Which aftermarket barrel for Precision 445/457 build? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:23 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepetrueba View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God looking rifle! Not far from what I'm looking to end up with. Like your chassis choice too!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:22 PM
LapLab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Great input! So you folks using the IBI, do you think your accuracy is improved over the MTR barrel you replaced? Those are some nice looking groups BTW
My IBI build started as a 457 American. I still have the MTR as well. Anecdotally the IBI seems to shoot better. However my actual numbers say they shoot about the same- .67-.70 average MOA at 50 yards with the 6x5 targets. Both have shot multiple separate groups of .19"-.21" at 50 yards. IBI likes SK and Lapua- MTR needs Eley Tenex- or different lots of SK or Lapua than I have- to do those numbers. I just put the lighter trigger springs in each so we'll see if that helps. I think some of my perception is that I personally like the balance of the 22" IBI barrel more than the 20" MTR setup.

The MTR has been frustrating. It seems very sensitive to ammo, rests, and how it's held. I'm starting to get to know it better though. The IBI came along much faster but that may be due to the learning curve with the MTR and the fact that the Pro Varmint stock fits me better. Both are still works in progress which is part of the fun.

I will say though the fit of the IBI barrel into the 457 action was impressive. The stock American barrel was not necessarily loose or sloppy- just not as "snug" as the IBI.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MManning View Post
I've been pondering the same thing since my 457 came with the worst test target I've seen. Lol. And my 452 seems to outshoot the 457 at 100 yds+, I need to do some more testing.

Acculite and Bartlein also make drop ins.

Lilja has the headspacing shims where the others do not. But there appears to be a way to reduce headspacing on the 457 bolt. I have shims coming to experiment.
I wouldn't worry about the test target. CZ does these to test function only. Unlike Anschutz test targets, they have nothing to do with accuracy and are not an indicator of what the rifle can really do.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:37 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapLab View Post
My IBI build started as a 457 American. I still have the MTR as well. Anecdotally the IBI seems to shoot better. However my actual numbers say they shoot about the same- .67-.70 average MOA at 50 yards with the 6x5 targets. Both have shot multiple separate groups of .19"-.21" at 50 yards. IBI likes SK and Lapua- MTR needs Eley Tenex- or different lots of SK or Lapua than I have- to do those numbers. I just put the lighter trigger springs in each so we'll see if that helps. I think some of my perception is that I personally like the balance of the 22" IBI barrel more than the 20" MTR setup.

The MTR has been frustrating. It seems very sensitive to ammo, rests, and how it's held. I'm starting to get to know it better though. The IBI came along much faster but that may be due to the learning curve with the MTR and the fact that the Pro Varmint stock fits me better. Both are still works in progress which is part of the fun.

I will say though the fit of the IBI barrel into the 457 action was impressive. The stock American barrel was not necessarily loose or sloppy- just not as "snug" as the IBI.

Very helpful, thanks! Leaning towards a IBI in 22" Now I need to find another 457 to work with.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:57 PM
FlerpinDerHerpin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Can the 457 American stock barrel channel be opened up to accept an MTR barrel, i.e., is there enough wood? Or is Varmint stock required? (I'm leaning toward the MTR barrel.)

Doug
I thought about doing that myself, but it looked to be really thin and frankly, my wood working skills are pathetic.

I ended up putting mine in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock after swapping to an MTR barrel.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:42 AM
JohnWhite
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
X-Caliber for me

I cut, chamber and fit my own CZ barrels. My best shooting rifle (a 452) has an X-Caliber barrel. I have also fitted to my CZ's. Lother Walther, Shilen ratchet and a Lilja. These are all fine quality barrels. So until something changes. Like a company getting lazy or starts some cost cutting campaign. X-Caliber has been the most consistent winner for me.