Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:28 AM
gas_gunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Browning SA-22

Does the Browning SA-22 scope very well, and if so how? I have always wanted an SA-22, but I have no intention of shooting open sights.

Danny
Old 10-12-2021, 06:29 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
A cantilever mount goes on the barrel,(for all produced after 1966) A few types exist.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:06 AM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
A cantilever mount goes on the barrel,(for all produced after 1966) A few types exist.
Does it work well and does the rifle shoot well scoped?

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2021, 08:17 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you mount the scope on the barrel the alignment of the receiver and barrel become moot. I would think you would get accuracy about like most 22 rifles with a scope. They are trim little guns and I would assume you would want a trim 2-7 power scope to match the lines of such a trim little gun. Should be a useful hunting rig. I'm sure someone with field experience will come along shortly. A lot of members have Browning or Remington take down rifles.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:33 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a leupold VXi 2x7-28 on both of mine. Just watch the cantilever mounts. The Weaver is a bit shorter and I couldn’t get both rings on it
Old 10-12-2021, 09:32 PM
RvrRnr
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve got a Leupold 4x28 on mine. The scope is very light and trim and it shoots very well.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:09 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While you can scope a SA22, it really is not the best candidate for a scope. The design and shape of the rifle makes it a perfect iron sights gun. With a scope, cheek weld is nigh impossible and ruins the balance of the rifle that sans scope hangs perfectly of the hand when in the field. A Ruger 10/22 makes a much better scoped rifle for the field. Just my opinion....
Old 10-13-2021, 07:46 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
To scope or not ?

I find I agree with GladesGuy that a Ruger 10/22 is a better rifle to scope. I have had a number of SA-22 rifles and at one time had a scope on one. I did not care for the use of nor the looks of the SA-22 scoped and sold the mount a while back.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:25 AM
jcp1300
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also use a Leupold 4 power on mine with the Browning mount. It's my go to gun for small varmints around the house. Easily minute of phoebe (sparrow sized bird) at 50 yards with some sort of rest.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 AM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
While you can scope a SA22, it really is not the best candidate for a scope. The design and shape of the rifle makes it a perfect iron sights gun. With a scope, cheek weld is nigh impossible and ruins the balance of the rifle that sans scope hangs perfectly of the hand when in the field. A Ruger 10/22 makes a much better scoped rifle for the field. Just my opinion....
Thanks for the comment. I had wondered about that. I have 10/22s, so maybe I should instead look for one of the Browning BAR 22s.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2021, 11:05 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weren’t the “BARs” jamomatics so they didn’t last long
Old 10-13-2021, 12:37 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I consider the Browning BAR 22 more of a collectors item than a shooter I would look for.

In my opinion, the Browning SA-22 is the best semi auto 22 rifle ever invented. Nobody has come close to the sleek design, the takedown feature and the quality at an affordable rifle.

A custom 10/22 style rifle is awesome, especially when scoped, but it isn’t as good for hunting, in my opinion. I have several custom 10/22s and I like them all, but they are a different style of rifle.

The SA-22 can be scoped with a cantilever mount, as Camster described. Of course, they aren’t as sleek and petite with the scope on them, but they are still great field rifles.

Comparing factory rifles with each other, one stands out as higher quality.

If a person wants a 10/22 style rifle, maybe a Kidd custom rifle is the way to go. They aren’t cheap, but they sure have the quality.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 PM
2manyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SA 22 Scope options

Browning did make a few SA22s with a grooved receiver for scope mounting. If you don't mind paying a premium and have the patience of Job you may be able to find one on Gunbroker. I lucked out and found one and it is sweet with a 4x Redfield. Leupold also made a semi-cantilever mount that straddled the folding rear sight on the SA22 so you didn't have to remove the iron sight to mount a scope. However, the mount did not have the "groove" for typical rimfire rings, but had the twist in Leupold rings. As a result you can't mount a scope very far to the rear and have to use an extended eye relief scope of some type.

Last edited by 2manyguns; 10-14-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:52 PM
Whirlwind

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning SA 22 auto scope options.

In my opinion the little Browning SA 22 auto looks and shoots best with a compact 3/4" diameter tube scope. A big 1" tube scope on a BR SA looks like a elephant sitting on a mouse. Up until 1998 Redfield made a 3/4" tube scope called the Westerner. Redfield also made one with Browning's name on it. To search eBay just type in 3/4" tube 4X rimfire scope. You will find those made by Redfield to be expensive but stay away from the low the dollar cheap ones made by Weaver, Bushnell and Tasco as used cheap 3/4" scopes all have a time clock in them. Any used scope bought has a risk factor of being defective and without warranty. A new 3/4" scope called the WolfPup is also advertised on eBay. The last time I searched for a cantilever barrel mount for my SA Browning their OEM web site said they were out of stock. I have had bad luck using generic made BR SA mounts. Early made Grade I BR SA rifles made in Belgium had grooved receivers which make for the most cosmetic pleasing scope profile and are plenty accurate for 50yd shooting or plinking. If you have a Grade II or higher BR SA the cantilever barrel mount is the only choice.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:53 PM
Jodwillow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree with Whirlwind

At one time (I suspect long long ago) Browning sold a proper cantilever dovetail mount and a Browning branded "Baby Redfield" 4 power 3/4" scope. I got lucky finding an original new in box mount, shortly after acquiring a Grade 2/3 Miroku made SA-22 with silver finish receiver and a hexagonal barrel. Baby Redfields or original Browning branded scopes are rare and expensive. But Grubee sells a modern optic repro of the Baby Redfield with dovetail mounts for around $160. The small scope and slender mount do not overwhelm the firearm and is true to the original look. Mine has the simple post type reticle and is capable of a true one round (with one little bump) hole at 25 yds. With a simple tripod style front and sqeeze bag rear set-up!