Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:48 AM
rvr350
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Suppressed noise level between 16 v. 20”

I have a 455 American in 20” and 457 16” bull barrel. Which will be a better suppressor host for cci std velocity?

I find the 457 16” seems somehow a bit louder at my ear tham the longer 20” 455, but i just want to find out maybe it was a lot i used.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:26 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hi Rvr350, to a listener's ear sound level decreases by 6dB for every doubling of distance. So yes, the muzzle being 4" further from your ears is a 20% +/- increase and would reduce the perceived sound level by 1.2 dB. For reference 1 dB difference is the smallest unit perceivable by a human with good hearing in a controlled environment.

This is all hypothetical and would depend on a variety of external factors such as reflective surfaces surrounding your shooting area, indoors, outdoors, etc.

To answer your particular question, I highly doubt different lot numbers would have any affect and yes the longer the barrel the less perceived noise you the shooter will hear.

Clear as mud??

Frank
Old 05-13-2021, 01:23 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I imagine it's what you'd expect from your experience shooting non-suppressed, 16" will be a little louder than 20". Are they both threaded 1/2x28? If so, I would just move the can around as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2021, 02:37 PM
rvr350
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
It all makes sense. Next time i just need to ask my neighbor for an unbiased noise test

On another note, i usually dont clean my rimfire too often, but last i looked at my 457 which i suppressed most often, it almost looks like a pierced primer with gunks everywhere, even closing the bolt was difficult... and when i took my dead air mask apart, its quite dirty as well. I guess that’s the price of having so much fun.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:01 PM
automaticlee

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Shooting suppressed kicks a lot of dirt back into the action. Also some ammunition is dirtier than others.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:02 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. A good suppressor and CCI Std vel ammo is a heck of a good combination.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:38 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
The sound will change with ammo, barrel length, and suppressor. Either will still be very quiet.

Iron
Old 05-14-2021, 05:06 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You would probably find it hard to tell the difference to be honest.

I had a 12 inch Volquartsen barreled 10/22 with a suppressor mounted, it was notably louder than my longer barreled version.
Although from around 30 meters away you could only hear the action cycling which was surprisingly loud!

However a 12 inch barrel leaves a lot of unburnt powder, which would fill up the silencer to the point it sounded like someone had poured sand into it.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
on a rifle, with a decent can you wont be able to tell a difference in barrel lengths at 16 vs 20. especially a bolt rifle. the barrel/chamber, bolt face does get dirtier faster suppressed, but with a bolt rifle its easy to clean and the action doesnt get filthy like shooting a semi suppressed does. with my dead air mask, my silencerco sparrow and my griffin optimus micro on the bolt guns, the loudest thing is the click of the trigger with standard velocity ammo. you can hear the bullet strike the target.

Last edited by Clem-E; 05-15-2021 at 07:33 PM.