Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:21 PM
Davcruz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Input on Sightmark scopes - higher end versions

I found a new in box Citadel 5-30x56 scope locally, it is priced very far below MSRP. I have never seen a Sightmark or heard much about them but it's a close to $600 MSRP optic and it is made in China.

https://sightmark.com/products/citad...lr2-riflescope

Anyone have any experience with Sightmark? The guy is about an hour away and I don't want to waste his time or mine just looking. I am wondering about the optical quality, the tracking and most important the sight box (is it picky or forgiving).

Any input is appreciated. I know that Athlon are mainly made in China and they seem to have a good following these days.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:32 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my advice, just don't do it I have been there done that. I don't buy Chinese optics anymore. stick with Japanese or European scopes if you want a good scope. Chinese stuff has come a long way over the last few years but I still won't do it anymore. personally, I have been buying a lot of Meopta scopes over the last few years and one Steiner but have many old Japanese Bushnell's and they are still better than most from china. I just got a 4.5-27x50 Meopta optika6 that was a demo unit off eBay for 600 bucks and the glass is amazing along with tracking and built in the Czech Republic and all parts are made in-house but glass is sourced from Schott in Germany but ground, polished, and coated by meopta. Search this site for posts on meopta and you will find all my posts about meopta with some pics along with others' thoughts on them. also, another brand I really like is Burris, I have several of their older made in the USA scopes but I also have a few of the philippine built ones too and they are pretty darn good too.

oh, should have mentioned check out Cameraland NY a site sponsor here. great people to deal with and may have something in stock or a demo you never know.

Last edited by lone gunman; 10-22-2021 at 11:54 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 10-22-2021, 11:56 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím with Lone Gunman.

Amazon has them for $425. Free shipping and free returns.

Pride of ownership is a real thing, and the regret usually sneaks up on me slowly, by degrees, when Iíve bought a Chinese product. Iíve always taken a hosing when attempting to sell or trade Chinese products. Leupold, Steiner, and Zeiss all have models not too far off of what youíre looking at. EuroOptic sometimes has nice sales on Zeiss.

But itís your money, and you probably have a unique application in mind, so take it with a grain of salt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2021, 10:12 AM
Davcruz

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I appreciate the input from both of you, even though not directly regarding the brand but I get what you are both saying and yes, I too have bought China optics and regretted it and lost tons reselling later, many I just gave away.

I am sure I will feel the same about buying a Sightmark so you have helped me make up my mind. Thanks.

PS. I have no China optics currently other than a Burris AR332 on a basic M4 platform SHTF gun, so I should probably keep it that way. (I did not know the Burris was China until after I bought it BTW, but it seems nice.)
Old 10-23-2021, 10:56 AM
theLBC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sightmark makes a wide variety of products and most are decent.
there are very few scopes in this price range that aren't going to be made in china regardless of the brand name, although you can find some made in the phillipines.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...eview.6892626/
Old 10-23-2021, 01:46 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only have two Chinese-made optics left in my lineup. one is a vortex 1x spitfire prism optic on an 8''22lr AR pistol and the other is a millet DMR1 1-4 scope on another 16'' 22lr AR rifle. they serve their purpose on those plinkers but I would not put them on something for defense purposes, well maybe the prism site I might.

if you want to know where something is made use the sticky I had put towards the top of this section.

https://sageratsafaris.com/the-optics-database/

other scopes I have owned are Mueller 4-16, 8-32 and while they served the purpose at the time they just don't compare to a quality scope. same with a BSA sweet 22 I owned they are all gone now. and I had one sightmark reflex optic with a green multi reticle option and it wasn't bad either but it was also replaced.

lookup cyclops and C_does on youtube for scope videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/AirgunClassicsJoeWRhea/videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/CDOES/videos
Old 10-28-2021, 09:35 AM
Davcruz

