MkIII 22/45 Magazine disconnect - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:05 PM
omaha-beenglock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MkIII 22/45 Magazine disconnect

Just picked up a 2013 made NIB MkIII 22/45 5.5in Target/Bull for a descent price. Was looking at a Buckmark(Std Model) and a M&P22 Compact but decided to go with what I know and bought the Ruger---still might get the M&P.

Had a spare VQ MkII bushing laying around --so did the swap and now the mags drop free and everything seems to work ok but the bolt is a little sticky from time to time.

So just wondering if I need to shoot it to break it in or did I miss something in regards to the sticky bolt----don't want to shoot it if I did something wrong.

Its been years since I've messed with the internals when I did the swap to my 2009 stainless MkIII but everything is smooth on that gun----any variation between MkIII and 22/45 other than the frame and pins?

Thanks

Last edited by omaha-beenglock; 06-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:15 PM
bubba68
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What do you mean a little sticky now and then? What does it do when it sticks?

How many rounds have you put through the gun so far?
Old 06-15-2019, 03:11 PM
omaha-beenglock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I give it a full force slingshot release it closes right up---anything else and it stops midway.

The gun hasn't been shot yet---I just bought it and did the mod when I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 PM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Bolt probably has some oil or whatever making it go slowly closed. A good cleaning of the pistol innards with Hornady One Shot would help.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:06 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is the Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) in place?

The LCI COULD interfere with free bolt movement. Not necessarily, but it's possible. You can get a filler for the LCI slot if you choose to remove the LCI entirely.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suspect it's the bolt causing the hang up. Try putting your 2009 bolt in and see if it hangs up too. I'll bet it doesn't.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:12 PM
bubba68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha-beenglock View Post
If I give it a full force slingshot release it closes right up---anything else and it stops midway.

The gun hasn't been shot yet---I just bought it and did the mod when I got home.
I would take the bolt out and make sure there are no burrs anywhere on the bolt also check the receiver and make sure no rough spots in there. Put a very light film of oil on the bolt and try shooting the gun and see what happens. If it still gives you problems try what test engineer suggested.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:41 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might want to check the magazine. I just returned 2 Pmags that were doing the same thing. I did not want to adjust the lips and have them say I damaged them. 3-5 jams per mag with 50 rounds each. Had to push the bolt forward.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba68 View Post
I would take the bolt out and make sure there are no burrs anywhere on the bolt also check the receiver and make sure no rough spots in there. Put a very light film of oil on the bolt and try shooting the gun and see what happens. If it still gives you problems try what test engineer suggested.
Add a couple drops of oil to the guide rod and spring too. When new I had to oil mine a lot. After it was broken in it only needed a light oiling.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also

Check that the rear rail screw (if a rail is present) is not sticking too far down. Also check the front of the recoil spring assembly to see if it is above the surface of the bolt.

Last edited by stewswanson; 06-16-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-16-2019, 09:19 PM
omaha-beenglock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took it out today and put about 100 rounds through it--very first round was a dud(are you kidding me???)----waited a bit and jacked the shell out and all the rest ran perfectly.

Sights were pretty much dead on and it was pretty accurate---still need to try Mini-mags----everything started to smooth up after a few mags but when I got home playing with it the bolt still sticks---just to test it, I stuck a punch in and pushed on the LCI and the bolt snapped shut---so I'm thinking that's the problem.

I'll pull the LCI out after I get something to eat.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:59 PM
bubba68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha-beenglock View Post

Sights were pretty much dead on and it was pretty accurate---still need to try Mini-mags----everything started to smooth up after a few mags but when I got home playing with it the bolt still sticks---just to test it, I stuck a punch in and pushed on the LCI and the bolt snapped shut---so I'm thinking that's the problem.

I'll pull the LCI out after I get something to eat.

Thanks for all the help.
Good luck getting the LCI out. Some come out pretty easy some are a PIA to get out. Several threads on getting it out if you need help. I took mine out but it did not come out without a fight.