Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:33 PM
Zack49
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A.O., how important?

all of my scopes are A.O.. in most situations how important is it to have A.O.? excuse my ignorance. i started using scopes around 10 years ago. mostly on airguns shooting F.T.. for hunting small game i'm starting to lean towards a fixed objective. most of the time you don't have time to focus the scope & depending on the distance you can be out of focus. opinions? i seek your guidance.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the smaller/farther the target the more important it is. for squirrels, my normal range is 25-50 yards. i set the AO in the middle and adjust if i have time. most of my shots i dont have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2021, 08:54 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
AO for a rimfire scope is critical.
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2021, 09:06 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
If you shoot at typical 22LR ranges of 25-75 yards and your scope is set for that range there is no need for AO. Another factor is the fit of your stock, if it fits you well and puts your eye in the same place every time then parallax is less likely to be a problem. For hunting, any time spent fiddling with your scope is time you could have spent setting up a good shot on your target.

Last edited by motovita; 09-18-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:55 PM
Zack49

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
can fixed objectives be readjusted?
Old 09-18-2021, 10:02 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a BSA Sweet17 AO scope at Dick's a couple of years ago, in a search for an increase in accuracy. My intent was to find out how much parallax was a part of my accuracy. I was shooting 196.change/200 and with that cheap scope I increased to 197.change/200. So, about .5/change/200 better. Once ammo prices descend from the stratosphere, I'll be back at the range. Haven't shot it in a year. I have since learned a bit about increasing accuracy here, so I'll be trying those things. I shoot at 50 feet at A-32 targets, btw.

Last edited by Steeveedee; 09-18-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:30 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack49 View Post
can fixed objectives be readjusted?
Yes there's a long thread in this forum about it, search for parallax adjusting at home.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:43 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
If you use a scope that is for a centerfire on a rimfire, then you need AO. Close range will give you problems under 100 yards.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:09 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I figure I improved my 22 groups by 30ish% a few years ago by going to AO. For me I cant shoot any closer than the parallax error unless by luck.
A fixed scope is predetermined by someone else as to what they think is your optimum compromised distance. With AO you choose it. I like making my own decisions.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-19-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack49 View Post
all of my scopes are A.O.. in most situations how important is it to have A.O.? excuse my ignorance. i started using scopes around 10 years ago. mostly on airguns shooting F.T.. for hunting small game i'm starting to lean towards a fixed objective. most of the time you don't have time to focus the scope & depending on the distance you can be out of focus. opinions? i seek your guidance.
Zack49 sir i will not buy a new scope without either a A/O or side focus...you maybe fine now but as the years go by you be happy that you went the extra mile and got a scope/s with it. Most scopes under a 3-9x don't come with that feature...but anything above that better have one or I won't even look at them. My eyesight has changed a lot over the last 10 years and I am so happy I only have one scope out of all the ones I own that I can't crank up to max these days....but I am good with all the rest.

Signalman
Old 09-19-2021, 09:14 AM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a old Bushnell 4x that i reset the parallax to 40 yds with it i am good from about 7 yds up to around 50 ,have a old 6x Bushnell i reset to 50 yds parallax it is good from around 10 to 60 yds or so.I use these two rifles till the leaves are off because i am fast on target with them but after leaves are gone i go to my Leupold 3-9 EFR or my Weaver RV9 thats four different 22 RF rifles. I have a 17Hm2 that has a Nikon 6-18 side focus but i have not used it yet, it will focus down to around 20yds but it says 50yds min on the specs.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Almost all of my scopes are AO and either Mil-Dot or BDC reticle.

Recently I added an adjustable (fits any diameter) throw lever to the AO ring on one of my scopes. Makes it much easier to adjust. Search Amazon for "throw lever".
Old 09-19-2021, 11:41 AM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like to say that AO opens up the number of scopes on the market that can be used on rimfire. In my squirrel hunting I use 5-6 power and AO set to 40 -50 yds. I don't touch it after that. If I had to adjust it every time I saw a squirrel, I wouldn't use it. I have found that if you use a better scope you will find that AO set on 40 or 50 yds will work from 20 to beyond 50. Some of the less expensive scopes that I have, while being clear, will have a more critical AO adjustment. Also while not being a target shooter really, sometimes I like to show my crack shot son how to shoot very small objects when you can use 12 power with the correct AO adjustment. Also the scope can be used on centerfire for deer hunting. Just set the AO and forget it. Just my opinion, I hope some of it makes sense.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:45 AM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
Almost all of my scopes are AO and either Mil-Dot or BDC reticle.

Recently I added an adjustable (fits any diameter) throw lever to the AO ring on one of my scopes. Makes it much easier to adjust. Search Amazon for "throw lever".
If you get a chance could we see a photo of your throw lever? It sounds interesting, the only downside I can think of would be on scopes like the 6.5-20 EFR on which the AO rotates more than 360 degrees.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:46 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
AO is important for precision shooting. If you are just plinking it's not as critical, or if you are using a fairly low magnification scope (as Signalman already said).

I personally have AO or SF on every scope I own, but that wasn't always the case. Early on none of my scopes had AO and I was still able to shoot pretty accurately inside 100 yards. I believe at that time the highest power scope I had was 12×.

If you can keep yourself lined up consistently shot to shot then you can effectively eliminate parallax. This is easier said than done though. By being able to adjust it on the scope you can eliminate it that way and your head placement doesn't become as critical.