Essential 10/22 Mods (Kidd)?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:33 AM
e1911

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Essential 10/22 Mods (Kidd)??

I'm buying the new 10/22 takedown with target barrel and would appreciate your thoughts on what are the bare essential upgrades for the rifle? I read good things about the Kidd stuff so I may go that route.

The essentials would be appreciated so I can order and have them here when the rifle comes.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:40 AM
ADlBOO
US Coast Guard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ADlBOO
Essential to one person is unnecessary to the next. Depends on what you want. There's a ton of info already here, take some time and read.

If I was building a take down, small scope or red dot, do some trigger work and that's about it.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 AM
e1911

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks. Been reading but it's a bit overwhelming the amount of info and options. I think I'll do a red dot, trigger (kidd?) and the bolt release mods. Should I think about the extractor and other internals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first thing you should do is get a trigger!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've built some high end 10/22's and have a KIDD trigger on one of them. That said, KIDD is top shelf and I don't think anything they make would be considered "bare essential" unless you're building for absolute gilt-edged accuracy. There's plenty of good stuff available that will do the job but won't cost KIDD money. A $40 Volquartsen target hammer may be all you really need. I bought the Power Custom innards for my takedown because I have them in my other guns and like the way they work. Particularly the bolt and magazine releases.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:27 PM
mitchd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a new takedown a month ago. My to do list was
1: send the trigger to Brimstone for tier 2,means a R/T trigger with overtravel stop among other things. The price of the trigger and spring kit alone makes this a no brainer, I don't think you can get a better deal
2: BSA 3X12 sweet 22 scope with quick disconnect rings(my own preference)
3: pin the firing pin, chamfer the bolt, deburr the receiver. You may want to send the bolt to someone like CPC, see my post under boo boos.
4: buy a Hogue thumbhole stock
5: run a lot of rounds thru it
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM
GARLANDSEPT

Just North of Orlando, Pittsburgh in my heart
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADlBOO View Post
Essential to one person is unnecessary to the next. Depends on what you want. There's a ton of info already here, take some time and read.

If I was building a take down, small scope or red dot, do some trigger work and that's about it.
+1 Yep, ADIBOO nailed it! KIDD single stage will do nicely.

Not essential but I might put some Skinner Take-Down sights on it for the hoot of using irons, and buy a lot of ammo and have a lot of fun!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Bucs76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd single stage trigger was my first add on as well. If not the trigger assembly ensure you replace the stock bolt release mechanism. Other eSy and inexpensive items to replace are the bolt buffer and small charging handle, IMO.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:07 PM
cwlongshot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink

I suggest you shoot it... allot.

You have the rifle, nowLearn how to do shoot it. Not only will you be better off as your building a foundation you can appreciate the changes you eventually make.

Know that triggers and parts dont make the shooter.

Also know that the TD's tend to move in the middle, dont "torque" them. LEARN by shooting why and how things do what they do and in the long run you will be far better off.

WHEN you do make upgrades, a drop in trigger is a good easy mod. I also will always do a auto bolt release, Wolffe spring kit along with a Kidd extractor and springs. Then shoot them ALLOT MORE!

CW
Old 04-04-2016, 09:51 PM
NtelligentDonkey

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARLANDSEPT View Post
+1 Yep, ADIBOO nailed it! KIDD single stage will do nicely.

Not essential but I might put some Skinner Take-Down sights on it for the hoot of using irons, and buy a lot of ammo and have a lot of fun!
I don't think the Skinner Take-Down sights won't work on the Takedown Target model (21133) that he's getting.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 AM
GARLANDSEPT

Just North of Orlando, Pittsburgh in my heart
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Yep you're correct, Skinners won't go on a target! My bad, good thing they aren't essential, eh?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Tsb3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No need to spend big money on a KIDD trigger. Just send yours off to Brimstone! That is money wisely spent.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 PM
beallj
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mags, ammo and shoot. Clean the thing a few times and study how it works.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 AM
rugerguy211

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beallj View Post
Mags, ammo and shoot. Clean the thing a few times and study how it works.
A scope, if you want. Depends on what your intent is with the rifle.
A new trigger? Sure, if you are shooting in competitions or maybe hunting with the rifle. For fun shooting I'll repeat the first sentence in the quote above.