Did you know? - Page 215 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
The Marine Corps is the only service without fully gender-integrated basic training, something that Congress required the Marine Corps to change in the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act.
Just saw this.

My daughter was by-far the fastest sprinter amongst her company when they exercised for fun on weekends - but overall ACFT score is obviously nothing close to what the guys get, and she didn't push herself at AIT like at BCT (where she was awarded Iron Soldier.) She won her class and came 4th overall (iirc) against semi-pro's in her first Tough Mudder-style event while in high school.

The point I'm ultimately driving towards, however, is if you're going to mix genders in a special forces type situation, then the standards should be the same, in my opinion (and hers..) We've talked about it often and she would never consider those roles because as fit as she is, she knows she can not compete with the men. I am sure there are some that can, but they will be few and far between..
Old 10-17-2021, 11:33 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Bears and pregnancies

Bears can suspend pregnancies if necessary due to low food reserves/fat levels in the bear during hibernation. Kind of just put it all on hold.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:49 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whitetail does stressed by a harsh winter will/may abort their pregnancy and reabsorb the fetus.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:16 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
The practice of trick-or-treating in North America dates all the way back to..... wait for it..... the 1920s.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:29 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
The practice of trick-or-treating in North America dates all the way back to..... wait for it..... the 1920s.
What kind of candy Sophia? Sausage flavored maple syrup balls?

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 10-18-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:41 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
What kind of candy Sophia? Sausage flavored maple syrup balls?
I always gave away the good stuff -- half-size candy bars.

I have a big iron kettle I would load up with the candy bars after putting a couple of chem lights at the bottom; I'd let the kids fish the candy out on their own. I would decorate the porch with spider webs, big plastic spiders, and plastic skeletons. I costumed up and sat on a bench seat on the porch and would start cackling and doing the "double, double, toil and trouble" routine as they approached. I had some of the younger ones so frightened they wouldn't approach and their elder siblings or 'rents would have to do it for them.

One of the very few things I miss about living in town.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:52 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 10-19-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:30 AM
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The Marine Corps is the only service without fully gender-integrated basic training, something that Congress required the Marine Corps to change in the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act.
Well that hoovers big time. I've read multiple stories of abuse of women in both the Army and Air Force by male Instructors. I always thought it was a great benefit to have separate boot camps for male and female. I'm sure standards have been relaxed because of the mixing. Marine boot camp used to be tough.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:14 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Fun to know stuff received from a friend:

'A SHOT OF WHISKEY' - In the old west a .45 cartridge for a six-gun cost 12 cents, so did a glass of whiskey. If a cowhand was low on cash, he would often give the bartender a cartridge in exchange for a drink. This became known as a "shot" of whiskey.

BUYING THE FARM - This is synonymous with dying. During WW1 soldiers were given life insurance policies worth $5,000. This was about the price of an average farm so if you died you "bought the farm" for your survivors.

IRON CLAD CONTRACT - This came about from the ironclad ships of the Civil War. It meant something so strong it could not be broken.

RIFF RAFF - The Mississippi River was the main way of travelling from north to south. Riverboats carried passengers and freight but they were expensive so most people used rafts. Everything had the right of way over rafts which were considered cheap. The steering oar on the rafts was called a "riff" and this transposed into riff-raft, meaning low class.

COBWEB - The Old English word for "spider" was "cob".

SHIP STATE ROOMS -Travelling by steamboat was considered the height of comfort. Passenger cabins on the boats were not numbered. Instead they were named after states. To this day cabins on ships are called staterooms.

SLEEP TIGHT- Early beds were made with a wooden frame. Ropes were tied across the frame in a crisscross pattern. A straw mattress was then put on top of the ropes. Over time the ropes stretched, causing the bed to sag. The owner would then tighten the ropes to get a better night's sleep.

SHOWBOAT - These were floating theatres built on a barge that was pushed by a steamboat. These played small towns along the Mississippi River. Unlike the boat shown in the movie "Showboat", these did not have an engine. They were gaudy and attention grabbing which is why we say someone who is being the life of the party is "showboating".

OVER A BARREL - In the days before CPR, a drowning victim would be placed face down over a barrel and the barrel would be rolled back and forth in an effort to empty the lungs of water. It was rarely effective. If you are over a barrel, you are in deep trouble.

BARGE IN - Heavy freight was moved along the Mississippi in large barges pushed by steamboats. These were hard to control and would sometimes swing into piers or other boats. People would say they "barged in".

HOGWASH - Steamboats carried both people and animals. Since pigs smelled so bad they would be washed before being put on board. The mud and other filth that was washed off were considered useless "hog wash".

CURFEW - The word "curfew" comes from the French phrase "couvre-feu", which means "cover the fire". It was used to describe the time of blowing out all lamps and candles. It was later adopted into Middle English as "curfeu" which later became the modern "curfew". In the early American colonies homes had no real fireplaces so a fire was built in the center of the room. In order to make sure a fire did not get out of control during the night it was required that, by an agreed upon time, all fires would be covered with a clay pot called-a "curfew".

