Rangefinders--School me - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:41 PM
Dusterdave173

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rangefinders--School me

I want a rangefinder--I am shooting 22 but also have a 222 that I will be working with
I am not looking for a cheapo--learned my lesson with scopes on that but don't want to go crazy--I am guessing something that would range 500 yds correctly
reviews are all over the place--what are some I should look at? Say...under $300 and if there is a decent unit for less that you like I am listening hard
Thanks RFC
Old 10-21-2021, 01:37 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
You donít get more because you pay more. I have an old Bushnell I paid about a hundred and twenty bucks for and a newer Leupold 1200 I paid about four times that amount for and they read the same. Iíve compared my Leupold against other less expensive and more expensive brands and they read the same. About the only difference is the more expensive ones will give you ďline of sightĒ distance for archery shooting out of an elevated tree stand the the cheap ones usually donít. What does that really meanÖ..nothing. With todayís flat shooting bows you can use line of sight and/or actual ground distance and the difference in arrow impact is just about identical. A couple of years ago I put a target up on the back side of my hill which is so steep you can barely walk up it. Shooting at a lasered distance of 119 yards with a .243 using the two different lasers resulted in less than one inch difference in bullet impact. Just my experience, yours might be different.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:50 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My 30 year old Bushnell still works fine but if I was in the market I'd probably go for their updated version. Gets great reviews and has a lot of features my old one doesn't.

https://www.bushnell.com/rangefinder...RoCYyQQAvD_BwE

Maybe it's just me but I took mine on several elk hunting trips and spent a lot of hours using it as a training tool to help me gauge distance to targets. After awhile I felt confident enough in eyeballing correct distances that I just left it at home. A nice set of field binos is a lot more useful now.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 02:19 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
I have had a mid-range Nikon for the last 10 years or so. Takes the guess work out of . . . well, finding the range to the target. The other critical measurement is whether you are shooting at a level target or "up" -- say to a target on a hill side, or "down" say from a treestand.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:59 PM
nevadany
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I've got the Halo XL600. Only complaint is sometimes I wish I could change the output to read in feet....but that's mainly for when the kids are messing around with it.

I was looking for inexpensive, but not junk...reviews were pretty good, and it serves the purpose well, especially for about $100...not disappointed

https://www.halooptics.com/rangefinders/xl-series/xl600

DW
Old 10-21-2021, 04:19 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (137)
I inherited an older Leica, seems to be accurate.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:21 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Iíve never seen one that wasnít accurate. What I do see is that some wonít measure inside twenty yards or they are black numbers instead of red. Iíve seen some where you canít adjust the intensity of the red and itís too brightÖ..all minor things that donít really affect using the unit. However, they all measured accurately. I think that part of the technology isnít all that difficult to make and make accurately. Itís the ďbells and whistlesĒ that sell the higher end ones.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:05 PM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my Lieca used off e-bay, works fine but what I didn't realize was how steady you need to be for taking a reading.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:05 PM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Sig Kilo 2000 that was a work horse. It got iffy past 1600 yards. Under 1200 its fast and consistent. I now use the Vortex Fury 5000. The Kilo 2k is definitely a good range finder for the money.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 11:00 AM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusterdave173 View Post
I want a rangefinder--I am shooting 22 but also have a 222 that I will be working with
I am not looking for a cheapo--learned my lesson with scopes on that but don't want to go crazy--I am guessing something that would range 500 yds correctly
reviews are all over the place--what are some I should look at? Say...under $300 and if there is a decent unit for less that you like I am listening hard
Thanks RFC
I have a Nikon ProStaff 550 (500 meters/550 yards) that meets all my needs. If it were to die, I would look for another one.

If I were a hunter, I might do better with a model that allows uphill/downhill measuring.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:55 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
My 30 year old Bushnell still works fine but if I was in the market I'd probably go for their updated version. Gets great reviews and has a lot of features my old one doesn't.
I have the Bushnell Legend 1200 model and am happy with it. From Bushnell's site it looks like it has been replaced with the 1300 model.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-...-LRF/580775857

Takes uphill / downhill angle into account to give actual horizontal range.

Will do bow as well as rifle calcs.

Will do pinpoint (range to that object if you can get it under the reticle) or object farthest from shooter (the brush setting, used when you can't get a good lock on target).

It has presets for different ballistics and shows MOA drop at that range for the selected preset but since I sight in for max-point-blank-range instead of zeroing at 100 yards I use the RF to pick out terrain features within my MPBR limit. I also put a piece of masking tape on the side with MOA drop for ranges beyond 225 yards at increments of 25 yards for those days when I'm walking around instead of sitting.

Reliable. Small enough to fit into one of the zippered pocket gadgets on my hunting vest. Seems pretty good on battery life -- I can't remember when I last changed it out.

Last edited by Sophia; 10-22-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Any Bushnell. They have been rated the best rangefinders for decades now. They can be pricey, but like a Leupold scope, you get what you pay for. Many are rated with the same accuracy though, so you will have to decide how much you can pay for one and go from there.

Oh, and don’t just check hunting stores or online places. Check golf too. Sometimes they have decent ones for less in the golf section, but usually the Bushnells are higher in the golf section than in the hunting section of a store.

Pick a brand a check YouTube for reviews.

Last edited by Gizzy; 10-22-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:30 PM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a newer Leupold. It has a feature that I could never do without- now that I've used it. It is called 'scan' or 'sweep' or something like that. It allows you to press the activate button and hold it down while you sweep or pan across the field of view- all the time ranging what ever it crosses. Very handy in ranging a small target. There are probably a lot of RFs that do this. But my old Leica did not. This one is waaaay easier to use.

this might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSabGFtXAvw

Last edited by StanHi; 10-22-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:03 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
if you don't mind used? look on eBay for an old Bushnell elite 1500 rangefinder. I paid 50 bucks for mine about five years ago and it will range from 5 yards to 1500. they are made in japan, not china, and have settings for brush, hills, etc, I haven't figured them all out but I am still running on the same 9-volt battery it came with. oh and mine has a camo finish.

this one even comes in a pelican case for 89 bucks, 30 to ship though. I almost thought about it lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20365809764...AAAOSwDSlhXK-U

here are a few to look at:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...used&_osacat=0

Last edited by lone gunman; 10-22-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:18 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post

https://www.bushnell.com/rangefinder...RoCYyQQAvD_BwE

Maybe it's just me but I took mine on several elk hunting trips and spent a lot of hours using it as a training tool to help me gauge distance to targets. After awhile I felt confident enough in eyeballing correct distances that I just left it at home. A nice set of field binos is a lot more useful now.

Frank
I trusted your recommendation and just ordered one.