Anschutz scope mounting confusion...... LOL - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:21 PM
ap3572001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz scope mounting confusion...... LOL

I have what appears to a year 2000 production MPR . Its has a grooved receiver AND its factory drilled and tapped . Questions: What is it drilled and tapped for? If I want to mount ( and leave there long term ) a 1" 6.5-20x40 Leupold Scope , what is the best option for me to use to mount it? Cost is not being a consideration. Thank You.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
It's d+t'd for....wait for it. .scope bases...like a centerfire rifle uses.
I'd use this type of system over rings that use the grooved receiver. Talley would be a good source for either type of mounting system.

Last edited by Camster; 09-08-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:09 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe you can use either the groves; Talley is a good choice, which I put on my Annie 1502 or use the drilled holes to mount a rail. If you do option #2, I like Warne rings. BTW, Warne also makes some inexpensive yet very solid rimfire rings that mount in the grooves. Warne is cheaper than Talley and just as good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 11:36 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't answer your question as I don't know. What I did with mine was to get a low Weaver base and screwed that on. This allowed me to use any Weaver style rings and scope combo that I want.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:37 PM
pdeal

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I disagree that screwed on bases with rings mounted to them is a superior solution to good fitting dovetail rings.

People tend to gravitate to this solution because this is how it's done on centerfire rifles. The fact that center fire rifles use bolt on bases is mostly historical. Most of the common centerfire action designs predate the common use of scopes so when scopes came along the solution was to drill holes in the action and bolt some bases on.

The reason I think a dovetail mounted scope is the better option (on a rifle with dovetails milled into the receiver) is that dovetails are inherently self aligning. This is why dovetail ways are so common on machine tools- inherent accuracy and alignment. On the other hand there is nothing at all that is precise about bolting bases to a rifle receiver. The clearance holes and counterbores are generally a very loose fit with the screws. When I mount them for example on a Rem 700 I spend lots of time checking them with a very good straight edge in all directions. I also put a blob of steel filled epoxy between the action and base so it stays put. Without the epoxy a good jolt will move the bolted bases.

Also, bolting something to the rifle so you can clamp something to it is not nearly as clean a solution as just clamping to the dovetails that are milled into the action.

Now, there are those that will say that the "grab" of rings to a Weaver style rail (which you have bolted to the rifle with very loose screw/hole dimensions) is better. Last year I made 11mm dovetail bases for my Remington 700 308 that I deer hunt with. I mounted them as I described above. And installed a scope on it with the finest 11mm rings money can buy. Worked perfect. Quite a bit of shooting, no movement.

I would never use bolt on bases on a dovetailed receiver.

Full Disclosure- I think the rings I make are the best money can buy. And of course I am not at all biased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1132.jpg (542.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Rem 700 D3 Ringsa.jpg (516.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by pdeal; 09-09-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:54 PM
watchthewind

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I think Warne bases with Burris Signature Zee rings is the way to go
Old 09-10-2020, 01:04 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
I have what appears to a year 2000 production MPR . Its has a grooved receiver AND its factory drilled and tapped . Questions: What is it drilled and tapped for? If I want to mount ( and leave there long term ) a 1" 6.5-20x40 Leupold Scope , what is the best option for me to use to mount it? Cost is not being a consideration. Thank You.
6-48.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:19 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
The 11 mm rail has been the standard to mount rimfire optics in Germany, the country of origin of the fine Anschütz rifles, for over half a century. On the 54 sporting rifles the 11 mm rail is sufficient to secure a larger scope even on a .222 Remington rifle. I never had any issues with it and 12 mm three-shot groups at 100 meters with my 1432 and 1532 confirmed this for me.

The D&T on Anschütz sporters was added lately and most likely to cater to the export market. IMHO it makes little to no different if a scope is mounted on the 11 mm rail or via D&T and picatinny bases, as long as quality parts are being used.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:55 AM
hickorynut
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
My problem with the 1710/1712/1717 receivers when using higher power scopes was getting the scope back far enough to have correct eye relief. I had to crawl the stock to achieve proper eye relief. Maybe its my eyes, I don't know but I solved this problem when I called Farrells precision in Columbia Mo. He built me rails that extended back past the receiver by about an inch. I'm quite sure he had not done this before as he didn't have the hole spacing for the Anschutz receivers.
Long story short, his work is flawless, my scores soared.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:14 AM
wallyworldmudhen

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
groove or drilled

I have been using the 11 mm grove mounting for a number of years on a number of firearms and find it works well and, as a plus, is easy too.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:35 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
The 11 mm rail has been the standard to mount rimfire optics in Germany, the country of origin of the fine Anschütz rifles, for over half a century. On the 54 sporting rifles the 11 mm rail is sufficient to secure a larger scope even on a .222 Remington rifle. I never had any issues with it and 12 mm three-shot groups at 100 meters with my 1432 and 1532 confirmed this for me.

The D&T on Anschütz sporters was added lately and most likely to cater to the export market. IMHO it makes little to no different if a scope is mounted on the 11 mm rail or via D&T and picatinny bases, as long as quality parts are being used.
Andy is correct, as usual. There's no reason to doubt that the 11mm dovetails are more than solid for mounting optics. The .22LR is a very, very low recoiling caliber. Olympic-style position shooters use them to mount their aperture sights without issue. Even heavy scopes will not be at risk of moving when good quality dovetail rings are used. Additionally, the dovetail grooves and rings offer the ability to move the rings separately to where they are best located on the grooves

The D&T is likely meant to meet the North American fixation for having fixed Weaver or Picatinny-style rings on all rifles, including the light recoiling .22LR.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:51 AM
crm617

TPC Rating: 
75% (1)
If you go the dovetail route which works fine go with Kelbly's dovetail rings. You will find they are the most expensive ring you will find, but also the best for a reason. They are precision machined rings. They clamp perfectly, will not distort the scope tube and/or leave ring marks.

Call talk with Ryan he will be glad to answer any questions you have.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm617 View Post
If you go the dovetail route which works fine go with Kelbly's dovetail rings. You will find they are the most expensive ring you will find, but also the best for a reason. They are precision machined rings. They clamp perfectly, will not distort the scope tube and/or leave ring marks.

If memory serves, I think that I've read here that they can leave marks.(btw, They are not the most expensive of that kind. Check out EAW)

I still prefer bases and rings. The issue with those however, is that aside from S+K and Burris sigs, they can leave marks. Most of them should be lapped and installed with an alignment rod. No groove mount rings will have the beauty of S+K or Conetrol mounts.
I guess I have a bad taste in my mouth from using a clamp on rimfire mount. I had a BKL cantilever mount slide on me, damaging a Finnfire stock. I understand that it is more important with them to go back and forth a few times with tightening the screws, but still, damage was done.

Last edited by Camster; 09-10-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:44 AM
gkn

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
grove: noun. a small wood or forested area, usually with no undergrowth
groove: noun. a long, narrow cut or depression

Use whichever attachment method you choose, but try to spell correctly. Not sure why this bugs me. Sorry.
gkn
Old 09-10-2020, 12:15 PM
ap3572001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm617 View Post

Ok. I think I am set on mounting the scope right on the receiver. In case of MPR rifle and Leupold 6.5-20x40 1" , what height of Kelby's rings will work best?