Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:47 PM
bocash3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sear Bar Spring Orbiting Earth!!!

I'm old enough and have enough mistakes under my belt that all y'all can call me Dummy!!

See HS Supermatic Citation Military 106 earlier thread.

So I'm taking advice from that earlier thread and finally made time to tear into this nice HS.

Took off Left grip. Loosened Side plate........... BOING!!!

Something hit back of right hand and bounced off of a cardboard box or something else. Ran a powerful magnet around for 30 minutes to no avail. Lots of boxes and containers close by, so going into each one and every corner and crack around my gun bench before I give up.

I see the milled-out area below the sear bar. I assume that was the resting
place of the SEAR BAR SPRING, part # 10461 ? That spring may have joined some springs from .22 rifles that went into orbit and disappeared over the years.

I replaced side plate, cocked and fired but the hammer did not drop, assuming because the spring was not present to push up against the Sear Bar? I pushed up on the sear bar with a tiny flat screwdriver and the trigger re-set, so spring is definitely missing.

OK, have I named the right part? IF so, does anyone have a photo showing the correct installation position should I find the cotton-picking thing? If not found soon, I'll order one.

Thanks so much, Dummy Bo
Old 06-21-2021, 03:12 AM
jlp4951

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
In the link HSWayne provided look at photos -the spring is not there, but it goes in the u-shaped cut out below sear/ trigger bar.
The spring sits in the recess and pushes up and back on the lower tab of the sear/trigger bar.

Spring is a simple U or V shape.

http://hscollectorsblog.blogspot.com...-is-stuck.html

Wolffgunsprings has individual springs and complete spring sets

Last edited by jlp4951; 06-21-2021 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:45 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alan Aronstein (Interarms Texas....interarmstx.com) can provide almost any part you would need for a High Standard. Most of his parts are made to the drawings that were originally Hi Std Connecticut engineering drawings. He is partnered with his former employees that all worked for High Standard Houston Texas that manufactured now defunct Houston Texas Hi Std clones. Alan productionized for those guns for nearly 30 years (?) basing the new manufacture of those clones and parts on the original Connecticut drawings obtained by investors purchase of the name, some tooling, and some parts in the 1990's. Recently the Texas company went into bankruptcy which released Alan to start his new company and for his former employees to offer still another new Hi Std clone (X-Series??).Alan offers a repair service as well.

Without that "V" shaped trigger/sear bar/disconnector spring the sear bar will not grab the sear to allow the trigger to reset (connect to the sear). The gun thinks the slide is out of battery as the bar is not up to allow sear engagement to the bar.

When disassembling these guns you have to be aware that there are loose parts under the grip panels....contain them as you remove the grip panels. On the other side there is the tiny slide latch spring that is easily damage during that side grip panel installation. If that tiny spring is kinked then it needs replacement...buy several as smashing them during grip panel installation is easy to do. You must make sure the spring is not getting kinked as you install the grip panel. Holding the latch in place while putting the grip panel back on usually does the trick.

I would also add that Numerich is the last place I would buy any gun parts. Often the parts they supply are used and/or incorrect, in my 30+ years of experience fixing my guns.

LDBennett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2021, 02:08 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks fellers. As usual, all good information.

I printed information from HSWAYNE, but since the sear bar spring
is absent, I assume the following based on the milling cut::

I assume the spring sits in the cut just like an upright "V" ?

So the 2 blunt ends of the "V" spring push UP on the sear bar area?

Still can't find the original, so ordering 2 of them from the guy you recommended. *******Follow-up............OOPS.........looks like he does not have any. May have to go
to Numrich in desperation. ********

THANKS so much!! Bo

Last edited by bocash3; 06-21-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:57 PM
jlp4951

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
did you try wolffgunsprings ?
yes goes with open side v up
front leg pushes against frame cut out -back pushes sear bar up and back
Old 06-21-2021, 03:03 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, JLP..........

Yep, just tried Wolff Springs. They did not even come close.

