Any LAN Geeks Here? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:46 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any LAN Geeks Here?

I have my own home LAN, that is connected my workshop/Toybox with my house. I have two LAN Network drives connected (Synology) that serve me well, and my house and workshop/Toybox are connected through a Ubiquiti 900Mhz bridge. All is well!

I would like to connect a few cameras to the "system" so that I can monitor our barn and my workshop/Toybox at will, but don't want it to go out to the internet (no smart-phone). I'm limited in my internet usage (all wireless).

I don't need constant coverage, but would like to call up camera footage at will from my home when I see questionable activity. Would also like to periodically check on our horses' stalls and dry-lot at night.

But primarily, I don't want this broadcast to the internet as I don't have a smart-phone (no need) and have limited internet usage - my only internet link.

I suspect installation of the camera can be limited to various "ports". Just looking for some way for me to periodically check on my Toybox/shop and our ponies from my home computer at 2AM, when I'm usually up. I'm thinking that we have four-legged "visitors" at night, predominantly of the feline variety.

Any knowledgeable folks' input is most appreciated. Want to view cameras from home without them posting to the internet - which kills my monthly limit.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Game cameras will take pics for you to look at later.
OR
You can set up a camera network with a Raspberry Pi. Google it.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:38 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Assuming you can get power and want to be geeky enough I'd get a Raspberry Pi or two and some USB wireless adapters and some USB cameras and set it up. I've done similar using old desktop machines (before Pis existed), made some cool stop motion movies, set up scientific observation for some endangered rats, and got some thieves caught.

I'd start wtih Raspbian for an OS and look into the program motion (it is in the repos)

Depending on how geeky you really are you could easily write code that motion can trigger and have it perform actions - email a file, record video, play a sound on the Pi (you'd need to add audio out, etc).

Last edited by ivan; 12-11-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 06:00 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You've probably already thought of it, but how about an IP camera with a built-in SD card storage. I have one inside my front gate pointed towards the street. I remote in from work several times a day. It's set up for motion detection and the nighttime IR is pretty good. Used it to find out who is taking an interest in my house.

The port forwarding thing is a little confusing at first but there are lots of videos and write ups to be found.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd look into Blue Iris for recording and alerting.

https://ipcamtalk.com/ is a website worth looking at.

Start with the following link.

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/ip-cam-talk-cliff-notes/

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:16 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
i use a couple of wyze cameras (avaiable on amazopn). great cameras for a cheap price. they connect to your lan via wifi.

if you dont want to use your phone to moniter them, download bluestack (free android emulator) and then install the wyze app.

your pc will act like a phone and run the app (plus any other apps you want to run)
Old 12-15-2019, 07:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This might work. The echo dot will work with the WYZE camera and allow you to view it on a TV with a Amazon Firestick. I am about to test this theory. If my thinking is correct this will all stay in the home network.

Edit: I just tried it and I am able to view my a Amazon WYSE V.2 camera from my TV with an Amazon Firestick. As long as your TV has a HDMI port the Firestick will work. All my devices talk via my WiFi but don't need to go through the internet to do so. The WYSE cam was about 25 bucks. We have two older 8ch security systems at home but connecting them to the internet requires a static IP. Too much trouble so we got the WYSE cam to check on the place while away. Using the app we get motion and sound alarms if something happens. That requires a smartphone.

Another Echo device has a video screen and would eliminate the need for the TV.

Last edited by 56S; 12-15-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: it does work
Old 12-15-2019, 11:37 AM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yep...I use echo skills to view my wyze (and August doorbell cam) on an echo show 2.

Even has a trigger for when someone rings the doorbell. The wyze app just removed the person detection but as door ad it comes back it should trigger the display of the cameras too.

Many will struggle with the security/privacy of adding an echo to their network though