MkII international tuner - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:51 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
MkII international tuner

Does anyone have a tuner on a original barrel. I would like anything you can help me with. I would like a good starting place. Thanks

Last edited by thesandman; 07-28-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:14 AM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No one has a tuner on a mkII?
Old 07-30-2021, 07:42 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
Does anyone have a tuner on a original barrel. I would like anything you can help me with. I would like a good starting place. Thanks
Sandy, How does it shoot without a tuner? this will give the best indication as to where to start.
if it groups with very little vertical then your setting range will be or should be under 125, probably under 100. if it has a lot of vertical then you will be further out on the setting.
your best bet is to start with the tuner turned all the way in even if it is past zero. then only use 5-clicks out at a time and shoot 3-shot groups, if the first 2-shots don't touch no need to shoot the 3rd, just move on to the next setting. using this method will ensure you don't by-past a good setting, as 5-clciks is narrow enough to show a difference between a setting.

Lee
P.S In my experience very heavy profile barrels need less weight for tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2021, 04:59 PM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well I shot it in 100 egg shoot and got 98. 50 on first day and the two misses were me on Sunday. I got beat up pretty bad in shoot off, tied for last of 4 others. But I think I had the oldest gun there. Need a tuner setting.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:04 PM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks Lee; I'm getting vertical but ammo has 40 plus fps so at 100 you can imagine what it looks like. Went to Lapua test ctr East and got some pretty good ammo. Gun is 68years old and still hanging with the BIG dawgs. I tried the purdy formula again and no sugar. J&L tuner with large extension or med extension and short tube. Went to 250 from bottom. $150 of Midas+.

Last edited by thesandman; 08-01-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:41 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Thanks Lee; I'm getting vertical but ammo has 40 plus fps so at 100 you can imagine what it looks like. Went to Lapua test ctr East and got some pretty good ammo. Gun is 68years old and still hanging with the BIG dawgs. I tried the purdy formula again and no sugar. J&L tuner with large extension or med extension and short tube. Went to 250 from bottom. $150 of Midas+.
Sandy, Try the J & L with no weight. turn it all the way in and start at 5-marks at a time going out. shoot only 3-shots and if the first 2 don't touch skip the 3rd and go on to the next setting.
I have a 1413 Anschutz with a J & L that I turned down and now weighs only 3.99 oz.
it shoots really great at zero so I know I need to take off another 1/4-1/2 oz so I have some wiggle room to go further out. most heavy stiff barrels need much less weight on the muzzle. most will shoot with very little vertical so there is no need to slap on 8+ oz. of weight.

Lee
Old 10-22-2021, 09:15 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
No one has a tuner on a mkII?
I might be wrong here. But I believe the down fall of a tuner on a mkII would be the fact that the forearm is screwed directly to the barrel. If you had a mkIII or later the forearm is connected to the receiver and the barrel free floats.

Think about all the variably by holding/resting the forearm on the mkii, you are pretty much just holding/resting the barrel itself.

I believe in order to get maximum use of a tuner the barrel needs to fully float and action bedded nice and solid.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker4life View Post
I might be wrong here. But I believe the down fall of a tuner on a mkII would be the fact that the forearm is screwed directly to the barrel. If you had a mkIII or later the forearm is connected to the receiver and the barrel free floats.

Think about all the variably by holding/resting the forearm on the mkii, you are pretty much just holding/resting the barrel itself.

I believe in order to get maximum use of a tuner the barrel needs to fully float and action bedded nice and solid.
The Mk 3 is the only International with a free floated barrel, the 4&5 have the forend carrier attached to the barrel.!!
Old 10-30-2021, 04:43 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINI SHOOTER View Post
The Mk 3 is the only International with a free floated barrel, the 4&5 have the forend carrier attached to the barrel.!!
Thanks for the correction. I just assumed since they had the extended receiver.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:16 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker4life View Post
Thanks for the correction. I just assumed since they had the extended receiver.
It's not always visible in photos, but up close you'll see there is a gap between the receiver and the fore-end strut.

MK IV/V receivers are longer than the Mk II, but not quite as long as the Mk III. The Mk IV was built to a tight weight limit, so BSA may have gone for a compromise between barrel support and weight.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:31 PM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Tuner of a MKII

I have one on my MK II and it helps get rid of most of the vertical and overall improved my accuracy. It is a Harrells.

Last edited by Travelor; 11-17-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:59 AM
Longbow53

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Tuner

Been thinking of trying a Harrells tuner. .......