Want to get started - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:59 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

You don't have to spend a ton of $$$$ to enjoy yourself and have a good time. I've always shot used rifles that I didn't pay a lot for and won with them all and had a lot of fun along the way. Even too much fun a couple of times.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:57 AM
analretentive

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddshooter View Post
Take a look in the classifieds on here. There is a Suhl 150 for sale. I know this rifle and have shot it. Very accurate and has a great trigger. If you think you want to shoot unlimited a good choice to start with. If you decide you do want to shoot, be prepared to spend a few thousand bucks to get what you need to have to start. Rifle, tuner, scope, rings, flags and stands, front and rear rest or a one piece for more money. Ammo testing and purchase of what the the rifle prefers. Having a good place to practice is a big plus.
Go to one of the shoots and just watch, ask questions, look at what these folks are using and how their benches are setup. You’ll see folks that enjoy what their doing and are very good at it. Everyone of them started where you are now.
Good luck
Kiddshooter
Do you know who chambered that rifle, and what reamer they used? (No dog in this hunt)

Gerry
Old 10-15-2021, 02:00 PM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gerry,
I'm sorry i don't know. If I remember correctly the rifle does best with Lapua and some of the SK offerings. There is another Suhl for sale on Rimfire Accuracy that has a nice benchrest stock on it. It is about the same price. I know Bill Calfee was very high on the Suhl's for barrels and triggers in a factory rifle. The one for sale on here belongs to a shooting buddy of mine, so I have a little first hand knowledge on it. Is it as accurate as my Turbo, Shilen, McMillan rifle built by John Langley, no but it is a lot less money to spend to get into the sport and see how you like it.
Personally, I'm convinced there are a ton of really accurate rifles being used in ARA. The folks I see shooting the higher scores have been doing it for a long time, have great rifles and one piece rests and what they're best at is doping the wind.
JMHO
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2021, 03:42 PM
Turbosam
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
You don't have to spend a ton of $$$$ to enjoy yourself and have a good time. I've always shot used rifles that I didn't pay a lot for and won with them all and had a lot of fun along the way. Even too much fun a couple of times.
Imagine John just how good you could have done if only you were shooting a md-pas action 😉 hope all is well your way.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:05 PM
wildphil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You folks have given me loads of information. I am just reading and taking everything in. Thanks to all of you.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:35 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
Marty lmao ALL sports are about money! Not just rimfire, where have you been for the past 50 years? Top level anything always comes down to money. Lmao come out from under your rock and join the rest of the world.
sam, there is only 1 person on this forum that has asked and gotten help from Rutgers, Penn State and Draper engineering not to mention the 2 undergraduates from Penn State. one in Trevor who has worked for spacex who's specialty is vibration and damping....you are clueless. marty
ps: both Trevor and Joe were given target rifles for their help by me, as I have donated rifles, scopes, ammo and many rifle parts, triggers, stocks and more than a few items I more than likely have forgotten to blair county fish and forestry, bellwood sportsman and altoona rifle and pistol club. a cmp and nra affiliated sportsmen club. these clubs that by the way teaches sportsmanship which sometimes is the greatest gift to young folks, seems to be forgotten today.sam what have you given back???????? we all know the answer.... marty

Last edited by earnest; 10-15-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:56 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wildphil, the 40x is a great action, the locking lugs must be fitted and lapped to insure variation in small changes to primer variation. longer actions or those with 1 locking lug have a problem that minor variations in peak pressure results in barrel amplitude variation. so even when selecting actions with shorter, stouter 2 locking lugs both must have contact it's is a must. higher frequency vibrations are baked in. what's not baked in is what I call barrel time and how the barrel is pulled to a different shape. suhl's cz, anschutz or any single locking lug or any 2 lugs that aren't in precise contact is not and never will be the answer to precession shooting.... marty
Old 10-16-2021, 12:16 AM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Marty lmao ALL sports are about money! Not just rimfire, where have you been for the past 50 years? Top level anything always comes down to money. Lmao come out from under your rock and join the rest of the world.
sam, I think it was 2006 or 2007 Tomc sent a kid to my house to look and maybe buy 1 of my rifles, the kid had $ 1200 to spend, was getting married soon and had a child. that person left my house with a bubinga stock rifle with a 36x scope finished and bedded by Alex sitman. this young man was more than interested in bench shooting. that fella left my house with that rifle and more than enough money in his pocket he didn't have to worry about his wedding. I have always given back, now that I golf more than I shoot have given away 2 complete sets of new golf clubs. no one on this planet can say I don't give back..what do you give back sam?????..marty

