Which knife did you buy this month? - Page 147 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:26 PM
thegoldrush

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Glock field knife. Not fancy, but inexpensive & tough. Also balanced for throwing & can be a bayonet. I have a 79 and an 81. In black, of course.

Currently checking knife blade types designs. I guess I'd rather get something that feels like art and not just a tool, if that makes sense?

Last edited by thegoldrush; 10-09-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:29 PM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Randall Model 18 (Survival Knife) in 7.5" blade length. Knurled handle, compass in cap, waxed sheath.

Not stainless, although that's a popular option with this model.

I put the order in back in November of 2016, paid balance on 2016 price earlier this year (about $95 cheaper than today's price).
Old 10-21-2021, 09:00 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I broke down and bought a folder I've been lusting after for a while. A Scandi, but folding - the Helle Kletten. Blade is around 2", which is what I prefer for daily use (pencil sharpening, box opening, etc.)

The search is on for the perfect pouch now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211021_204725_resize.jpg (278.1 KB, 2 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 PM
870TC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A vintage Cutco 1769 hunting knife with the Double-D edge
Old 10-21-2021, 09:13 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwindsor View Post
Randall Model 18 (Survival Knife) in 7.5" blade length. Knurled handle, compass in cap, waxed sheath.

Not stainless, although that's a popular option with this model.

I put the order in back in November of 2016, paid balance on 2016 price earlier this year (about $95 cheaper than today's price).
Those are neat. A buddy of mine collects Randall. He Picked up a careworn example, and had me clean it up before he gave it to his son. Theyíre such solid tools.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:29 PM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Those are neat. A buddy of mine collects Randall. He Picked up a careworn example, and had me clean it up before he gave it to his son. Theyíre such solid tools.
Yeah, I'm a huge fan. I'm building up a nice collection as the "foldin' money" allows.

Twice a year I go up to Tulsa to help with a table full of Randalls at the Wanenmacher show.

My EDC is a 4" model 5 with (default) stag handle. I bought it from a friend that received it as a gift from another mutual friend.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:06 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yeah, I'm a huge fan. I'm building up a nice collection as the "foldin' money" allows.

Twice a year I go up to Tulsa to help with a table full of Randalls at the Wanenmacher show.

My EDC is a 4" model 5 with (default) stag handle. I bought it from a friend that received it as a gift from another mutual friend.
Cool!

What are your thoughts on EDCíing a fixed-blade knife? Iíve never done it before. Iím completely suburban these days as well, so I donít know if I could pull it off on a personal level.

Iíve been thinking more and more about getting into forging, just for fun, so Iíd have an excuse to carry a beautiful fixed-blade knife. My high school had a foundry, forge, welding, and machine shops. I think we all forged a few knives/swords at some point and it was super fun.

We also started a holster company not long ago, and I think some handmade knives would jive well with our business model.

My EDC for the last decade has been a Kershaw Leek. Super boring, I know, but they just work.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:56 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I broke down and bought a folder I've been lusting after for a while. A Scandi, but folding - the Helle Kletten. Blade is around 2", which is what I prefer for daily use (pencil sharpening, box opening, etc.)

The search is on for the perfect pouch now.
Had a similar conundrum with a Spyderco C44 Dyad knife. A bit too big for pocket carry by itself. By happy coincidence, a horizontal cell belt phone case was close by. I checked - nearly a perfect fit. That never happens to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spyderco C44 Dyad case side.jpg (504.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Spyderco C44 Dyad case top.jpg (488.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 02:53 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Kershaw Ken Onion Leek:

I guess I'm not that original, since they say it's "the most popular knife in the world."
Old 10-22-2021, 03:05 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
Kershaw Ken Onion Leek....I guess I'm not that original, since they say it's "the most popular knife in the world."
Brothers united in mediocrity! I guess, congratulations to us for having mass-market taste? Lol.

Pretty hard to beat for ~ $60.

There used to be, maybe still is, an eBay seller called KershawGuy, who sold factory blems, marked on the blade with Xís, for about half price. Most of the guys in my shop were carrying those blem Leeks and Chives.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:46 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Brothers united in mediocrity! I guess, congratulations to us for having mass-market taste? Lol.

Pretty hard to beat for ~ $60.

There used to be, maybe still is, an eBay seller called KershawGuy, who sold factory blems, marked on the blade with Xís, for about half price. Most of the guys in my shop were carrying those blem Leeks and Chives.
Kershaw Guy is still selling knives.

https://kershawguy.com/
Old 10-22-2021, 11:00 PM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Cool!

What are your thoughts on EDCíing a fixed-blade knife? Iíve never done it before. Iím completely suburban these days as well, so I donít know if I could pull it off on a personal level.

Iíve been thinking more and more about getting into forging, just for fun, so Iíd have an excuse to carry a beautiful fixed-blade knife. My high school had a foundry, forge, welding, and machine shops. I think we all forged a few knives/swords at some point and it was super fun.

We also started a holster company not long ago, and I think some handmade knives would jive well with our business model.

My EDC for the last decade has been a Kershaw Leek. Super boring, I know, but they just work.
I like EDC'ng a fixed blade, but I carry it on the left side. I have a Benchmade Axis-lock folder clipped in the right front pocket.

That gives me the freedom to abuse the BM a little bit and keep the RMK for "I seriously need a sharp knife right now."

I live on one acre in a little 30-lot community out in the weeds, so there are times where it's handy.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:33 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I like EDC'ng a fixed blade, but I carry it on the left side. I have a Benchmade Axis-lock folder clipped in the right front pocket.

That gives me the freedom to abuse the BM a little bit and keep the RMK for "I seriously need a sharp knife right now."

I live on one acre in a little 30-lot community out in the weeds, so there are times where it's handy.
I've been carrying a fixed blade (but usually shorter than 2.5") for about 15 years now. I'm a leftie, so it's always left-side, and always a small folder in the right-hand rear pocket. It served my needs fine for that time.

However, now I'm trying out a folder as the main cutlery. Will see how that plays out...

Old 10-23-2021, 03:32 PM
jm17

TPC Rating: 
93% (13)
Just picked up a Grohmann trout and bird
with rosewood scales.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:23 PM
theLBC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
Kershaw Ken Onion Leek:

I guess I'm not that original, since they say it's "the most popular knife in the world."
i have a very similar kershaw for when something small is better, and typically carry larger benchmade axis lock knives.