QUESTION: not having seen this spring before it grew wings, are
both sides of the "V" the same length?

In other words, does it matter which leg goes on what side when
installing?

Thanks, Bo
Old 06-21-2021, 03:11 PM
jlp4951

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?r...419_301&page=4
spring is symetric Jack First page has them and a photo

Wolffgunsprings
https://www.gunsprings.com/HIGH%20ST...1/mID28/dID139

In HSWayne photos you can see where upper part of rear leg of spring rubbed in frame recess

Last edited by jlp4951; 06-21-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:34 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again.

I looked a 2nd time at Wolff but without more details or photos, I could
not tell what they were selling (in reference to my model). Was not going
to order a spring in the blind.

So Jack First got an order for 3 of these springs, very reasonably priced.

I hope this might also take care of my trigger problem, maybe combined with trigger adjustment to a higher pull weight. Am wondering if that spring might
have been placed in there at the wrong angle by a previous owner?? No way to know. Only the orbiting spring knows...................

Take care, Bo
Old 06-21-2021, 03:47 PM
jlp4951

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
that spring normally stays in place when uncovered -so maybe it was messed up and also related to trigger return problem. But while it is apart pull trigger bar and clean/ lube the shaft that goes through top of trigger
Old 06-21-2021, 03:54 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good idea, JLP.

Have already bathed exposed areas using solvents and a nozzle tube to get the pressurized spray into openings. I know this won't eliminate all deeply trapped crud so will go further before the new spring arrives.

Thanks and take care, Bo
Old 06-21-2021, 07:58 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sear spring

Here are a couple of photos showing how the sear bar spring should be located in the gun. The spring does not normally fly out when the side plate and safety lever are removed. Put the new sear bar spring back into the frame in this orientation. This pistol has fired in excess of 100,000 rounds without difficulty. Just regular maintenance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (543.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.jpg (517.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by HSWayne; 06-21-2021 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-22-2021, 08:13 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From the picture you can see that the spring operates against the trigger bar/sear bar/ disconnector at a 45 degree angle. The vertical component of that force forces the disconnector hump up into the cut in the bottom of the slide to relay to the trigger that the slide is fully closed. The slide pushes the hump down during firing, disconnecting the bar from the sear. The horizontal component of that V spring force acts to reset the trigger after pull of the trigger for firing. It is the trigger return spring, if you will.

Once you take off the side plate as shown in the picture, cleaning the internals of the gun is easily done with an aerosol cleaner for guns followed by compressed air. But first remove the slide, then the trigger bar/sear bar/ disconnector (assuming you have the side plate removed as in the picture). The trigger bar/sear bar/ disconnector should just slip out of the trigger and off the sear and lift out. You can clean down inside the frame and anywhere you can see with that cleaner and compressed air. Then use a lube like BreakFree that penetrates over the trigger parts and the frame. Allow it to set for an hour or so and gently remove the excess BreakFree with compressed air, leaving enough to act as a lubricant for all the moving parts. The trigger will never operate reliably if the internals are gummed up with dirt and old oil.

As for the trigger adjustments, the trigger pull screw at the back of the frame allows only minimal adjustment and even at its adjustment highest point (all the way in) rarely exceeds 3 pounds while all the way out is suppose to limit the pull to 2 pounds. Flush with the rear of the frame is the common setting. The overtravel screw in the trigger can not be set too close or the trigger will fail to reliably reset (reset is when the trigger bar/sear bar/ disconnector re-engages the sear after firing and release of the trigger). It is adjusted in small increments until the trigger will just not reset. Then the adjustment is backed off for 1/4 to 1/2 turn from there (no closer that that or the trigger will not reliably reset after firing).

I am surprised Alan could not help? He would have access to those springs from the former employees parts source that they use for the new Series-X guns. Next time call him directly. He has a lot more than what is on his web page (Not a stellar web page , in my opinion).

Hope this helps.

LDBennett