BX Trigger - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:52 AM
DaveZ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My local gunshop has a selection of Ruger parts on hand, BX Triggers, 10, 15, and 25 round magazines as well as aftermarket parts, Magpul stocks, etc. They don't usually discount those as to make a sliim profit, which I don't have a problem with.
The last couple of triggers that I got were from the Ruger Shop where I got a 20% discount when registering a new purchase Ruger. With the red triggers, I usually change out the magazine release with an extended red release lever and a red charging handle.
I guess my old hot rod days have never changed but now I don't use as much chrome?
Old 10-22-2021, 10:01 PM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What I have, modified by Bristone is not a BX Trigger, correct? Images I have seen of BX Triggers have shown a two two color trigger assembly, excepting the trigger itself.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 10:18 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Yours, in the pics , is a regular oem trigger with either a tier 2 or a tier 3 brimstone ( unlikely) trigger job. Polished and modified internals, a anodized trigger blade, red, a trigger mounted rebound return spring, and an overtravel screw stop. And yes i saw the little brimstone thingy, maybe mine do have it, its too small for me to notice

The easiest way to identify a bx trigger is that the hammer has a tail.

I have afew of these, and they are excellent. I honestly cant tell if im shooting a brimstone bx or a brimstone tier 2, unless Iím shooting them together.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:25 PM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Yours, in the pics , is a regular oem trigger with either a tier 2 or a tier 3 brimstone ( unlikely) trigger job. Polished and modified internals, a anodized trigger blade, red, a trigger mounted rebound return spring, and an overtravel screw stop. And yes i saw the little brimstone thingy, maybe mine do have it, its too small for me to notice

The easiest way to identify a bx trigger is that the hammer has a tail.

I have afew of these, and they are excellent. I honestly cant tell if im shooting a brimstone bx or a brimstone tier 2, unless Iím shooting them together.
I am going to have to look at the Brimstone site to see if I can ascertain if this is a tier 2 or 3. I have been looking at Kidd Triggers, but I am wondering at the return I might get, for my money, as this is a really great trigger. I am wondering if the difference between this and a Kidd is slight, or not.

Danny

Old 10-22-2021, 10:33 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Tier 2 and 3 look the same, they just do more wirk on the 3. More expensive.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:37 PM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Tier 2 and 3 look the same, they just do more wirk on the 3. More expensive.
So, there is maybe no way to tell the two apart by looking at an example that you have in your hand? You would only be able to tell by looking at a receipt detailing charges for their work on a receipt supplied with the trigger?

Danny

Old 10-22-2021, 10:45 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_gunner View Post
So, there is maybe no way to tell the two apart by looking at an example that you have in your hand? You would only be able to tell by looking at a receipt detailing charges for their work on a receipt supplied with the trigger?

Danny

Thats my understanding, i have never bought a tier 3 , but im the guy who didnt see brimstone on the side of the housing

Also you might look at this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pA8r_DO3xxSCQV
Old 10-22-2021, 11:45 PM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Thats my understanding, i have never bought a tier 3 , but im the guy who didnt see brimstone on the side of the housing

Also you might look at this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pA8r_DO3xxSCQV
Ok. I have just looked at the hammer in my unit, and according to the images I have seen, the hammer is not a BX. The other parts in the images, I can't tell.

Danny

Old 10-23-2021, 02:12 AM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I seem, as a new again 10/22 user, been confused. I have a lot more figured out now. I was confused about the BX Trigger. I thought, based on some BX Triggers I saw, new in the package, that BX Trigger Assemblies were two colored. Evidently, this grey thing I saw is something used while in the package, not part of the BX Trigger. I might have even read that it is to allow dry-fire while in the package. This leads me to think that the trigger housings for the BX and new polymer triggers look, or are the same. What I now understand is that the way to discern between a stock polymer trigger group and BX Trigger Group is by the hammer, and maybe the trigger installed, basically shown in the link provided in this thread, OR , in later examples by a Red Trigger Lever. Is this correct?

In watching the Brimstone Trigger videos, I have figured out how to discern between the Tier 1 and Tier 2 trigger jobs. The Tier 1 job has a setscrew installed somewhere in the face of the trigger to adjust out slop in the first movements of trigger pull. Tier 2 does not have this.

