Wyoming score: Grizzly 1, Hunter 0 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-05-2021, 02:28 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Wyoming score: Grizzly 1, Hunter 0

A grizzly attacked and injured a hunter in northwest Wyoming on Saturday, authorities say.

The 45-year-old man call 911 at 7:38 a.m. Saturday to report that he had been mauled by a grizzly bear and needed help, according to the Park County Sheriff's Office.

The hunter decided to attempt to ride out of the wilderness to meet emergency responders. A Park County search and rescue team found him at 9:34 a.m. on the north side of the Shoshone River. He received treatment about a half hour later by medics when he reached a staging area, the sheriff's office said.

The man was then flown to Billings, Montana, for additional care.

The mauling is being investigated by Wyoming Game and Fish.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Jeepergeo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's nice to know there is still some wild in that wilderness. I hope the hunter recovers.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:14 PM
Boilerjack22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There was a woman a number of yrs ago, at the dump at Saranac Lake, NY, in the evening, tried to push the mother black bear over closer to the cubs, to get a better picture. Apparently the mother bear, was having none of it and bite the women and mauled her a bit. She later tried to sue the state of NY, for allowing wild animals to roam free, the court threw the case out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2021, 07:25 PM
carbine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerjack22 View Post
There was a woman a number of yrs ago, at the dump at Saranac Lake, NY, in the evening, tried to push the mother black bear over closer to the cubs, to get a better picture. Apparently the mother bear, was having none of it and bite the women and mauled her a bit. She later tried to sue the state of NY, for allowing wild animals to roam free, the court threw the case out.
Like they say, you can't fix stupid.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:09 PM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is why I carry a 10mm Glock in a chest holster when I hunt anymore. I hope to never need it.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:38 AM
bajasam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We had the opposite outcome here in tucson,az. a youth church group was camping at a developed campground and late at night a large black bear mauled a 15 yearold girl in a tent with others, she was menstruating at the time and was only person who was chewed up. the family sued az game an fish, and nat'l forest for allowing bears to roam around and family was awarded 4 million bucks by a federal court.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:46 AM
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajasam View Post
We had the opposite outcome here in tucson,az. a youth church group was camping at a developed campground and late at night a large black bear mauled a 15 yearold girl in a tent with others, she was menstruating at the time and was only person who was chewed up. the family sued az game an fish, and nat'l forest for allowing bears to roam around and family was awarded 4 million bucks by a federal court.
Really? Buncha idiots if that's true. But juries sometimes make bizarre decisions. I can't believe that one would stand up to an appeal, but often states aren't willing to take the trouble to appeal. After all, it's not THEIR money.

It's good to be a lawyer.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As the hunter lived, id say it was a tie.

As for the woman who pushed the sow, she got less than she deserved from the bear, and more than she deserved from the state.

As for the poor girl attacked in her sleeping bag. I hope the money gave her the opportunity to have a happy life.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:26 AM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Rather convenient to not provide the rest of the story;

1989; Forest Supervisor issued an order with regards to proper food storage and disposal.

Subsequently, at least one ranger deliberately refused to enforce said policy, and other rangers were supposedly never informed.
Violations of policy by visitors were specifically not addressed by Forest Service personnel.

Forest personnel were required by policy to conduct regular inspections of campsites re: food & refuse conditions; yet they routinely did not, and had not for this particular campsite.

USFS delegated wildlife management for that area to AG&F
Problem black bears were historically relocated to that /specific area/
Black bear in question was tagged #166; unclear if it was one of the relocated problem bears - perhaps insufficient recordkeeping.
/Weeks/ before the attack, #166 was reported as a problem in nearby camps
Days before the attack, reported complaint on #166 in adjacent camp, including it's habituated behavior & lack of fear of people.
However, no action had yet been taken by AG&F.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal.../1155/2467415/

So it might be reasonable to conclude that either the Forest Service and/or AG&F had some liability here.

Quote:
[...] family was awarded 4 million bucks by a federal court.
A settlement with Arizona Game and Fish was reached for a reported 2.5 million dollars.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/az-...#axzz795uPxHQj

So, 2.5 million rather than 4 million; and simply a settlement rather than a court judgement w/ jury.
Also, as long as we're making sure the facts are correct, it was a 16yr old on a 4-H outing, rather than a 15yr old on a youth church group outing; 5:15 in the morning rather than "late at night".
But aside from all of that, it sounds like the rest of your facts could perhaps be correct though.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 10-12-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:38 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Darn Kestrel! Why let the facts ruin a good story?
Old 10-14-2021, 12:05 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I mean, it's just so easy to make sure of publicly-available information these days; posting blatantly wrong information is either laziness or willfully deceptive - to create a false narrative that supports a preexisting opinion.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:10 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Kestrel,
I'm retired fish and wildlife.

I recall a case where AZGFD had to pay a lot for violating it's "3-strike" rule regarding nuisance bears? The way I remember it was that a 3rd strike required euthanasia of the bear but the dept. failed to follow its policy?

I'm guessing this is the same incident?

I know many FW agencies refer to the case as reason to make sure if you have such a policy, to follow it.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:05 PM
bajasam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, you have much more interest than myself, I'm surprised how accurate my memory was from 30 years ago.........lol. For those with the photo memory, didn't one of the chaperones have a pistol and dispatched the bear, or is my memory confused with a different story line??

Last edited by bajasam; 10-15-2021 at 01:34 PM.