Low power for squirrels - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-12-2021, 08:14 AM
rc.

Join Date: 
Feb 2003
Location: 
ca
Posts: 
4,829
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
I think it all depends on the distances that you need to cover. I know for me a BB cap would not reliably make a 50 yard shot because CBs suck at that distance bouncing off the ground unless you sight in specifically for them. I take a few ground squirrels at under 30 feet from time to time but the vast majority of the time they won't let you get within 25 yards in open country. In England they are a pretty crowded country in most places so backyard pest shooting in the garden must be more common. There is also a huge difference between tree squirrel, ground squirrel and rabbit behavior in terms of how close you can get. One thing is for sure, if you have a reliable and accurate 12 fpe pellet gun, you probably have a better hunting rig at 25 yards than a Flobert powered 22. The groups of a round ball fired from a 22LR chamber must get rather large rather quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-13-2021, 02:11 AM
Phil in Alabama's Avatar
Phil in Alabama

Join Date: 
Apr 2002
Location: 
world of pain
Posts: 
7,475
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've never used any of those cap cartridges, but I have hunted and shot quite a few squirrels with springer air rifles that were in the 12 to 14 ft. Lb. energy range. They'll work.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-13-2021, 01:00 PM
lostpocketknife

Join Date: 
Sep 2021
Posts: 
19
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
do it yourself meat gathering

The squirrel venture was entirely agreeable.
I am now in search of a free range chicken.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2021, 09:54 PM
sixgunluvr

Join Date: 
Jul 2004
Posts: 
251
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A few squirrels later and running low on the Flobert CB Caps. I’m gonna save 25 of them just to say I have some.
On to the next round I want to try in my ‘just enough’ ammo lineup. The Remington CBee 33gr truncated HP @740 FPS. Not easy to find but I happen to have 200 Rds which should last me several seasons.
I am familiar with the same round at hyper velocity commonly known as the yellow jacket on squirrels…very destructive. I’m curious how the same bullet operates at lower velocity.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-22-2021, 10:35 PM
Phil in Alabama's Avatar
Phil in Alabama

Join Date: 
Apr 2002
Location: 
world of pain
Posts: 
7,475
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
The CeeBees are segmented whereas the Yellowjacket aren't, so I would expect good terminal performance. I tested some of those when they first came out. The first box was great. I bought two more which were sprayers and no more.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-23-2021, 02:46 AM
JJB

Join Date: 
Aug 2004
Posts: 
1,573
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know this isn't the air rifle forum but I was hunting squirrels why wouldn't a rws model 34 at 1000 fps work on the tree rats?






jjb
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-23-2021, 08:10 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
5,224
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been reading this with interest. My choice for decades has been the 22mag for grey squirrel. I am impressed with what others can do with this low power ammo. I am not a 223 kind of guy for deer either. I plan to try the 450 BM this year. I am pretty big on overkill and dropping game rather than worry about excess damage. I want damage - big time. Quick kills and no lost wounded. Kudos for those with the skills. The red squirrels are smaller and I cannot dispute the obvious success the OP has shown. I am trying hard not to be a jerk or miss understood. I like overkill, not saying that is some moral imperative or better than a good skill set.

I did use a 22 pellet gun on squirrel and while I expect many did eventually die, very few were ever recovered. I do know the air guns have come a long way. I was making random body shots. I was not very good.

I was also going to ask why? Then I remembered I was using the 22 pellet gun within city limits and still high school age. You make do with what you can given where you are at.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-23-2021, 01:56 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
yankeeville, Yooperland
Posts: 
1,019,039
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
I know this isn't the air rifle forum but I was hunting squirrels why wouldn't a rws model 34 at 1000 fps work on the tree rats?
jjb
It works fine with pellets 'it likes' but shot placement is the key. Mine shot very well with Crossman Premiers @ a little over 900fps..
__________________
You carry a gun so you are hard to kill... know the law so you are hard to convict.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-23-2021, 02:22 PM
Phil in Alabama's Avatar
Phil in Alabama