Danny

Old 10-23-2021, 04:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
That roll pin isn't on either of my "original" or BX trigger groups.

They are also indistinguishable in any way, from any direction, other than the red trigger blade. Specifically referring to comments above about a "tail" on the hammer.

Edited to add: there is an over-travel set-screw on my CPC'd "OEM" trigger group. You can spot it in my earlier pic. I have yet to shoot it, shame on me. Was waiting for my daughter to come home from military training. Want to take all three I have to compare.

Last edited by eflyguy; 10-23-2021 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CPC'd top left.

I don't think I ever even fired the bottom one, as I already had the BX when I bought the rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9144 2.jpg (346.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-23-2021, 07:02 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The grey thing is just a piece of plasic packaging used to allow the pulling of the trigger and release of the hammer when the trigger group isnt in the receiver without damaging the hammer etc.

The regular and bx trigger bodies are the same ,, the pins and the holes are the same the safety and detent are the same h bolt release is the same the hammer spring is the same, the trigger return spring and detent are the same. The hammer the sear the disconnector the disconnector spring and the trigger blade are different on the bx.

Besides polishing the contact areas , hammer and sear, disconnector and hammer and sear , a basic trigger job , brimstone stone alters the anglesat the contact points and changes the amount of contact , puts in a lighter disconnector spring and trigger
Return spring on on a tier 1 job. , on a tier 2 /3 job they toss the the the oem return spring and detent, and the trigger blade and replace the blade with a metal trigger blade and a return spring mounted on the pivot pin of the trigger blade, drill a hole in the housing on the side and put in a pin to capture that spring to give it tension. They also drill a hole in the back of the housing to put in an over travel screw stop.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:52 AM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
That roll pin isn't on either of my "original" or BX trigger groups.

They are also indistinguishable in any way, from any direction, other than the red trigger blade. Specifically referring to comments above about a "tail" on the hammer.

Edited to add: there is an over-travel set-screw on my CPC'd "OEM" trigger group. You can spot it in my earlier pic. I have yet to shoot it, shame on me. Was waiting for my daughter to come home from military training. Want to take all three I have to compare.
That, which you point out, that looks like a roll pin, is, as far as I can remember, is actually a modified set screw, but you really can't tell from the image. I was putting the rifle together really late last night, so things are starting to get blurry on what was there. Brimstone talks about this in one of their videos. It is for either the hammer, or the trigger, for the new type of spring that they use. It sticks inside just a bit like a ledge for the spring ledge. I suspect it is now more likely for the trigger, because, if I remember correctly, they talk about taking out the OEM Trigger Return Spring and drilling and tapping the hole for an overtravel setscrew.

In the video, they start talking about takeup, and tuning it out in the Tier 1 tuneups, maybe calling it a two stage trigger. I am not sure if it is really a true two stage trigger, as I shoot a lot of two stage triggers and I never associated this trigger with two stage operation. Maybe someone knows and can state whether the stock Ruger trigger is a single or two stage trigger.

I am looking at a second trigger. Right now, if I were to get one, if I wanted a single stage trigger, I might just go with the Brimstone Tier1. If I wanted a two stage, which is what I would likely want, I would probably get a Kidd.

Danny

Last edited by gas_gunner; 10-23-2021 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
That, which you point out, that looks like a roll pin, is, as far as I can remember, is actually a modified set screw, but you really can't tell from the image.
Ah, yes - I can see that now.

It's been said a CPC-modified OEM is a bit better than the BX. If that turns out to be the case when I finally shoot it, I'll be sending our BX in to Brimstone.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:39 PM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The best thing about having this Brimstome modified trigger in this rifle is a feature for bolt closure. I don't know if it is called "auto close", or something else. What it is, is a feature that allows you to pull the charging handle back and then the bolt releases and goes forward without you manipulating the bolt lock. I am not the guy that is into lazy automatic convenience features, either, so I think that says a lot about this mod. It allows the 10/22 to operate like an M1AM14 does when an installed magazine is in place. Right now, in thinking about it, I can see less than 0 reasons why the 10/22 should have been designed to operate in a manner where you have to manipulate the bolt lock on loading. Anyone know of a reason that Ruger might have done that?

Danny

Last edited by gas_gunner; 10-25-2021 at 11:32 AM.