Anyone else have a A54 frame Standard that only accepts the original mags? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:20 AM
Southpaw62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Anyone else have a A54 frame Standard that only accepts the original mags?

Hi Guys, just curious if anyone else has a A54 frame Standard that only accepts the original mags?

My 1970 A54 frame accepts the original chrome bottomed one sided button mags really slick, the go right in and actually eject about a 1/2 inch. I have 2 and they both are smooth.

I have tried a chrome bottomed original MKII two sided button mag and it will not fully seat buy about 1/4 inch

I have tried the plastic silver bottomed 9 round Ruger replacement mag and it will go in with a little effort and come back out with about the same effort.

I have tried the Mecgar mags with the two sided buttons and it will not fully seat buy about 1/4 inch.

It's not my magazine catch that holds them up or the mag buttons.

I have stripped the mags down to just the body, and stripped the pistol down completely and I think the mags maybe getting hung up on the upper receiver were the small metal strip that has (the bolt guide?) riveted to it. The rivet seems a little loose an the metal around seems a little scratched up (see pics)

Anyone else have a similar situation with their A54?

Thanks, S.Paw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1038.jpg (76.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1041.jpg (189.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-23-2021, 03:08 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's normal for the top/rear of the mags to slide against the front of that receiver cross bar. Maybe the original mags have a slight radius or slope that allow them to not catch on the cross bar?

Anyway, your cross bar seems to be fairly squared off compared to later models. You may want to consider adding a small radius to allow newer mags to pass without snagging.

Here's one of my MKII/MKIII cross bars. I smoothed up the face for smoother insertion/removal, but I didn't have to add any radius. It's just not as squared off as yours. Maybe Ruger changed the geometry when they started making MKII mags.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:45 AM
belairbrian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two A54 frames (1958 and 1968) and both will accept every mag from a chrome bottom A54 only (non reversable button) up through a MK III/IV.

Looking at your pictures and reading your comment about the ejector being loose, that is probably the issue. The ejector should not extend past the cross strap of the receiver.

It also looks like the rivet has been ground off and replaced so the ejector may not have been positioned correctly or wasn't fully tight allowing movement and wear.

Last edited by belairbrian; 10-23-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2021, 10:49 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw62 View Post
I have tried a chrome bottomed original MKII two sided button mag and it will not fully seat buy about 1/4 inch
This actually sounds like a RST/Mark I-A100 magazine. I am not aware of any Mark II pistols with the pot-metal base.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:33 AM
belairbrian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
This actually sounds like a RST/Mark I-A100 magazine. I am not aware of any Mark II pistols with the pot-metal base.
True.
That said, either version of the chrome bottom mags should function fine in an A54 frame. I have one of each version and both work in both A54s.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:14 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by belairbrian
Looking at your pictures and reading your comment about the ejector being loose, that is probably the issue. The ejector should not extend past the cross strap of the receiver.

It also looks like the rivet has been ground off and replaced so the ejector may not have been positioned correctly or wasn't fully tight allowing movement and wear.
The ejector rivet was drilled out instead of ground off, and a real bubba job at that.

We agree that the frame is not the problem, unless the upper fits loose and can shift forward when assembled. Either way, I concur that fixing the ejector should be the first priority. A loose ejector will cause FTE problems, even if all mags insert and feed fine.

A Tactical Solutions ejector is the best bet, but it may need a different assembly screw because of the bubba'd cross bar.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:14 PM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Yeah the ejector definitely sticks out farther then the frame and wiggles a little. The upper fits tight to the lower with zero play.

Unfortunately there are not many good smiths in my area. I'm confident in my abilities but it it's already been bubbafied I don't want to make it worse.

What do you all think, should I send it back to Ruger for a fix at this point?

Thanks, S.Paw
Old 10-23-2021, 08:10 PM
belairbrian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think any competent machine shop can remove that rivet and then the ejector will just fall away.

Then install A Tactical Solutions ejector as Test_engineer suggested. uses ascrew in place of the rivet.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:20 PM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by belairbrian View Post
I think any competent machine shop can remove that rivet and then the ejector will just fall away.

Then install A Tactical Solutions ejector as Test_engineer suggested. uses ascrew in place of the rivet.
That's a smart little after market ejector with the screw instead of a rivet.

After looking closer at my ejector, I am confident I can drill the old rivet out and replace it with a Tactical Solutions one. It looks to me like the original ejector as it still has the bluing on the rivet. I think my bad pics just make it look kinda ugly.

Thanks, S.Paw
Old 11-27-2021, 01:04 PM
tangeant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I have found with mine the original mags extract easy but....

New Production MkI Ruger mags with MKII style body and base the mag catch snags the gap between plastic base and steel mag body so you have to hold mag catch open till it passes the gap.

With target grips that extend past grip base it can be difficult to hold the mag catch open to get these mags out.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:45 PM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
You might try grinding the rivet off rather than drilling! If ground flush then, punch the rivet out, this would prevent any further damage to the mounting hole, if there is any!!