Thoughts and feedback on my first custom 10/22 build - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:47 AM
Tscholten
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback. Last night, I pulled the trigger and placed my order with KIDD:
Supergrade premium custom build
Black receiver
Matte black bolt
Two stage trigger with red curved trigger
Long/speed mag release lever
20 inch black bead blasted steel bull barrel threaded and capped.
Magpul Hunter X-22
Picatinny rail installed
Rear tang attachment
Muzzle brake

I did not opt for KIDD to install a bipod; are these easy enough to install on my own, or do they require drilling?

Reference Badabing11 and Nick7274: did you have the rear tang installed by KIDD and were they able to fit the stock to the complete build? From Badabing11 comments, I assume that you had someone else do your stock work to accommodate the rear tang. Either way, I will call KIDD and check if they can do everything there before shipping it.

This is the first new rifle that I have purchased in decades. I never thought that anything could take the place of my beloved Winchester 52C that I used as a teenager shooting in the old DCM markmanship program in the 1980s. I still have that rifle, but I can see my newly ordered KIDD keeping it company and the range.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:56 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
If you purchased the full Supergrade rifle build from Kidd with the Magpul stock it will come already inletted for the rear tang, modified for the Supergrade barrels, and the action will be bedded. It will come fully assembled. To answer your question though the rear tang is very easy to remove/install on your own.

The only time I had it already installed was when I bought my 2 Supergrades. My other Kidd rifles that use rear tangs I installed myself. I never had to have a stock modified for them because other 2 are in stocks that accept the rear tang (Titan & Tony Melee Nighthawk).

Last edited by Nick7274; 05-11-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:44 PM
Tscholten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nick 7274
You are totally correct sir; the full Supergrade does in fact come "built" with the rear tang installed and mated to the Magpul stock. In fact, what you wrote is almost verbatim the response that I received from KIDD customer service. They also refunded me the amount for the accessory rear tang that I selected. So all is well. I realize that I could have tried this myself, but I wanted to avoid the hassle of shopping around for a stock and then locating someone in my area who could fit the stock to the receiver/barrel. You have been a very informative source as has everyone that has posted here. Thanks again!!
Old 05-11-2021, 08:02 PM
Gobblerk5
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm telling you in advance, you will love how that Magpul stock feels...and with the rest of this build you will be punching single holes in paper...and not with just one trigger pull

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2021, 08:33 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Best bang for the buck is to buy the 10/22 of your choice... along with your favorite aftermarket barrel of your choice... and send them both to CPC.

This will give you 95% of the accuracy of a $2,500 gun at a fraction of the price. Plus, it will be a 'sleeper' in comparison.

With the .22lr, it's all a game of ammo, anyway. This is the most ammo limited caliber on the planet. Once a gun gets to a certain level, it's all about the ammo. The guy with the best ammo is going to win. Sure, there are TINY improvements to be had with the gun, but once you have a gun that is 'good enough' you're pretty much there.

There's really no sense in spending $2k+ on a .22lr unless you are trying to win a serious bench rest competition and have the budget to chase ammo lots.

The above is basic facts and logic. However, we tend to go overboard on out passions, and I'm not judging. Lol
Old 05-26-2021, 08:59 PM
Tscholten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alright friends, here it is! I recently received my new KIDD rifle. I listed the specs in my earlier post. I mounted a Clearidge Ultra XP 6-20x40 scope per the opinions listed in another forum on RFC. I have not yet shot the gun, but I can say that I am very impressed with the quality of both rifle and scope. The scope does have audible and tactile clicks, parallax adjustment, and very clear lenses. I am very happy with both purchases. My next add-on is a bi-pod which will arrive by the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210526_200128.jpg (478.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 09:52 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That ought to get er done ! I think you’ll be quite happy with that .

Can you tell me if I’m tact the Clearidge is made in Japan ? I have almost bought that scope several times now and suspect I should have bought this instead of Athlon’s.

Also, I can’t remember, did you get the rear tang option ?

And last bit of experience to share from my Kidd rifles . Mine barrels start shooting their best at about 300 rounds . It took me a while to believe it, but I think you’ll find by keeping the chamber clean and maybe one pass of a patch when done shooting , the gun will amaze you . I used to do a deep clean after every session and Tony Kidd himself told me to not be too concerned with cleaning the bore, but keep that chamber clean. There is a chamber brush cleaning tool someone on here sells that is perfect for that, although I find a slightly oversized brush works best. I use a 25 cal brush . Just Google chamber cleaning tool and it should come up .

I think you are in for a real treat . These rifles are truly a joy . Welcome to the light of the rfc addiction. Please post your impressions after you shoot .

Edit . I read back and see you got the rear tang Bull barrel and two stage trigger . Some guys do well with a bi pod , but that rifle will shoot bug holes and I think a good front rest and rear bag will get the full capability, and you won’t believe it. Mine is routinely shooting 0.2”
To 0.35” . Yeah I get an occasional 0.5” , but it’s usually me when that happens . I’m very excited for you. I think you did this really right!

Last edited by BadaBing11; 05-26-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:34 AM
Tscholten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BadaBing11,

You are correct, I did order the rear tang. A customer service rep emailed that all super-grades come with this feature so it was unnecessary to select it as I did.

Yes, the Clearidge is made in Japan. It indicates this on the website, but I also looked on the box and it is there as well. This was quite a dilemma for me since there are many scopes for the same or lower prices with more accolades, but are made in China. I believe a RFC member, maybe even on this forum, made a comment about "buying Chi Com" product. That made me reevaluate where I was spending my money. Nevertheless, the Clearidge really seems to be a quality scope from my initial impressions and turning the turrets, fast focus and parallax adjustment.

I will definitely post results when I have them, hopefully this weekend!!
Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (271)
I have a few of the Clearidge scopes and they are very good, AND made in Japan!

Congratulations, Tscholten, on your KIDD purchase. You did it wisely -- getting all the info you can from knowledgeable people here and then going for the best. What's that old saw -- buy once, cry once? I currently have five KIDD builds (and have had quite a few more over the years), all the traditional slip-fit. If there's anything better out there for this type of rifle, I have yet to hear about it. I'm sure you will be very pleased.

Doug