Finally picked up a 617!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:39 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Finally picked up a 617!!

I have had a Charter arms Target Pathfinder for a few years now, and recently picked up a Harrington and Richardson 930 , 9 shot revolver, but I have always been keeping my eyes open for a couple things... Either a 617 or GP100/SP101 in .22LR that I could afford (haven't been many available lately at all), or a snubnose blued 22LR.

Well, a used 4" 617 showed up in my local shop, and I decided to try and trade in my Target Pathfinder towards the 617. The 4" is more appealing to me than the 6" so it took a lot longer to find one as well...

Went to the shop, got my name on a waiting list (line was 15 deep before they opened), and when my name was called, I went in with the Pathfinder, they looked at it, and offered me $300 for it. I paid $250 for it, so that was a no brainer. The 617 was $799, and used, but not too much from what I could tell- was just dirty. the shop I got it from doesn't typically clean used guns as they sell so fast, they just turn them over.

Anyway, I made the deal, and bought a box of 800 rounds of federal bulk ammo, and went out the door, lighter in the pocket, but fuller in my heart.

This is the condition it was in when I got it home - does the leading indicate a problem with timing, or is it normal? I know 22lr is dirty, but I haven't seen that much leading on a revolver before...

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

And after I got it cleaned up...

image5.jpeg

image4.jpeg

I have not shot it yet, looking forward to it though!!! Hopefully this weekend. I contacted S&W and it was made February 2020, so it is only a year old- I think it got taken to the range, shot a lot in a couple days, cleaned (poorly) and sat in a safe for 10-11 months and was traded in.

I do not miss the Charter Arms one bit, even though it was a great shooter, the Smith is 10x the gun the Charter Arms was... Now to find a 6 shot blued .22lr snubbie...

Last edited by GT_80; 02-17-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:01 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice pistol . I canít help you with the leading question . It does look like a lot, but youíll know better when you shoot it. It might be possible that someone fired it a lot and didnít clean the forcing cone . I had a 38 that was actually splattering lead back at my face . I thought it was out of time . It turned out to be considerable build up in the forcing cone . I couldnít see it until I got a borescope . .

Once cleaned, ii no longer have the problem . I found a tornado brush in 40 cal and solvent got it out with several treatments .

I have had some lead build up in 22s and a .223 tornado brush fits tight enough to do the job .

Nice find.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:37 PM
Richlit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That cleaned up nicely. I bought one about two years ago. Wish l would have forty years ago. Enjoy yours, l love mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2021, 03:29 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, let me just say that I think you made an excellent choice. I am a big fan of the GP100 revolver, but in .22 lr I just don't think you can beat a 617, JMHO. After a good cleaning, which you have done, and using quality ammo you may not have anymore problems. However, maybe some forcing cone work needs to done by a reputable gunsmith, and from the picture it looks like that may be the case to me.

Last edited by wproct; 02-17-2021 at 05:09 PM. Reason: wrong terminology
Old 02-17-2021, 03:46 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
Nice pistol . I canít help you with the leading question . It does look like a lot, but youíll know better when you shoot it. It might be possible that someone fired it a lot and didnít clean the forcing cone . I had a 38 that was actually splattering lead back at my face . I thought it was out of time . It turned out to be considerable build up in the forcing cone . I couldnít see it until I got a borescope . .

Once cleaned, ii no longer have the problem . I found a tornado brush in 40 cal and solvent got it out with several treatments .

I have had some lead build up in 22s and a .223 tornado brush fits tight enough to do the job .

Nice find.
Thanks, I will put a borelight on it, and see how it looks. I think it looked pretty clean inside. I think they just put a ton of rounds through it, and did a piss poor job cleaning it. Maybe that's why they traded it in. If you shoot a revolver a lot, you will clean it a lot more than a semi in my experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richlit View Post
That cleaned up nicely. I bought one about two years ago. Wish l would have forty years ago. Enjoy yours, l love mine.
Thanks! I have been looking off and on for a year or so. Finally found one, and had the "extra" cash
Old 02-17-2021, 04:38 PM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good choice. I have a Model 617 4 inch 6 shot no dash( first year production). It came with real nice factory installed finger groove wood combat grips. I have owned several 22 revolvers over the years but this one is my favorite. Enjoy!
Old 02-17-2021, 04:54 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Someone here has re-reamed the forcing cone on their 617 and that eliminated the lead spattering. I had some leading early on but it seems to have diminished the more I shoot it.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:38 PM
JB in SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The build up is normal for a revolver that hasnít been properly cleaned. I clean the cylinder and frame every outing to avoid the build up. Of course some ammo is much worse than others, high velocity in most cases will lead faster.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:37 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The 4Ē barrel length Model 617 is my favorite version for field use.

Congratulations and I know you will enjoy it.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:07 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GT 80 - Wow, you did a great job cleaning that up. Care to share your method, tips, tools, or techniques? I know I could use the advice, mine never clean up that well. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:30 PM
Ysrracer1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
%%%%, I don't think mine was that clean from the factory 🙂

How'd you do it?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:13 PM
billy b

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysrracer1 View Post
%%%%, I don't think mine was that clean from the factory 🙂

How'd you do it?
I would like to know too!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 PM
lscocoa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes normal splatter and wow better than new cleaning !
Old 02-19-2021, 12:41 PM
hcaroselli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Model 617 and a Model 63 and they both have the leading issue. Most of the people I asked said it is normal and don't worry. Maybe it is normal but I would like to clean them nonetheless.

1. From what I have learned it seems normal.
2. Add my name to the list of people asking how you cleaned it. It looks amazing.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:07 PM
jimd441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the fantastic cleaning comments - how did you do it?

Jim