Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:09 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have the Ruger American with the short barrel and adult stock module. I am very pleased with that and it is my primary hunting rimfire. I use a scope, so; sights dont matter. It surprise me on the up side. Although, I did have a random bit of bad luck. It worked out ok in the end. I highly recommend you buy one in person and dont try and save 5c buying on line. Verify the stock is not twisted and pushing the barrel to the side. Verify the sights are not tilted to the side. In other words, do you own QC in person, becasue Ruger is not doing any.

I have nothing against any of the other choices discussed. I have a cz 452 Varmint & 455 American and one Anschutz all in 22mag. They are more money. The CZ's are both heavier. The three are almost to nice to hunt with. Two are a bit more accurate and one a tad less. You never know.

I should not have said, "nothing against". Both Marlin and Savage have grossly inferior bolt designs over any of the above. My opinion. Ruger is really got their act right on the American design. It is not a issue of bad designs, but; cheap&simple vs rf guns made like mini cf guns.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My gripe about the American series rifles is the poor extractor design. Other than that I'm not crazy about the trigger system either but they do work pretty well compared with the Savage 93.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:51 PM
fish4food

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Had a Ruger American Compact with threaded barrel. Suppressed it was even more fun to shoot, but not near as accurate as my Henry pump or Lever.

The Pump is not ideal for carrying or plinking as it is HEAVY!!!

The lever gun is a slick little light accurate rifle. Keep it in my my buggy and shoot it to 100 yards regularly. I have an 8 steel plate in my front yard and shoot it often.

Of the choices you listed Id go Henry Lever.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:15 AM
PatientWolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wanderson and Hunter:

Have you replaced the feed ramp on your CMR-30s? How many rounds do you have through them without failures. I want to like it based on my experience with my Sub2Ks, but the reported feeding issues concern me. I like to load and go, not having to worry about having a special tool to load magazines or load is stages, slapping the rounds into position between.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:00 AM
flicker204
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
i have a cz 452 varmint and the gophers love it.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flicker204 View Post
i have a cz 452 varmint and the gophers love it.

Like this one? https://simpsonltd.com/cz-452-varmint-c49888/
Old 10-21-2021, 09:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
There are lots of nice WMRs out there. Ive been buying a few. Ive got a new me to cz 452 FS, ive got to get set up, and get to the range.

But the one Ive had the most fun with lately is my MR WMR, hard to beat semi auto for fun. And with the stainless bull barrel, its plenty accurate.

My first wmr was a cz 455 FS, and I was hooked. Then a 9422 wmr. Really the best rimfire lever gun ever. Did a barrel swap on a Ruger 77 bot paddle 17 hmr to WMR , in stainless making it into my all weather gun, then got the MR, the 452 and the Zastava .The MR was the latest to get set up and taken to the range, and I must say , I like it.A lot. Just got the Zastava set up, so it will go next. Saving the CZ 452 FS for last, just cause its special, and i didnt want it to spoil the experiance with the others.

Somewhere in there was a Savage 93WMR, but that got gifted away along with a RAR in 22lr. Good hunting guns, but not good enough to keep.

Along the way, i stumbled into the PMR, and my hand gun needs were met. This is a fantastic range toy, 30 round magazines, and hi viz sights. Woo doggy

Of course since interest peaked , so did the ammo price, but at least now its available, which is better than not available.

As to why rimfire magnums, well I shoot them better than 22lr at 100 yards, at my range. At 50 yards , the 22lr rules, but at 100 its the HM2, the HMR and the WMR.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:32 PM
flicker204
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
yes sir
Old 10-21-2021, 01:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flicker204 View Post
yes sir
Now , thats a nice gun. The only thing better would be a cz 453 Varmint in WMR.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:27 AM
skwerl58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had two. A Mossberg Chuckster 640 and a Savage 93FV with a thumbhole stock. The chuckster is a great shooter but the trigger was heavy. The Savage 93FV has an accu-trigger and it is also very accurate. I gave the chuckster to my son and am using the Savage for hunting. Both of these shoot the CCI Maxi Mags, 40 g very well.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:26 PM
hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
Wanderson and Hunter:

Have you replaced the feed ramp on your CMR-30s? How many rounds do you have through them without failures. I want to like it based on my experience with my Sub2Ks, but the reported feeding issues concern me. I like to load and go, not having to worry about having a special tool to load magazines or load is stages, slapping the rounds into position between.
I've got a few hundred rounds through both the CMR 30 and the PMR 30. No feed ramp replacement on either firearm. Load the magazine properly and zero problems.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:16 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
I've got a few hundred rounds through both the CMR 30 and the PMR 30. No feed ramp replacement on either firearm. Load the magazine properly and zero problems.
Ditto...
Old 11-12-2021, 09:53 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd definitely give the Henry lever action some consideration. Mine is plenty accurate, and just plain fun to shoot. I also have a Ruger American Rimfire in .22WMR, but only recently got it, and can't comment on how it shoots until I take it out tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:42 AM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
general purpose .22 mag

I had a Marlin 882 bolt action stainless steel .22 WMR rifle, which used 7-round box magazines. I liked everything about it except the barrel length. It was 22" long, and while that may have been good for iron sight use, I always had this rifle scoped.
I think I'd prefer an 18" barrel on a .22 magnum rifle, to keep it handy, and I think that the bullet velocity would be near peak with that much of a barrel to burn the gunpowder.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:18 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
This thread needs pitcherz.

My only 22 magnums are CZ 452s, and I'd highly recommend any one of them.

452 Varmint (bottom gun in this photo)

452 Lux

452 FS

Used to have this BRNO 611 but sold it. It was a great gun and I'd recommend one highly for an old-school-quality semi-automatic. I sold it only because I usually gravitate to bolt-actions and I think I was wanting to make room in the safe for something at the time. I wish I'd have kept it.

Last edited by I6turbo; 11-20-2021 at 11:20 AM.