Mk IV Standard out of production? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2021, 05:41 PM
Bimmer74

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk IV Standard out of production?



Log in to see fewer ads
Hi all,

I've been looking for a Mk IV Standard (6") for over a year, and they're out of stock everywhere:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/736676401055

The few that have appeared on GunBroker went for exhorbidant bids (over $500, IIRC). Now I'm kicking myself for not buying one for $275 back in the summer of 2020, when they were cheap and plentiful.

Has Ruger simply suspended production of the Standard?

(They seem to have suspended production of the PCC in .40S&W, too.)

Or are these being discontinued?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2021, 08:45 PM
FlerpinDerHerpin

Join Date: 
Jan 2021
Posts: 
41
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
king myself for not buying one for $275 back in the summer of 2020, when they were cheap and plentiful.

Has Ruger simply suspended production of the Standard?

(They seem to have suspended production of the PCC in .40S&W, too.)

Or are these being discontinued?
They sold out completely last year, and now the current logistics situation makes them hard to resupply.

A local shop has a handful of them, brand new, tagged at $519 (MSRP it seems), so they definitely are still making them, just gonna be a crap shoot finding one.

I'd subscribe to major retailer 'notify me' alerts if I was looking for one. It's got me scarce magazines and such in recent months.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2021, 08:49 PM
Bimmer74

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlerpinDerHerpin View Post
They sold out completely last year, and now the current logistics situation makes them hard to resupply.

A local shop has a handful of them, brand new, tagged at $519 (MSRP it seems), so they definitely are still making them, just gonna be a crap shoot finding one.

I'd subscribe to major retailer 'notify me' alerts if I was looking for one. It's got me scarce magazines and such in recent months.
I don't buy "logistics." I'm guessing that Ruger is prioritizing higher-margin products (the more expensive Mk IV pistols, black rifles, 9mm handguns, etc.).

I wonder whether that local shop of yours has new old stock, or whether they've actually received new guns from Ruger in the last year or so...


And I'm good at surfing the web and finding what I want at a decent price (I just bought a S&W M&P15-22 for $372.-, shipped, with tax), and I'm patient enough to wait for rare runs of oddball guns (S&W 610, Glock 24), but after a year of waiting I'm starting to wonder whether Ruger is ever going to make more Standard MK IVs...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-22-2021, 12:23 AM
Southern1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2020
Location: 
Southern MS
Posts: 
227
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also I think Volquartsen is buying out a lot of the "lower end" MK4's to build their pistols. Look at the Volquartsen site and places like Wirthwien and ebay. Both are selling uppers (barrels), bolts and Ruger factory cases cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2021, 05:23 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2007
Location: 
SW PA
Posts: 
1,408
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
I don't buy "logistics." I'm guessing that Ruger is prioritizing higher-margin products (the more expensive Mk IV pistols, black rifles, 9mm handguns, etc.).
If you were in charge of Ruger would you make low margin products given limited resources and uncertain supply problems? I'm sure both the employees and stock holders would prefer the company made a decent profit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2021, 08:07 PM
Bimmer74

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
If you were in charge of Ruger would you make low margin products given limited resources and uncertain supply problems? I'm sure both the employees and stock holders would prefer the company made a decent profit.
Agreed... This is why I'm guess that this is exactly what they're doing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2021, 08:08 PM
Bimmer74

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1 View Post
Also I think Volquartsen is buying out a lot of the "lower end" MK4's to build their pistols. Look at the Volquartsen site and places like Wirthwien and ebay. Both are selling uppers (barrels), bolts and Ruger factory cases cheap.
Yeah, but it's not like the market is flooded with Standard uppers, either...

They're also OOS everywhere. (I've considered buying an upper and then buying a complete gun and switch/swapping the uppers in'n'out, but the numbers don't work.)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2021, 12:25 PM
Test_Engineer

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
On a Colorado glacier
Posts: 
3,056
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would have gladly sold you mine, if my buddy hadn't wanted it.



I love Standard uppers, but I just couldn't learn to like the MKIV design. Glad it's gone.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Bimmer74

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I love Standard uppers, but I just couldn't learn to like the MKIV design. Glad it's gone.
Could you say more about that?

I've shot a friend's 6" Standard Mk IV, and I thought it was very handy, very accurate, and it didn't miss a beat... He wouldn't sell it to me, though!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-2021, 02:16 PM
Test_Engineer

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
On a Colorado glacier
Posts: 
3,056
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer
I love Standard uppers, but I just couldn't learn to like the MKIV design. Glad it's gone.
Could you say more about that?

I've shot a friend's 6" Standard Mk IV, and I thought it was very handy, very accurate, and it didn't miss a beat... He wouldn't sell it to me, though!
Didn't mind the push-button take down, but considering it only takes me a few seconds to take down my MKII & MKIII Standards - not a feature that impressed me.

Things I didn't like:

1) Aluminum frame. Too light weight and too soft of material. I've seen several in LGSs with gouges where the barrel wasn't aligned correctly when pivoted back down onto the frame.

2) Safety Lever. Down in the way of my grip when on "F"; Up and out of the way when on "S". Just stupid.

