Ruger American Rifle in .22 Hornet - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-19-2021, 01:46 AM
PaPow

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
247
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
Well if they ever do decide to build it, i hope they have a magazine for the Hornet that works far better than what CZ is throwing out there at us. I just bought another CZ527 22 Hornet magazine brand new today, and its worse than the one that came with my gun brand new. No matter what you do, it wont feed from the magazine just like the original one didnt. Guess i`ll have to fix CZ`s screw-up`s again with this new mag too.

Come on Ruger, we know you can build a American Hornet, gitter done! My guess is if they do, they will use the rotary mag from the 77/22. To bad the rotary mag limits your OAL though.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2021, 05:12 AM
DRS's Avatar
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
Backwoods Of Kentucky
Posts: 
2,543
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Well if they ever do decide to build it, i hope they have a magazine for the Hornet that works far better than what CZ is throwing out there at us. I just bought another CZ527 22 Hornet magazine brand new today, and its worse than the one that came with my gun brand new. No matter what you do, it wont feed from the magazine just like the original one didnt. Guess i`ll have to fix CZ`s screw-up`s again with this new mag too.

Come on Ruger, we know you can build a American Hornet, gitter done! My guess is if they do, they will use the rotary mag from the 77/22. To bad the rotary mag limits your OAL though.
I agree with you, PaPow, concerning CZ's magazine type they have on their 527 series rifles. Looks like they would have made the 527's magazine flush with the stock, like other manufactures did with theirs. For one thing the protruding CZ magazine is a pain when shooting from the bench. I like Ruger's rotary Hornet magazine holding 6 rounds and is flush with the stock. As for OAL of the magazine, I only use Hornet type bullets, which work find as feeding is concerned. I once owned a pre '64 Winchester model 70 in .22 Hornet, and it's magazine, being like for a larger cartridge, was a real pain. That tiny magazine follower and spring was always a pain when removing cartridges form the magazine. The .22 Hornet was really made for using a detachable magazine. I hope Ruger brings out their American series chambered for the .22 Hornet soon, and maybe they will whenever this pandemic is over and panic buying ends.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2021, 05:19 AM
DRS's Avatar
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
Backwoods Of Kentucky
Posts: 
2,543
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Yeh, I think you don't really understand the centerfire american action and the rimfire are two different animals. They may share some common style features and maybe a few of the smaller parts but the actions are very different. The 223 is WAY longer than a 22 hornet. The 223 is a "rimless" cartridge and the 22 hornet rimmed. It would take a lot of changes to try to fit the hornet in the short centerfire rifle action and then you have a way oversized hornet defeating the purpose of the hornet to be a lot of power in a small package. You would have to build a special intermediate action and magazine to handle the hornet like Ruger did with the 77 series. Why don't you buy a CZ 527 or Ruger 77 series if you want a hornet? Do you expect it to be as cheap as the 22 LR American?
I already own one of Ruger's Model 77/.22 Hornet. I did own a CZ M-527 several years ago but didn't like the protruding magazine. I've own several .22 Hornet rifles over the years like: Winchester M-70, in .22 Hornet , Sako M-78, Savage M-340, and a Kimber M-82.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-19-2021, 06:30 AM
DRS's Avatar
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
Backwoods Of Kentucky
Posts: 
2,543
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photo of my Ruger 77/.22 Hornet rifle. Several years ago I sent my rifle to Williams Gun Site Co. and had them install open sights on my rifle.

bQAxb1b.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-21-2021, 01:22 PM
PaPow

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
247
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Photo of my Ruger 77/.22 Hornet rifle. Several years ago I sent my rifle to Williams Gun Site Co. and had them install open sights on my rifle.