Last edited by earnest; 10-16-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:21 PM
Turbosam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnest View Post
Quote:
sam, I think it was 2006 or 2007 Tomc sent a kid to my house to look and maybe buy 1 of my rifles, the kid had $ 1200 to spend, was getting married soon and had a child. that person left my house with a bubinga stock rifle with a 36x scope finished and bedded by Alex sitman. this young man was more than interested in bench shooting. that fella left my house with that rifle and more than enough money in his pocket he didn't have to worry about his wedding. I have always given back, now that I golf more than I shoot have given away 2 complete sets of new golf clubs. no one on this planet can say I don't give back..what do you give back sam?????..marty
Whoopie want a cookie old man? If you want to compete in top level anything it's gonna cost you. You don't compete so your opinion is worthless and of no use to anyone. Get from underneath that rock and go to a real match where there's top shooters shooting. I've given you the opportunity time and time again marty to put up or shut up and you've done nothing but run your trap. Go to a national and shoot your superior tuned gun and see just how good you are. Running your mouth over the internet does nothing gramps. I shoot in matches in conditions, what do you shoot again? That's right your mouth. Keep trying gramps maybe those degrees will serve you well one day, they sure aren't doing crap now
Old 10-16-2021, 09:42 PM
wildphil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As I look into rifles a bit. I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer online yet.

If I were to purchase a Walter or Anschutz and decide to install a new barrel for it. Do the barrel makers normally make replacement barrels for these rifles? I have not noticed online where they list the actions that they are available for. I know that I could call the companies and find out. But am hoping you all would not mind informing me of that information.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:54 PM
StephenBachiler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphil View Post
As I look into rifles a bit. I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer online yet.

If I were to purchase a Walter or Anschutz and decide to install a new barrel for it. Do the barrel makers normally make replacement barrels for these rifles? I have not noticed online where they list the actions that they are available for. I know that I could call the companies and find out. But am hoping you all would not mind informing me of that information.
I do not know..but why would you replace?
Old 10-16-2021, 11:19 PM
wildphil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenBachiler View Post
I guess that I am over thinking things. I was thinking that maybe if a barrel on a used firearm(I will probably buy a used rifle) could possibly not be as accurate as need be. And that a new barrel could be needed.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:56 AM
StephenBachiler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenBachiler View Post
I guess that I am over thinking things. I was thinking that maybe if a barrel on a used firearm(I will probably buy a used rifle) could possibly not be as accurate as need be. And that a new barrel could be needed.
My two cents:

You are over thinking it. If you buy an Anschutz...most likely it will be more accurate than you are..
Old 10-17-2021, 11:57 AM
Rick H.
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No matter what you buy it will always be a crap shoot in how it performs straight out of the gate. That's just the way things are. I have an Anschutz and a few M52's and even a 40X at one time. They were all pretty darn accurate rifles, but not at the custom rifle level. Accuracy wise it's a toss up right now between my 2013 Anschutz and my Winchester 52E model. I am sure I am the weak link in breaking the tie, but the point is no rifle is guaranteed to shoot well until it is put on paper by the person who is going to use it.

Rick H.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:38 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Whoopie want a cookie old man? If you want to compete in top level anything it's gonna cost you. You don't compete so your opinion is worthless and of no use to anyone. Get from underneath that rock and go to a real match where there's top shooters shooting. I've given you the opportunity time and time again marty to put up or shut up and you've done nothing but run your trap. Go to a national and shoot your superior tuned gun and see just how good you are. Running your mouth over the internet does nothing gramps. I shoot in matches in conditions, what do you shoot again? That's right your mouth. Keep trying gramps maybe those degrees will serve you well one day, they sure aren't doing crap now
c
Character sam is what you do when no one is watching, tomc, bob finger, don stith and myself all know as you told us about lacing glass rims with hot pepper for nothing but a thrill at a reception when you were nothing more than a meat slicer. what do you do when no one is watching???marty
ps: sam letting someone with your character shoot only shows the rot...would not in any way have you in my target shooting orbit....marty

Last edited by earnest; 10-18-2021 at 11:42 PM.