Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CCI vs HORNADY vs AGUILA

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  roddy 
#1 ·
I got in the country last Friday to get some sweet corn, and of course I took a few firearms along. Getting the corn took about 10 minutes, the rest of the morning was play time!

I took about a box of each of the 3 mentioned to see how they compared and which might be better. The CCI and Hornady were both 30 grain and looked to be the same bullet, just different colored polymer tips. The Aguila was 40 grain HPs.

I have a Mueller APV 6x18 by 44 mm AO on my Zastava MP22WMR.
I had previously zeroed my Zastava with CCI 30 gr. varmint rounds. The Hornady was the 30 grain V-Max. The CCI had a grey tip, the Hornady red. Otherwise they look like the same round. Velocity was the same. The Aguila was the 40 gr. lHP. The wind was minimal, temp about 80. The targets were set up 53 yd.s down range per my range finder.

I shot about 20 rounds of the CCI and the Hornady. The groups were very similar and both a bit over a half inch - .6 to .7 in.s Not good, but not terrible. I had a lousy rest shooting off sticks sitting in a canvas chair so that did not help my groups either. Both brands were shooting to the same point of aim, just slightly left of the vertical line and a half inch high.

The Agila was off 1/2 in. left and an inch high, which surprised me being heavier and a little slower. And in spite of my less than good shooting platform, I was getting some 1/2 in. and under groups. The Aguila was great! I moved my zero over to the CL and left it at 3/4 in. high. One group had 4 rounds in a clover leaf, and I had muffed one out, which I knew.

I am going to pick up some more Aguila .22WMR and go back out to the farm. There are some crows and pigeons that need my attention. I have had very good groups with my Rem Mdl Five/CZ99 using .22 SEHV & the WMR seems to be following suit.

VH :eek:man:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am glad the Aguila proved good in 22 magnum. I cringe when people talk about shooting birds with rimfires. They just carry too far for it to be safe to shoot up into trees or power lines. But maybe your area is more hilly or sparsely crowded than my area. Once the bullet is launched, you are responsible for any unintended things you hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.