Join Date: 
Apr 2002
Location: 
world of pain
Posts: 
7,475
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I killed quite a few squirrels with Webley and Weihrauch springers in the 1980's and 1990's. It's best to get within 25 yards and aim for head shots, but it can be done. Works very well in places where quietness and safety are major concerns.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-27-2021, 11:07 PM
sixgunluvr

Join Date: 
Jul 2004
Posts: 
251
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the responses all. I myself admit using BB/CB caps aren’t the most ethical idea for general shot situations on squirrels.
I normally use hi-speed hollow points but wanted something more quiet so……….
now on to something that is more accurate and a better one shot stopper. I have 3 choices I have narrowed it down to with noise reduction still in mind.
Remington CBee. 33gr HP
CCI Quiet Segmented 40gr HP
CCI Short 29gr Hp

A perfect 20 yd lung/heart shot on a nice fox squirrel was my last kill….it resulted in him running all the way down a very tall hickory then down over the hill and under a log before I retrieved him. I’m sure all three of the above rounds would have made shorter work of the situation.

Anyone have any reason to pick one over the other?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-31-2021, 07:13 PM
JB in SC

Join Date: 
Mar 2002
Location: 
Upstate
Posts: 
2,705
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No telling how many of those I shot as a kid, they were packaged in a round container but don't recall the brand. I used both BB and CB type in copper cases. Worked ok for squirrels at closer ranges like 10 yards and were no louder than a BB gun. I haven't seen any in quite a few years but have a couple of tins somewhere.

Last edited by JB in SC; 10-31-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-31-2021, 07:17 PM
JB in SC

Join Date: 
Mar 2002
Location: 
Upstate
Posts: 
2,705
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgunluvr View Post
Thanks for the responses all. I myself admit using BB/CB caps aren’t the most ethical idea for general shot situations on squirrels.
I normally use hi-speed hollow points but wanted something more quiet so……….
now on to something that is more accurate and a better one shot stopper. I have 3 choices I have narrowed it down to with noise reduction still in mind.
Remington CBee. 33gr HP
CCI Quiet Segmented 40gr HP
CCI Short 29gr Hp

A perfect 20 yd lung/heart shot on a nice fox squirrel was my last kill….it resulted in him running all the way down a very tall hickory then down over the hill and under a log before I retrieved him. I’m sure all three of the above rounds would have made shorter work of the situation.

Anyone have any reason to pick one over the other?

I like the CB Longs by CCI or WW (if you can find them) made in Australia. No issues at all and they are more accurate than the Quiets.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-11-2021, 11:12 PM
Bloodhound's Avatar
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2005
Location: 
The Big "D" Colorado
Posts: 
2,560
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice Rifle...fun ammo
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-12-2021, 10:29 AM
Old Hickory

Join Date: 
Feb 2004
Location: 
Burlington, Iowa
Posts: 
8,755
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I have been reading this with interest. My choice for decades has been the 22mag for grey squirrel. I am impressed with what others can do with this low power ammo. I am not a 223 kind of guy for deer either. I plan to try the 450 BM this year. I am pretty big on overkill and dropping game rather than worry about excess damage. I want damage - big time. Quick kills and no lost wounded. Kudos for those with the skills. The red squirrels are smaller and I cannot dispute the obvious success the OP has shown. I am trying hard not to be a jerk or miss understood. I like overkill, not saying that is some moral imperative or better than a good skill set.

I did use a 22 pellet gun on squirrel and while I expect many did eventually die, very few were ever recovered. I do know the air guns have come a long way. I was making random body shots. I was not very good.

I was also going to ask why? Then I remembered I was using the 22 pellet gun within city limits and still high school age. You make do with what you can given where you are at.
Having plenty of killing power is why I use my .17 WSM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-12-2021, 10:40 PM
sixgunluvr

Join Date: 
Jul 2004
Posts: 
251
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny14 View Post
I prefer using bow and arrow when hunting
Same here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C90673A-CBE7-4DFE-A0D3-BA2CDB582BE3_1636774783221.jpg (250.2 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x