Prepping for 1st Appleseed - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:10 PM
mattri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Prepping for 1st Appleseed

Been wanting to try an Appleseed for years now and hopefully going to actually get the chance in about a month!

Rifle is a bone stock Winchester Wildcat- not a lot of love for these guns around here and in truth they are... well what they are, but seems to be more than accurate enough and feeds well.

Eyes aren't what they used to be so running a 2.5-10 PST that I plan to use on 5x.

Have run a few different kinds of ammo and Aguila subsonic hollow points seem to be the most accurate so hoping to find enough of those to get through.

Just ordered a sling, haven't really used one before.

Feel pretty confident on the prone position and maybe passable sitting but offhand is definitely my weak spot. Did a little offhand shooting today at 25y and there is certainly room for improvement.

Really looking forward to the whole experience, excited to be learning new skills. Will update how the initial practicing is going and hopefully how the event itself goes.

Open to any tips/suggestions in the meantime. Thanks, Matt.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:32 AM
MilSurplus
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Matt,

preparing for your first Appleseed? How exciting! If you are looking for tips on the skills of shooting, well, that’s what the weekend is for - go with an open mind and “a teachable attitude” (that’s an AS thing). But the basics? This is an old tutorial from the AS founder himself. It’s not a bad place to start.

https://becomingriflemen.wordpress.com/

As for the rest, knowing the typical AS weekend schedule can alleviate the uncertainty of the unknown. Here’s a typical schedule of the marksmanship activities (history lessons sprinkled in during breaks).

Sat
- welcome and safety briefing. You can claim a spot on the shooting line with your shooting mat, but keep that rifle in the car until specifically told to get it.
- retrieve your rifle from your car and make it safe (mag out, bolt back, safety on, chamber flag in, rifle laying on your mat pointed downrange, no one touching their rifles once grounded).
- shoot the morning Redcoat target. You’ll need 13 rounds ready for this fun exercise.
- shoot various training targets ALL DAY SATURDAY, with the 1” squares being the dominant one that day.
- learn/practice…steady hold factors in prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing…Natural Point of Aim…and Six Steps to Firing a Shot.
- time should allow at least one Appleseed Qualification Test near the end of Day 1.
- shoot a second Redcoat target to close the day. Notice your progress from the morning Redcoat.

[Give that rifle a real good once over that night. You just shot 150-200 rounds in one day, with more to come on Sunday.]

Sun
- welcome/safety.
- bring rifles to the line, make safe.
- morning Redcoat.
- AQTs and fun shooting activities.
- afternoon Redcoat.
- adios, go forth, practice what you’ve learned, dry fire SAFELY, and start lookin’ for your second AS clinic.

In the end, relax, enjoy it, be safe at all times, and consider yourself fortunate. An AS weekend is a wonderful experience. Great training at a great price. And heck, you get to shoot for two whole days with a bunch of great folks!

Last edited by MilSurplus; 07-26-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:32 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot my second AS a couple weeks ago. Lots of fun!
Donít worry about the MOST accurate ammo. You should use the ammo you can get about 400 rounds of as long as itís reasonably accurate. I used Remington Thunderbolts day one, switched to a different rifle and CCI Stingers day two. Obviously not the greatest ammo out there, but I wanted to use it up.
My best of the weekend was 229 on the first day. 216 on Sunday with the Stingers.
Reliable cycling is very important. If youíre struggling with malfunctions youíll lose time and gain frustration. Struggling with magazine changes will cost you time.
Get the cloth Garand sling. It works. Nylon is slippery.
Offhand gets more stable with the sling. I canít explain why, it just works.
Bring a shooting mat to lay on, and use your padded gun case under your elbows in the prone stages. Youíll thank me on Monday.
Donít eat a big lunch.
Bring a pen, chamber flag, eye protection, and earplugs. A baseball cap on backwards can help keep your buddyís hot brass off your neck. If not, itís only hot for a second.
Take all the crap out of your front pockets.
Go slow on the bottom row. You have plenty of time, and misses count double just like the hits do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 04:10 PM
mattri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great replies thanks for the info!

Gueas I need to.pick up a shooting mat and chamber flag.

Hope to get a little more practice in beforehand but time will tell👍
Old 07-26-2021, 06:53 PM
MilSurplus
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattri View Post
The great thing about Day 1/Saturday is that you have all day to really dial in your rifle as you learn/practice the standard field positions. Of course, if you come in with a zero you have confidence in, all the better.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:46 PM
mostly22lately

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattri View Post
Great replies thanks for the info!

Gueas I need to.pick up a shooting mat and chamber flag.

The Appleseed shooting mat is nice and was lower cost than some others.

Bring at least two ten round magazines that you know work well in your rifle. Label one "2" and the other "8" in a way that you can clearly see.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:23 PM
wonshott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
i believe everyone gets a tshirt and a chamber flag when attending an appleseed. i recommend laying down in prone and sitting on the floor at least 3 times a week. maybe work yourself up to 10 minutes each position and it wont be as painful when you do attend your appleseed
Old 07-27-2021, 09:24 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
At my last event they gave out chamber flags. Nice touch.
Looking foward to my next event.

Mals
Old 07-27-2021, 11:23 PM
mattri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool good to know.

Picked up an 800 pack of subs today, and have 500 of the good hollowpoints en route, that should do for now.

Will definitely be stretching and practicing positions in the weeks to come.