BARRELS OF OIL - When the first oil wells were drilled, there was no provision for storing the liquid so they used water barrels. That is why, to this day, we speak of barrels of oil rather than gallons.

HOT OFF THE PRESS- As the paper goes through the rotary printing press friction causes it to heat up Therefore, if you grab the paper right off the press, it's hot. The expression means to get immediate information.

There, don't you feel smarter now?

Betcha Didn't Know ...
The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as a substitute for Blood plasma.
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than seven (7) times.
Oh, go ahead.. I'll wait...
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes or shark attacks.
(So, watch your A..)
You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television
Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty (50) years of age, or older.
The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.
The King of Hearts is the only king without a moustache.
American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one (1) olive

From each salad served in first-class.
Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
(Since Venus is normally associated with women, what does this tell you?)
(Those women are going in the 'right' direction...?)
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
Most dust particles in your house are made from DEAD SKIN!
The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer.
So did the first 'Marlboro Man'.
Walt Disney was afraid OF MICE!
PEARLS DISSOLVE IN VINEGAR!
The ten most valuable brand names on earth: Apple, Coca Cola, Google, IBM, Microsoft, GE, McDonald's, Samsung, Intel, and Toyota,
in that order.
A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least six (6) feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
(I keep my toothbrush in the living room now! )
((Now Go move Your Toothbrush !.."SMILE".. ))

Remember, knowledge is everything.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
HOT OFF THE PRESS- As the paper goes through the rotary printing press friction causes it to heat up Therefore, if you grab the paper right off the press, it's hot. The expression means to get immediate information.
If you ever worked a mimeograph machine in the 70s and 80s (before photocopiers were affordable), they would heat up the paper as well.

Quote:
Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty (50) years of age, or older.
35yrs for burr oaks.

TBF (to be fair), burr oaks are among the faster growing varieties of oak.

Quote:
Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least six (6) feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
Yeah, I saw a special about this, don't remember if it was "60 Minutes" or another.

It falls in the same category as "you should drink eight (twelve?) 8-ounce glasses of water every day."

Medical professionals have picked it up and often parrot it, but the origins aren't from any real scientific testing.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:31 PM
RogerKipwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
A duck's quack does echo.

Quote:
MythBusters did an episode about that. They found that a toothbrush under a bell jar kept in the kitchen still wound up with fecal coliform bacteria on it. If you're really worried about it, keep your toothbrush in a glass filled with bleach.

Quote:
SHIP STATE ROOMS -Travelling by steamboat was considered the height of comfort. Passenger cabins on the boats were not numbered. Instead they were named after states. To this day cabins on ships are called staterooms.
In aristocratic houses of the 19th Century the largest and best furnished room was often called the state room. When ships began trying to attract high paying passengers with luxurious cabins, those cabins were also called staterooms to attract the sort of people who lived in such houses. Over time, as all cabins became more luxurious they all came to be called staterooms.

Quote:
'A SHOT OF WHISKEY' - In the old west a .45 cartridge for a six-gun cost 12 cents, so did a glass of whiskey. If a cowhand was low on cash, he would often give the bartender a cartridge in exchange for a drink. This became known as a "shot" of whiskey.
Kim LaCapria and David Emery, from the fact-checking website Snopes, looked into this. Surprise! Memes are rarely based on truth and this one is a complete lie. The oldest recorded reference Snopes found of shot as a measure of liquor was in the autobiography of Reverend Oliver Heywood, who lived from 1630 to 1702. The West wasn’t trampled over by whiskey-shooting cowboys until the mid-1800s.

Last edited by RogerKipwell; 10-19-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://youtu.be/nb-_KRh8asM

Sent from my 9029Z using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2021, 12:55 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hey(!), I was but the messenger. Didn't verify any ofvit personally. And I don't put any credence w/Snopes, for reasons we can't discuss here.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:09 PM
RogerKipwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hey(!), I was but the messenger. Didn't verify any of it personally. And I don't put any credence w/Snopes, for reasons we can't discuss here.
Before I repost anything I subject it to a sniff test. Many things that circulate on the internet make little sense. For example, why would a bartender take a cartridge in payment for whiskey?
Old 10-19-2021, 02:48 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerKipwell View Post
A duck's quack does echo.

MythBusters did an episode about that. They found that a toothbrush under a bell jar kept in the kitchen still wound up with fecal coliform bacteria on it. If you're really worried about it, keep your toothbrush in a glass filled with bleach.

In aristocratic houses of the 19th Century the largest and best furnished room was often called the state room. When ships began trying to attract high paying passengers with luxurious cabins, those cabins were also called staterooms to attract the sort of people who lived in such houses. Over time, as all cabins became more luxurious they all came to be called staterooms.

Kim LaCapria and David Emery, from the fact-checking website Snopes, looked into this. Surprise! Memes are rarely based on truth and this one is a complete lie. The oldest recorded reference Snopes found of shot as a measure of liquor was in the autobiography of Reverend Oliver Heywood, who lived from 1630 to 1702. The West wasn’t trampled over by whiskey-shooting cowboys until the mid-1800s.

That is, IF you can trust Snopes.

Doug