start thinking they have it perfected. For now, I'd be fine if the technology issued me a warning that it thinks it detected something that I have not so I can deal with it if needed.

I've rented a car with adaptive cruise, I liked that. It was also able to alert me that the car in front of me was losing speed and my closure rate was too high. I liked that.

Our major roads have shoulder and center line cuts that will rumble your tires if one deviates from one's lane. Pretty low tech, it has been helpful. I could be good with some optical lane keeping tech that does a steering wheel shake and isn't too nervous.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:34 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
welcome pad wan....

just something to keep in mind that when it comes to automation, just be careful....every hear of GOGO? Garbage IN = Garbage OUT? not really the same, but there are some people that will ASSUME the name implies it will do what you think it will do.

I for one thinks that the name should be changed until it can be a true AP. but im sure that name has been trademarked by Tesla.

but what it comes down to is ask questions. I got a 2017 Subi with "eyesight". I was going to buy a Subi w/o the eyesight, but the sales/tech guy was so cool on it, i decided to wait 1 year and do some research and test driving.

Well, on the subi what it comes down to is that it can more easily "see" moving vehicles. But if a car is stopped in front of you, it takes a few more mili? seconds to recognize it and so it will wait and also break much harder.

Then when i asked how "high or small" will the camera see anything in front of you, it was about a "waist" high gesture for the shortest object OR PERSON. What OR HOW do you think is shorter than waist high??????

My car also has "lane departure assist".... but you will feel like you are in a toboggan trough since it will move you from side to side, looking for the lane dividers.

Then, have a foggy window? no workie....Sun light /glare in the camera ??? no workie....too much rain on the windshield....no workie.....

note this is for what i have and the features and how they work for this vehicle. Im sure Tesla has a different system for hands off driving.

Dont get me wrong, i would have never thought i would be driving a car with the features if you would have told me years ago. But i feel there is still ALONG WAY TO GO before any company or anyone can call it a real "driverless car".

fwiw, my fiend that got one before me did some real world testing on his street. But he put up cardboard box and covered them with some sheet. But his results were mixed. sometimes the car/vision would see and sometimes not.

but yeah, that driver was not too bright. but i guess that what they say about Money and brains...
Old 06-04-2021, 06:33 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
I would have filed a complaint with Uber!
I'm not much of an "I demand to speak to your manager" type of guy.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:50 PM
rgee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tesla dumped its Radar based Autopilot this week-

Tesla has decided to replace its radar sensors with a camera-based version of its Autopilot system for Model 3’s and Model Y’s in the North American market.

“Pure vision Autopilot is now rolling out in North America,” co-founder and CEO Elon Musk tweeted.

They will also be installing cameras to monitor the driver - very similar to Ford's F150 Copilot 360 system.

RGee
Old 06-04-2021, 07:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
When I first heard about this auto-pilot stuff for cars my very first thought was (and still is),"ah, gee, what could go wrong?".
Old 06-04-2021, 10:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
When I first heard about this auto-pilot stuff for cars my very first thought was (and still is),"ah, gee, what could go wrong?".
Murphys law..........!
Old 06-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give em to kids in their late teens to test, they can break anything!
Old 06-05-2021, 12:05 AM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The huge problem is that it is not autopilot, that's what they call it, and I'm very surprised they haven't been sued or forced to change it. It even states in the manual that it is a drivers assist not self driving. Ford, Chevrolet, and others have attention monitors that give verbal warning to pay attention. Cadillac vibrates the steering wheel, some will pull to the side of the road.

The driver was at fault and should be fired, tesla needs to change the name and put out a psa or be fined into compliance
Old 06-05-2021, 12:33 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Musk knows that it's a bigger problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3EQqjn-ELs&t=216s
Old 06-05-2021, 12:56 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
I'm not much of an "I demand to speak to your manager" type of guy.
Me neither, but when it comes to my personal safety, I'll make an exception.

That was simply reckless, imo.