Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Shooting Bench

96K views 121 replies 77 participants last post by  RichJ 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally figured out how to convert all this into a .jpeg so you guys could download and print. This is based on a bench from the net that I made. I added my own detailed instructions. The bench is portable and very heavy (good for steadyness). The leg couplers are welded to the flat bar plates. The birch on mine was stained blue with rit dye and sealed with poly. I hope that if any of you make one you could post some pictures of it? Thanks

Here's a pic of mine...

See less See more
#95 ·
Anyone have plans for a rotating shooting bench to use in the ground squirrel/prairie poodle fields? I guess I could design something, but if somebody has already gone through this I don't have to redesign the wheel.... I usually do better modifying an existing design to suit my needs.... ;)

Bob

#96 ·
I have a towable bench made with a discarded DR grass catcher chasis and Truck box. When you place a bench in the back of a truck with springs and stock suspension you are going to get a lot of rocking from the wind and your own movement on the springs. The only suspension on my towable bench is the rubber tires and they are pretty stiff even with no pressure in them. There are some portable trailer based shooting platforms that cost thousands because they are using a much bigger trailer for the base. If you can find a small utility trailer locally from a DR grass catcher, defunct welder, wood splitter etc you may be able to build something very useful as a portable shooting platform. If you can store it at the property for off road use only you won't have to worry about lights or registration.

#99 ·
The best I could manage...

...since I don't do concrete well at all & my back won't allow me to work with heavy bags of cement anymore.
The next best choice has to be heavy wood construction.

First things first...the design...I went to the floor of the shop with chalk and some straight edges & squares.
I would have to buy a sheet of 3/4" plywood so I wanted as many layers of that sheet as I could manage in a thick top.

Yah...I'ma lefty shooter.
Next to design a framework, simple & strong...I had many 4x4's in the woodpile so I used them...

I figured I'd use them 'mortice & tennon'd', glued and dowell pinned together.
First, cut to length and make the joints...

Next to use that single sheet of plywood for the top...cut in 3 equal size pieces I laminated it together.

Cut it out the next day

and fit it to frame then sanded, stained & painted it and mounted it together.

I welded a c-clamp so I could use it for an umbrella mount, heated a piece of PVC for a holder & put them together with a thumb screw...

I forgot to mention that I live on a ridge and don't have a level spot on the property...I had to make legs that would level the bench.

Welded some 3" square pads to the bottom of the legs for a good footing...

That's the way she stands today, done a lot of shooting off her now and I think the change I'll make this spring will be to hire a poured concrete pad for it so sit on. Those legs have a little wiggle in them from side to side. It ain't much but 'any' is too much, I have a giant rock pulling the slack from the adjustable legs so I can lean on it an not change the scope on target.

I cut a bar stool at the right height and laid down a scrap piece of plywood for the stool legs.
It ain't perfect but it sure beats the way I started out a year and a half ago when I got into this BR shooting...
yes...that's a picnic table where I'm sighting in my first BR rifle of sorts...a MKII...

#101 ·
Lots of great benches made here.

I needed something portable that I hope will be better then shooting off the hood of my truck. Made out of free scrap construction wood, Legs are separate and just slip in. Probably will need some modification as have not tried it yet, too friggin cold today but i think it will do just fine.

Attachments

#102 ·
Nice job there:bthumb:, If I may be so rude I would suggest:-

A few more screws spaced out in the centre of the plants, dampness can make the planks bulge, at least two more in the narrower planks and maybe three in the wider one.

A cross plank underneath the front section with screws upwards will help against warping.

Finally for safety, round off all the edges (lesson learnt), less painful in the ribs should you bang into it and a couple of coats of safe preservative/stain will ensure it will last.

Enjoy.

Giz:)

#103 ·
Yeah no problem with the suggestions, they are welcome. I just built it as I went and yes am planning on beefing it up some more, just been cold out there past couple days and just wanted to get it together.

Was also thinking about rounding the edges once I get my router back here and need to wait for warmer weather before preservatives get put on, wood is damp right now. I am trying to come up with an idea to make it a bit more steadier as the rear leg is the weakest link in the whole setup.

Not the prettiest but it is meant to be haul around and easy to set up.

#109 ·
My neighbor built a bench for me a little over 20 years ago,,
5 years ago, I replaced the "hitching post"
this year, I raised the area directly under the bench about a foot, using large rip-rap,, than covered that with sand.

The sand was covered with landscape fabric, then pea gravel was added to hold the fabric.\
The bench is aimed at my apple trees,, for "visitors"

Plant Natural landscape Outdoor furniture Shrub Grass

Plant Outdoor furniture Tree Wood Table

#110 ·
I don't shoot benchrest, but kill a lot of prairie dogs from portable benches. Years ago I copied a Stukey bench and recently got a BR Pivot. I modified both to suit me. I cut the 'tail' down 7" on the BR and added shelves under both. Gives a good place to store rests, ammo, rangefinder and such, outta the sun....

the Stukey clone.

The BR Pivot.