Finally picked up a 617!! - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:43 PM
Paul57guns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Very sorry to see this. As others have mentioned, S&W should replace it. At one time I had both a 6-inch and a 4-inch 617. I sold the 6-inch version as I found it to be too muzzle heavy. The 4-inch version I've had for 10 years+ - couldn't be happier. Great trainer for those new to shooting.
Paul57guns
Old 05-30-2021, 12:02 PM
carbine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in SC View Post
The build up is normal for a revolver that hasnít been properly cleaned. I clean the cylinder and frame every outing to avoid the build up. Of course some ammo is much worse than others, high velocity in most cases will lead faster.
What I was going to say.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:40 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, I got an email last saturday that it was received, and the issued an RMA for it.

I called today, and they said it is still being evaluated, call back middle of next week.

the wait continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2021, 08:59 PM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would shoot that gun with good quality ammo before doing anything to it.
My guess on the leading issue is that the previous owner had a large supply of Remington Thunderbolt ammo and ran it through the 617. He probably traded it because of the leading which may have affected accuracy. About a year ago I witnessed a guy shooting a Ruger .22 auto what leaded so bad that shots keyholes at 25 yds. The shooter knocked a chunk of lead out of that barrel. He was shooting Thunderbolts.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_80 View Post
Well, I got an email last saturday that it was received, and the issued an RMA for it.

I called today, and they said it is still being evaluated, call back middle of next week.

the wait continues.
It took them a while when I sent my M63 with a bad frame to them. They had to send it to their metallurgy shop for evaluation. They replaced it, though, as I suspect they will your 617.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:35 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
I would shoot that gun with good quality ammo before doing anything to it.
My guess on the leading issue is that the previous owner had a large supply of Remington Thunderbolt ammo and ran it through the 617. He probably traded it because of the leading which may have affected accuracy. About a year ago I witnessed a guy shooting a Ruger .22 auto what leaded so bad that shots keyholes at 25 yds. The shooter knocked a chunk of lead out of that barrel. He was shooting Thunderbolts.
you must not have read the whole thread- The frame is cracked, it's at S&W for evaluation, and hopefully replacement.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:25 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just called S&W support to check on the status, and they said it was sent to the Metallurgical labs for evaluation, and sent back to Support, and I should get a letter or email with findings soon. Whatever that means... I sure hope it doesn't cost me anything, or at least not much... I spent almost $800 on this revolver...
Old 06-16-2021, 11:33 AM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
It won't cost you a dime. The frame was cracked and that is a factory problem.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:45 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
It won't cost you a dime. The frame was cracked and that is a factory problem.
I wish they would call me instead of email or letter, I know they have many returns and such, but I wish they could call...
Old 06-16-2021, 12:05 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Just be patient. Life is must easier when you learn patience. It is a corp. and they have thier procedures. If you bug them too much they will say, "Oh it is him agian" A inquiry from a patient man has the response of "that guy was very understanding and polite, I will try and get him taken care of as fast as I can"

You get what you give in life.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:48 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Patience isn't my strong suit when it comes to issues like this.

Called back today to see if there was a status update... It is now with their revolver department, which the guy told me is shut down for two weeks for annual maintenance. So likely another 4-5 weeks till I hear anything.

Ironically, I was in a buddies shop yesterday, and they had a 4" 617 in stock.

Don't know why they would wait so long and not send a new one- very clearly the frame is junk, and the barrel needs work- I imagine it costs more to break a gun down, repair the barrel, and swap all the parts to a new frame than it would to just send a new one...

But It's not my call...

frustrating. I waited a few years to afford this gun, now I can't even get a clear timeline on when I will get one back.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:50 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would have bought the 4 inch and then I'd sell your current gun once it got back from Smith. I'd ask them for a refund by the way.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:15 PM
HalfMoA
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$hitty 617 Barrels

I was able to find a used S&W 617 that was 97% on the outside, but bore looked worse than the first 4-8 inches of my NRA .223 Match Rifle barrel after nearly 4,000 rounds. All this was straight from the factory. No wonder the original owner sold it!