3) Internal Main Spring. Makes installing the hammer a PIA. Also makes finding hammer group friction/binding points impossible. This also eliminated the rear "viewing port" that made troubleshooting easy. You could view the hammer/sear/disconnector interaction on earlier models - WITH the upper on.

4) Hex Screws. You need a bunch of different size Allen wrenches spread out on your bench. I can completely tear down/ reassemble my earlier models with just a slotted screwdriver (grip screws) and tweezers (sear install). Much simpler!

5) PB Mag release. I prefer the heel release because I can change mags without losing my purchase on the grip, or shooting mags out on the ground. Wouldn't be so bad if installing a heel release was an option - like in a MKIII frame.

6) Mag Disconnect Safety. Easy enough to defeat, but it never should have been put in there - just like the awful LCI in the MKIII models.

7) Mag Eject Assist. Not needed, and again - only helps to put mags down on the ground. No thanks!


I'll always think the MKII was the best design. Everything you need and nothing you don't.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Bimmer74

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Things I didn't like...

I'll always think the MKII was the best design. Everything you need and nothing you don't.
I appreciate this (and agree with a lot of it, especially having the mag release at the heel).

I'm new to Ruger Mk pistols, and I'm not eager to buy used (and when Ruger's making them, new wasn't much more $$$), so I'll just keep waiting for Ruger to start making Mk IV Standards again...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-2021, 05:39 PM
slickshot223's Avatar
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2009
Location: 
Ohio
Posts: 
1,384
TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Didn't mind the push-button take down, but considering it only takes me a few seconds to take down my MKII & MKIII Standards - not a feature that impressed me.

Things I didn't like:

1) Aluminum frame. Too light weight and too soft of material. I've seen several in LGSs with gouges where the barrel wasn't aligned correctly when pivoted back down onto the frame.

2) Safety Lever. Down in the way of my grip when on "F"; Up and out of the way when on "S". Just stupid.

3) Internal Main Spring. Makes installing the hammer a PIA. Also makes finding hammer group friction/binding points impossible. This also eliminated the rear "viewing port" that made troubleshooting easy. You could view the hammer/sear/disconnector interaction on earlier models - WITH the upper on.

4) Hex Screws. You need a bunch of different size Allen wrenches spread out on your bench. I can completely tear down/ reassemble my earlier models with just a slotted screwdriver (grip screws) and tweezers (sear install). Much simpler!

5) PB Mag release. I prefer the heel release because I can change mags without losing my purchase on the grip, or shooting mags out on the ground. Wouldn't be so bad if installing a heel release was an option - like in a MKIII frame.

6) Mag Disconnect Safety. Easy enough to defeat, but it never should have been put in there - just like the awful LCI in the MKIII models.

7) Mag Eject Assist. Not needed, and again - only helps to put mags down on the ground. No thanks!


I'll always think the MKII was the best design. Everything you need and nothing you don't.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-29-2021, 05:00 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2007
Location: 
SW PA
Posts: 
1,408
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For everyone who says they never have any problems taking down and reassembling MkIII and earlier Ruger pistols, there are dozens of owners who have no end of problems as nearly any gun shop employee can testify. I learned to do it for my MkI and MkII guns but it was never any fun and maintenance was usually put off until I had no choice. The MkIV is a HUGE improvement.

Don't like the light aluminum MkIV frame? Get the stainless steel one.

The safety lever at least works like a 1911 and you can remove the right side lever if it bothers you. I'm left-handed and the MkIV is the first model that has a useable safety. All earlier models were completely inaccessible. TandemKross sell as stiffer safety detent spring if inadvertent position changes are a problem.

You are an engineer and hex screws bother you? The MkIV only need two sizes of allen keys. How hard can they be to keep track of.

You must be one of the very few people who like the heel magazine release. Most of us found it slow and awkward. No modern centerfire pistol designer would even consider it and other current rimfire pistols (S&W Victory, Buckmark, etc) all have 1911-style push button mag releases.

The magazine disconnect. Indeed a travesty but not unique to Ruger. It's a lawyer imposition but, fortunately, easy to remove.

The magazine eject is also easy to remove. Perhaps unneeded but apparently there were enough stuck magazines that Ruger thought it worthwhile.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Bimmer74

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
For everyone...
This thread really wasn't supposed to become a Mk IV vs. previous generations debate.

Suffice to say that Test Engineer is happy with his Mk II, and probably most of here on the Mk IV forum are fans of the Mk IV.

Done...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-29-2021, 05:47 PM
DrewBone

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
The foothills of south western NC
Posts: 
448
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
This thread really wasn't supposed to become a Mk IV vs. previous generations debate.

Suffice to say that Test Engineer is happy with his Mk II, and probably most of here on the Mk IV forum are fans of the Mk IV.

Done...
Bimmer74, 'sorry about your thread being sidetracked; you can always count on the same folks here reiterating their negative opinions about the Mark IV design change every chance they get.

I see them like this...ok, so they can miraculously (LOL) disassemble and reassemble a Ruger Mark I-III, but now the easy peasy lemon squeezy Mark IV design change has made their super powers irrelevant! Too funny.

And about the Standard Mark IV? There's nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth; contact Ruger at the number below and ask them about the production status and availability of the 40104 and 40105 (the 6" barrel model you're looking for) models - and take it from there.

Ruger Customer Service: (336) 949-5200

'Hope you find one!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x