What if, there where no CZ's - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:58 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What if, there where no CZ's

I was wondering to myself last night about being a gun hipster. And thinking about what next?

The thing is I'm starting to think of upgrading to a less common and hopefully more accurate rifle, my 455 is pretty amazing but the synthetic stock really lets it down.

It feel like I have to wrestle this rifle to get it to shoot consistently at 50 and 100 yards

My issue is this I need to know that I'm the problem if the bullet strikes wide, low or otherwise off center. Not being 100% about my rifle is niggling me.

I lay the blame squarely at this forum, youtube and my fellow rabbit holers for this realization

As well as the guys at my club who always say the same, "I like to know it was me who buggered up the shot not my rifle, or ammo"

Which is why the majority of my club members just use centre x as opposed to Eley black box

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the modern Anschutz sporter the look turns me off completely they are known for ejection issues. My 54 match used to do the same before I scrubbed the chamber

Now I'm in a spin as buying a wooden laminate stock for my CZ will cost pretty much the same and possibly a lot more than buying a complete rifle. Added to that, it seems impossible to get spare barrels here and running a pencil in a heavy barrel stock would just look really trampy.

I have 3 options

1. Convert a BSA international into a short barreled suppressed sporter

2. Sako Finnfire (the old version) but I haven't handled one they seem to have quite a large action for rimfire.

3.Unsure any suggestions, would be appreciated

If there where no CZ's, in a parallel universe what would be the alternative. But with with slightly better accuracy right out of the box

Thanks in advance

Disco'

Last edited by Discontinued; 05-14-2021 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:33 AM
Todd-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beraga Br14R would probably be in the safe if the CZ's weren't.

The obvious competitor is the Tikka at that price point. Not sure if the accuracy is greater but from the posts it seems to be on par from what the people that have them post. I almost bought one but all the plastic turned me off.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:51 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Why cant you get a oem CZ 455 stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Why cant you get a oem CZ 455 stock?
Just a WAG but because Disco is in the UK?

If there were no CZs this pic of squirrels snuggling up to stay warm in the winter would not exist.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1620994279
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F159EC2C-D126-462E-9A6B-4F7FCAFDA8B4_1_201_a.jpg (561.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 AM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
Beraga Br14R would probably be in the safe if the CZ's weren't.

The obvious competitor is the Tikka at that price point. Not sure if the accuracy is greater but from the posts it seems to be on par from what the people that have them post. I almost bought one but all the plastic turned me off.
+1 on the Tikka

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1#post12316301
Old 05-14-2021, 09:03 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What if, there were no CZs?

I would have a lot less guns, more money, and not be as happy!

Wonderdog1
Old 05-14-2021, 10:06 AM
ZMan57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
... running a pencil in a heavy barrel stock would just look really trampy.
Hi there!

I do have a recommendation, but we'll get to it last - first, I want to say I really enjoy reading your posts, for 2 very specific reasons:

1. The many cool Britishisms you use - my favorite from today's post quoted above.

2. Your posts remind me how good we have it in the States.
As an American of only the naturalized variety I don't take anything I enjoy in my adopted country for granted, and certainly not the fact that I own enough firearms to equip a medium size (not a small one) militia, or that I can take an overall serviceable but not quite to my liking firearm and make it exactly what I want it to be.

Oh yes - I promised a recommendation - Tikka T1X MTR, 500 American if you can find it, minus the Tupperware stock, of course, but that's why they make the Bravo chassis at KRG.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2021, 12:35 PM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (120)
In the same price range....Tikka T1X........very very accurate rifles
Old 05-14-2021, 01:25 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Such a stressful title. Surprised the mods haven't deleted the thread.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:21 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post

Wonderdog1
What an excellent reply, I've found Sako Quads to be a nice replacement, along with the better models of Winchester and Remington's classic rifles, Anschutz, Krico, Walther, Mauser and such are good as well. So I'd be okay, but what you said. Well likely not the more money part, most of the others would have cost me a good bit more money.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:56 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post

Wonderdog1
That's for sure . . . If that were the case I would appreciate that I have a set of Steyr Zephyr II's for walk-around hunters, the Anschutz Match 54 MS for bench shooting, the Sako Quad Range for my 17 HMR, a Cooper 36 & Winchester 52 Sporter for some personal match shooting, and a couple of Magnum Research MLR-22's for offhand target shooting & plinking. That would also mean that these rimfires would get much more range time than they currently do.

Then " if" I would have put all the funds spent on CZ rimfires, rings, scopes, & slings into a savings account . . . I would use those funds to add an Anschutz sporter and/or a Cooper 57 with some of the best wood they offer. Then I would have to figure out what I would use to build out a custom chassis rimfire as well.

This thread reminds me to appreciate the CZ rimfires I do own as well as all the others already listed above . . . and I really do. .
Old 05-14-2021, 06:11 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
.............If there where no CZ's, in a parallel universe what would be the alternative. But with with slightly better accuracy right out of the box........
No CZ's, then Brno would probably still be making rifles....
Old 05-14-2021, 06:17 PM
bilrus61

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to bilrus61
Have someone else shoot it

Not trying to be a smarty here but sometimes a gun just doesn't "fit" a person. If you let a couple of other known quality shooters try it out and they shoot it fine then you might need to think about how it fits you.

My sny stock 455 shoots fine. Have you checked out the other suspects? Mounts,scope and stock screws? I'm always amazed at how many folks blame gun and or ammo but never suspect their cheap low quality scope. Or for that matter medium priced low quality scope.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:39 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
No CZs EVER? In that case, I would have likely gone down the road of starting with a Kimber of America, or some version of an Annie Sporter. If I’d stuck with RFC influences back then, I’d probably have gone the route of a Sako Quad, and then went off the deep end assembling component guns (10/22). Did both anyway, with no regrets. RFC and CZ were made for each other in my world back then. If weren’t for both, I’d probably have stalled after the Anschutz or Sako.

Currently, the Tikka seems to be the best game in town for NIB mid-priced accuracy. I’m not endeared by the tupperware stocks on any first look. Beautiful wood grabs my attention, but reliable accuracy holds it no matter the stock mat’l. My two favorite firearms both have synthetic stocks which FIT me very well.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:10 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
None. Ever. (....shudder....)

Well, here's how mine could be replaced. Maybe.

BRNO Model 1 - Savage 23 AA
CZ 455 Lux - I'd have to finish swapping my Anschutz Achiever into the little Jeager stock I picked up for it. Marlin 81 with a Rifle Basix trigger might do it too.
CZ 455 Varmint TH Fluted - I don't own a direct replacement.
CZ 455 Varmint w/Mr Fly - I don't own a direct replacement.
CZ 455 Varmint w/Yo Dave - maybe my Savage Mk II TR. shoots great, but big drop off in quality. Really big.
CZ 455 American 22 WMR - Marlin 983 (walnut fleur-re-lis version) w/Rifle Basix trigger
CZ 457 Varmint - I don't own a direct replacement. So far it has been a fabulous rifle. I'm not really sure what could replace it for anywhere near what it cost me.

FWIW, the only replacement that's an improvement is the 23 AA over the BRNO.
But as things stand it can't be scoped, so I'd still say advantage BRNO until I correct that.