I found a replacement barrel at Midway USA, but the forcing cone looked like it was routed-out with a dull drill bit. One of the lands looked like a stripped banana peel the entire length of the barrel. That barrel went back to MW for a refund with the message to tell S&W to pound sand.

I am now done with S&W due to their lack of any quality & pride. My 686+ runs great and I hope to eventually find a decent barrel for the 617. Numrich lists them as out-of-stock. S&W quoted $180 for the barrel, $75 for factory installation, plus $30/hour for miscellaneous labor (whatever that is), AND S&W WILL ONLY HONOR THEIR WARRANTY TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER. No wonder they went under (multiple times).

Good thing I have a buddy whose skills with S&W revolvers equals or exceeds those of their Performance Center.

My advice & practice for buying new & used firearms is to take a portable (e.g., Lyman) borescope to inspect the bores before buying.

Lastly, to those with leading issues, get a forcing-cone reamer (Brownells) or a VLD inside-neck deburring tool and lightly take the burr off and add a slight chamfer to the forcing cone.

Last edited by HalfMoA; 10-22-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:23 PM
HalfMoA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$hitty Wesson Customer Service

Quote:
well, we were all wrong... I looked at it with my phone camera at high magnification this morning, and my heart sank...

Attachment 257359

Attachment 257361

Attachment 257363

do you see the problem? Frame is cracked... Wonder if the original owner and the shop I bought it from missed that... Or if the original owner saw it and that's why he traded it in. I paid a lot for this thing so I am not very happy. I really hope S&W replaces this thing. It is only like a 2019 year of manufacture.

I asked for a shipping label, will keep you all informed as to what happens.

Really bummed...
S&W will NOT HONOR warranties to second-hand owners. I tried with a factory $hitty barrel. See my other post above.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:36 PM
HalfMoA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Forcing Cone Burr

Quote:
I have had a Charter arms Target Pathfinder for a few years now, and recently picked up a Harrington and Richardson 930 , 9 shot revolver, but I have always been keeping my eyes open for a couple things... Either a 617 or GP100/SP101 in .22LR that I could afford (haven't been many available lately at all), or a snubnose blued 22LR.

Well, a used 4" 617 showed up in my local shop, and I decided to try and trade in my Target Pathfinder towards the 617. The 4" is more appealing to me than the 6" so it took a lot longer to find one as well...

Went to the shop, got my name on a waiting list (line was 15 deep before they opened), and when my name was called, I went in with the Pathfinder, they looked at it, and offered me $300 for it. I paid $250 for it, so that was a no brainer. The 617 was $799, and used, but not too much from what I could tell- was just dirty. the shop I got it from doesn't typically clean used guns as they sell so fast, they just turn them over.

Anyway, I made the deal, and bought a box of 800 rounds of federal bulk ammo, and went out the door, lighter in the pocket, but fuller in my heart.

This is the condition it was in when I got it home - does the leading indicate a problem with timing, or is it normal? I know 22lr is dirty, but I haven't seen that much leading on a revolver before...

Attachment 246153

Attachment 246155

Attachment 246157

And after I got it cleaned up...

Attachment 246159

Attachment 246161

I have not shot it yet, looking forward to it though!!! Hopefully this weekend. I contacted S&W and it was made February 2020, so it is only a year old- I think it got taken to the range, shot a lot in a couple days, cleaned (poorly) and sat in a safe for 10-11 months and was traded in.

I do not miss the Charter Arms one bit, even though it was a great shooter, the Smith is 10x the gun the Charter Arms was... Now to find a 6 shot blued .22lr snubbie...
You can almost see the burr around the circumference of the forcing cone where the factory failed to chamfer the cone after facing it. This can be easily be accomplished with a VLD inside-the-neck deburring tool (Lyman works well) or a forcing-cone reamer from Brownells. Apply very light pressure and take your time.