Attachment 273539
THAT gun is BEAUTIFUL! Sure wishing Ruger was still making this exact rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-21-2021, 01:26 PM
PaPow

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
247
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I agree with you, PaPow, concerning CZ's magazine type they have on their 527 series rifles. Looks like they would have made the 527's magazine flush with the stock, like other manufactures did with theirs. For one thing the protruding CZ magazine is a pain when shooting from the bench. I like Ruger's rotary Hornet magazine holding 6 rounds and is flush with the stock. As for OAL of the magazine, I only use Hornet type bullets, which work find as feeding is concerned. I once owned a pre '64 Winchester model 70 in .22 Hornet, and it's magazine, being like for a larger cartridge, was a real pain. That tiny magazine follower and spring was always a pain when removing cartridges form the magazine. The .22 Hornet was really made for using a detachable magazine. I hope Ruger brings out their American series chambered for the .22 Hornet soon, and maybe they will whenever this pandemic is over and panic buying ends.
I also agree with everything you said as well.

If Ruger DOES make an American in 22-Hornet, i will surely have to consider one.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-21-2021, 01:42 PM
mmsb27 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2005
Posts: 
295
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DRS. Nice rifle!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-21-2021, 07:53 PM
22RifleNut

Join Date: 
Jul 2016
Posts: 
42
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently bought a Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet. A wonderful rifle. As another poster stated, the ammo is rare and has become quite expensive and I, unfortunately, am not a reloader. I would love to see Ruger build a #1 in 22LR.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-22-2021, 05:18 AM
DRS's Avatar
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
Backwoods Of Kentucky
Posts: 
2,543
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
THAT gun is BEAUTIFUL! Sure wishing Ruger was still making this exact rifle.
Thank you! For some reason I look upon Ruger's 77/.22 Hornet as sort of a modern up-grade of Winchester's Model 43 bolt action rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-22-2021, 10:53 AM
jjjjcorn

Join Date: 
Nov 2020
Posts: 
157
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a SS, walnut stocked 77-22H. One of the reasons I went with Ruger is the magazine. I have 4 Ruger 22s and a 17hmr. I like being able to use the magazine in any Ruger (same cal). That's from one I bought in the be 60's to last year's.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-22-2021, 07:56 PM
jjjjcorn

Join Date: 
Nov 2020
Posts: 
157
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe one in Ruger Precision??
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-22-2021, 09:57 PM
Deathrowdave's Avatar
Deathrowdave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
NKy the south side of the Mason Dixon
Posts: 
258
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hornet

I have a Savage Model 25 . I tossed the plastic stock , bedded a Boydís walnut stock , itís one of if not my most favorite rifle . I love the Hornet round , itís perfect for small game out to 150 yards .
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-22-2021, 09:59 PM
mmsb27 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2005
Posts: 
295
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornets are just enjoyable to shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-23-2021, 12:51 AM
comfisherman's Avatar
comfisherman is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2004
Location: 
Somewhere in AK
Posts: 
2,797
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I'll be happy if ruger resumes production of the 77 series hornet, they show up very rarely in ss on gunbroker and last one the dealer wouldn't ship to old 49. Grandads 340 is just a wall hanger due to throat and bore corrosion, but a modern one would be great. My quiver is currently a bit barren between 17 wsm and 270 wsm.... and needs something easier on pelts but with just a smidgen more oomph.

Might need a hornet or 204.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-23-2021, 05:29 AM
DRS's Avatar
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
Backwoods Of Kentucky
Posts: 
2,543
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrowdave View Post
I have a Savage Model 25 . I tossed the plastic stock , bedded a Boydís walnut stock , itís one of if not my most favorite rifle . I love the Hornet round , itís perfect for small game out to 150 yards .
I have used my .22 Hornet rifles for hunting Fox Squirrels in Southern Indiana, where it's legal to hunt Squirrels with a center fire rifle. My load: 7.0 grains/ SR-4759/ 50 grain Hi-velocity bullet/ loaded-up in Remington brass. Velocity = 1,500 FPS and this load is far less destructive than a regular .22 LR Hollow Point. The rate-of-twist on your Hornet rifles should be 1-in-14" but if yours is a 1-in-16" twist just use Hi-velocity 40 - 45 grain bullets.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x