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone gunman View Post
my advice, just don't do it I have been there done that. I don't buy Chinese optics anymore. stick with Japanese or European scopes if you want a good scope. Chinese stuff has come a long way over the last few years but I still won't do it anymore. personally, I have been buying a lot of Meopta scopes over the last few years and one Steiner but have many old Japanese Bushnell's and they are still better than most from china. I just got a 4.5-27x50 Meopta optika6 that was a demo unit off eBay for 600 bucks and the glass is amazing along with tracking and built in the Czech Republic and all parts are made in-house but glass is sourced from Schott in Germany but ground, polished, and coated by meopta. Search this site for posts on meopta and you will find all my posts about meopta with some pics along with others' thoughts on them. also, another brand I really like is Burris, I have several of their older made in the USA scopes but I also have a few of the philippine built ones too and they are pretty darn good too.

oh, should have mentioned check out Cameraland NY a site sponsor here. great people to deal with and may have something in stock or a demo you never know.
I tried to take your advice Lone Gunman, I was about to buy a Meopta Optika5 4-20x50 ZPlus reticle, but subtensions are very important to me, because I am shooting at 50 and 100 yds and do not want to cover a .5 MOA target completely.

The problem with Meopta; their website is terrible, I mean really bad. I could not find reticle subtension information anywhere on the WWW. I looked for about 15 mins yesterday.

I ended up with a Burris Fullfield IV 6-24x50. Cameraland NY open box, great deal. Will let you know what I think of it when it arrives. Plan is to put it on a new Bergara B14R that I hope to pickup this weekend. My LGS finally has on in stock!

Last edited by Davcruz; 10-28-2021 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-28-2021, 10:17 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davcruz View Post
I tried to take your advice Lone Gunman, I was about to buy a Meopta Optika5 4-20x50 ZPlus reticle, but subtensions are very important to me, because I am shooting at 50 and 100 yds and do not want to cover a .5 MOA target completely.

The problem with Meopta; their website is terrible, I mean really bad. I could not find reticle subtension information anywhere on the WWW. I looked for about 15 mins yesterday.

I ended up with a Burris Fullfield IV 6-24x50. Cameraland NY open box, great deal. Will let you know what I think of it when it arrives. Plan is to put it on a new Bergara B14R that I hope to pickup this weekend. My LGS finally has on in stock!
just for future reference, here is their reticle page with subtension:

https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/en/reticles/

but hey I tried lol, I think the Burris will serve you well. I love the 4 or 5 Burris scopes I own but the meopta's have better glass. and yes I will agree their website does suck but I think part of it is because they are a Czech republic based company and translation is not their strong suit. even their owner manuals can be hard to follow especially the older ones I have.

and yes please follow up with what you think of your new Burris scope. and just in case you don't know Burris and Steiner are both owned by Bereta. oh and I do own a Steiner military scope made in Germany too and my higher-end Meopta's have better glass than it does too but the glass is on par with my optika6 scopes. I hope you enjoy the new glass, take care!
Old 10-29-2021, 07:31 AM
Davcruz

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone gunman View Post
just for future reference, here is their reticle page with subtension:

https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/en/reticles/

but hey I tried lol, I think the Burris will serve you well. I love the 4 or 5 Burris scopes I own but the meopta's have better glass. and yes I will agree their website does suck but I think part of it is because they are a Czech republic based company and translation is not their strong suit. even their owner manuals can be hard to follow especially the older ones I have.

and yes please follow up with what you think of your new Burris scope. and just in case you don't know Burris and Steiner are both owned by Bereta. oh and I do own a Steiner military scope made in Germany too and my higher-end Meopta's have better glass than it does too but the glass is on par with my optika6 scopes. I hope you enjoy the new glass, take care!
Well dang, sure enough it is right there on their site...I even searched their site and came up with nothing. Looks like the center dot which I like is a bit large.

I did know about Burris/Steiner/Beretta. Burris is known for decent glass, even the Philippines units have nice glass, like Nikon used to (I have quite a few Nikons and love them all) but I will let you know what I think. I am sure I will get a Meopta at some point, they look great and a good buddy has one but I do not know which model, he loves them too.

Last edited by Davcruz; 10-29-2021 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Add to post