TX 22 Slide problems - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:41 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TX 22 Slide problems

I have been reading reviews on the TX 22 and really like it. Was going to buy one last week but my lgs was waiting for some more to come in. I then starting reading about the problem that it is having with the front of the slide cracking and breaking from the recoil. It appears that this is happening a lot. Is this something that Taurus has fixed or is it ongoing? It really is a deal breaker for me. Anybody know?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:18 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Recently there was this thread

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...rus+TX22+slide

I do have a TX22 so it's a concern. Since then have bought Kel-Tec P17s instead.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:30 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is a concern. There is apparently a lot of this happening and Taurus is replacing the slide but who wants to get into all of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2021, 05:42 AM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It is a concern. There is apparently a lot of this happening and Taurus is replacing the slide but who wants to get into all of that.
People who have time, patience and spares? Paul Harrell did a review of one that was given to him. He liked it and said that he would keep it in his rotation. 80% of the TX22s might be fine. OTOH a failure rate of 20% is HUGE.

Taurus might be wise to get out in front of this one or their "gun of the year" might not help their brand much.

Strong points - fits in the hand well, accurate, nice sized training pistol for larger calibers.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:05 AM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the contributing factors to the slide issue is the recoil spring has a sharp edge on it that eventually digs into the mounting area on the slide - weakening that area.

Modifying the edge to provide a smooth bevel, instead of a sharp edge, may solve the problem.

Not sure if later models come with a modified spring or not.

The TX also had barrel issue, which hopefully has been resolved.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:50 AM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a particular need for a semi rimfire and the mag extensions make it even more attractive. I am looking for an off season woods gun. I like everything about it except for the slide issue of course. I can get info on the problem but I can't read anywhere where it is said that Taurus is on top of the problem. I think that for the money they have a winner but it is not gonna stay that way long. My desire is purpose driven and if I was just going to the range I could just use another type that I have already when I have to send it back for the slide problem but unfortunately when I need it, I need it. If I could hear anything positive I would buy one next week. Oh well there is always a smith M&P compact.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:38 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have you thought about the Kel-Tec P17? Some people in the right place at the right time have bought them for under $200.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:04 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Have you thought about the Kel-Tec P17? Some people in the right place at the right time have bought them for under $200.
Yes I have been reading about them and believe it or not they seem to be reliable. It probably would work. I just need a rimfire that is as light as possible and holds more than 10 rounds. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any anywhere.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:56 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
The .22 Glock 44 had similar issues, but as I understand that was first run and now it seems to be fine.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:06 AM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I have a particular need for a semi rimfire and the mag extensions make it even more attractive. I am looking for an off season woods gun. I like everything about it except for the slide issue of course. I can get info on the problem but I can't read anywhere where it is said that Taurus is on top of the problem. I think that for the money they have a winner but it is not gonna stay that way long. My desire is purpose driven and if I was just going to the range I could just use another type that I have already when I have to send it back for the slide problem but unfortunately when I need it, I need it. If I could hear anything positive I would buy one next week. Oh well there is always a smith M&P compact.
I bought a TX22s when it first came out, and did have the barrel replaced due to manufacturing defects. It has been fine since. I modified the recoil spring when I heard about it gouging the slide, but didn't see a lot of damage.

The M&P22 Compact has had some issues as well, barrel/accuracy mostly, and is not full-size like the TX.

I like my TX, and it has been trouble-free. It's less picky about ammo than my PPQ22.

This section of the Taurus forum includes the TX, and may have more info to help you decide if it's a good choice for you - https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/p...us-pistols.14/
Old 06-28-2021, 04:41 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a couple TX22s and a couple Keltec P17s.

The TX22 is a full size gun and very suitable for training for service pistols.

The P17 is smaller, lighter, has better sights, better trigger, comes with three mags and is cheaper. It can be used for training as well but is better suited as a trail/kit gun. Comparison photo/charts courtesy of gunhero.com

My point is that if you are looking for something to emulate a service handgun for training the TX22 might be your best choice. If you're looking for a trail, pack, kit gun then the P17 may work better for you.

Last edited by mac66; 06-28-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:51 AM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
One of the contributing factors to the slide issue is the recoil spring has a sharp edge on it that eventually digs into the mounting area on the slide - weakening that area.

Modifying the edge to provide a smooth bevel, instead of a sharp edge, may solve the problem.

Not sure if later models come with a modified spring or not.
Lakeline and SSGuiderods both make a replacement unit that has a buffer on the end that keeps the spring away from the slide. I have one coming.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:36 PM
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
Lakeline and SSGuiderods both make a replacement unit that has a buffer on the end that keeps the spring away from the slide. I have one coming.

Me also. I read about the spring/slide issues on another forum and decided to get the Lakeline product "just in case". I suspect my TX22 will have a lot of rounds go through it as I typically go through 100 round per range visit, and I shoot the 22s about 2-3 times a month. My new TX22 probably has only about 300 rounds through it to date, and the slide/recoil assembly area looks okay so far, but like I said....... "just in case". Cost of the recoil assembly is about $35, delivered, so that seems reasonable for insurance. Heck, the pistol price was only around $275 I believe.

The replacement recoil spring arrives here day after tomorrow; if there are any issues with it I'll post here.....I don't expect any however.

Doug
Old 10-24-2021, 09:01 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received my Lakeline RSA and it works 100%.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:35 AM
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I received my Lakeline RSA and it works 100%.
Thanks, I'll post if I run into any issues with the one I'm scheduled to receive tomorrow.

Doug