Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:28 AM
PatientWolf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I’m looking to purchase a .22 WMR.

Based on reviews of questionable magazine reliability and the need to replace the feed ramp for reliability I have pretty much ruled out the Kel-tec CMR-30.

I am looking right now at either a Henry option or a Ruger American Rifle.

I know of a store that has the Golden Boy in stock, but would prefer the Small Game rifle or Carbine since I am concerned about the finish on the Golden Boy and prefer the peep sight option.

Sportsman’s Warehouse has the RAR #1458172 which has the 18” threaded barrel and fiber optic front sight.

I’m looking for advice from those with experience with these along with the reason for the suggestion.

Last edited by PatientWolf; 10-20-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:51 AM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Gotta ask..... What will be your primary use for this rifle?
Old 10-20-2021, 08:03 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not owned a Henry. I do own a Ruger American Rimfire in .22 magnum, 22 inch bbl. I personally like the fiber-optic front sight, but I scoped my rifle so the front sight came off. Some owners of the Ruger in that cartridge have had issues with fired case extraction, but mine has been trouble free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2021, 09:08 AM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the basic Henry 22 mag and have no problems recommending it, shoots great and I've never had an issue. Like most mags I've shot its ammo picky, mine likes CCI 40 grn hollow points. I would also look around for a older marlin to unless you're just set on those two options. No experience with the ruger
Old 10-20-2021, 10:33 AM
papatrout65

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My vote would be an older Marlin or a cz cant go wrong with either one.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:37 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My 2 cents.

Bolt Savage over Bolt Ruger. Ive had both.
Henry H001M is a fine lever gun. I have one.

But, if I were you Id look for a CZ in wmr. . 457, 455, or 452 .
Old 10-20-2021, 12:46 PM
PatientWolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanHi View Post
Gotta ask..... What will be your primary use for this rifle?
It will be for plinking mostly. Possible used for small game.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:32 PM
blkwollf

TPC Rating: 
96% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
Iím looking to purchase a .22 WMR.

Based on reviews of questionable magazine reliability and the need to replace the feed ramp for reliability I have pretty much ruled out the Kel-tec CMR-30.

I know of a store that has the Golden Boy in stock, but would prefer the Small Game rifle or Carbine since I am concerned about the finish on the Golden Boy and prefer the peep sight option.

Sportsmanís Warehouse has the RAR #1458172 which has the 18Ē threaded barrel and fiber optic front sight.

Iím looking for advice from those with experience with these along with the reason for the suggestion.
Don't wanna burst your bubbles,..but have U seen the availability + Price on .22 mag ammo lately?!!!
Old 10-20-2021, 02:11 PM
PatientWolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwollf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
I’m looking to purchase a .22 WMR.

Sportsman’s Warehouse has the RAR #1458172 which has the 18” threaded barrel and fiber optic front sight.

I’m looking for advice from those with experience with these along with the reason for the suggestion.
Don't wanna burst your bubbles,..but have U seen the availability + Price on .22 mag ammo lately?!!!
CCI 40gr HP was $20.25 incl. tax at WM for a milk carton of 125 rds. So about 16.2 cents each time it goes bang.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:24 PM
Wanderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22wmr carbines

Iíve had a CMR30 and a Henry pump in .22wmr for years, both run fine.
Havenít shot them side by side so canít comment as to whoís more accurate, but if a CMR30 is off the plate I wonít say much about it, but while my PMR had a long break in the CMR has never jammed or failed to fire.
The accuracy of the Henry is very good, but man thatís a heavy barrel for a rimfire. But itís my only pump and a lot of fun. The buckhorn sights are fast but not precise. For finer shooting, get the peep sights, worth it.
I also have a Ruger Am. Rimfire compact in .22lr, itís very handy, easy to add a rail & scope, and the factory irons are great BUT in terms of accuracy, it canít come close to my old Marlin or Remingtons.
Itís a lot more than a Henry but if you can find a Marlin 39A, THAT is the most accurate lever action rimfire Iíve ever shot. Henryís are nice for the price but you can see the difference in quality vs an $800 Big Boy but the 39A was made as well as my 80ís mod. 336.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:35 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm interested in the Beraga BMR that's hitting the market now. Can't go wrong with a CZ trainer for plinking and target shooting with open sights. Any CZ rimfire is a good gun. A varmint model is better for long range precision with a scope. I agree if plinking is your primary role, 22 LR is the way to go. It will get you to 100 yards with soda can accuracy every time using cheap ammo and is much more economical. 22 magnum will be better for primarily a hunting gun for coyotes and such where one shot power is more important over that same 100 yards and economy is not really a concern. If you want precision shooting and are wealthy to plink with higher cost ammo, 17 hmr is another good alternative for all around rimfire. Savage rifles have lousy magazines and over size grips on their stocks which I don't find comfortable. There are many good rimfire rifles out there but what you buy does depend on the use and the purpose of the rifle and your budget.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:11 PM
Buck720

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I own several it it’s really hard to say which one is the best. The Savage A22 mag is very accurate out of the box, my Henry H001m is a little picky with ammo but with the right bullet it’s accurate as well. Then comes marlin 922m it shoots good with most everything I feed it as well as my Remington 597m. I have a Ruger bolt action that is pretty dang accurate too plus the rotary clip is a big plus! It’s really up to what action you want most of them shoots well with the right ammo! By the way if your new to 22 wmr better find ammo before you buy a gun! I also have a Savage 93 that can place shots on a quarter at 50 yards!

Last edited by Buck720; 10-20-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several CZ 455 and a 512. Magazine commonality is kinda neat. All mine are in .22lr but a buddy of mine bought all his in .22WMR, including the 512.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:47 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Henry Frontier, 24" barrel in 22mag. It's pretty accurate, not ammo fussy and the long barrel, (IE: long sight radius), helps to guide your shots more accurately. I use the factory bead post front, with a Williams reciever sight and have plenty of adjustment for ranges as close as 20yds and out to 200yds. You'll appreciate the long barrel even more when your eyes begin to show some age. So I recommend the long barrel over the carbine, if you decide on a Henry.
If you want the most accuracy available in a 22 mag though, go with a bolt action. My Henry shoots very well, but cant compete with my Voere.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:53 PM
hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a CMR 30 and a PMR 30 both of which have been flawless and a CZ 512 Tactical in 22 Mag which has also been flawless. If I had to get rid of one of them, the CZ would be the first to go.