Winch 52 Re-Issue Scope Mount - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:05 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)

It sounds to me like somebody used red loctite on those base screws. We used to do a lot of scope mounting in our shop back in the day and the only time I had any real issue removing old base screws was when they were glued in with red loctite. If tapping on the end of the driver as you're trying to turn the screw out then they're probably glued in. Time to carefully drill them out

Old 06-18-2021, 10:16 PM
manicmechanic

UNIVERSITY OF HARD KNOCKS - MILVERTON, ONTARIO CAMPUS
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=PWNolan;12323009]I used Weaver bases with Burris Signature Zees. It worked out fine with a Weaver V24

Same setup on mine with a first a Simmons 6.5-20 Silhouette model & currently a Simmons 24X Silhouette. It allows the scope to sit towards the rear enough to allow clearance.

Sounds like someone used something stronger than red Loctite - maybe the green stud & bearing retainer?

Not to derail the thread but has anyone used the EGW #42800 picatinny style for the Winchester 88 & 100 and can confirm it fits and allows for rearward mounting for bolt clearance?
Old 07-03-2021, 07:17 PM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure if they're still available , but Weavers' Grand-Slam #46-S [Steel] bases are just a bit taller than their standard # 46 bases ; as well as Warnes' bases for the 52 Repros . I used the Grand-Slam bases ; along with Warnes' QD medium rings ; on my 52 Repro . If I was careful , I could avoid hitting the scope ; a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3200 4x12x40mm a/o . I did , however , end up getting a small "scallop" cut into the bolt handle , for good measure ! IIRC , it cost about $ 60.00 for that ; it was very similar to what the repros' owners' manual showed ; why they didn't go ahead & have that done for the production rifles is beyond me !?
Old 07-04-2021, 12:11 PM
pans858
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Hi Bo,
Sorry to hear about your problems. GF gave good advice in both the heat and the impact, but sounds like it was too little, too late!

You need a good machinist to indicate properly, and drill those screws out with a knee mill. Don't even think about doing otherwise, and be sure to use the right guy. Send me a pm and I'll hook you up, if you still need help.

By the way- we know each other from past life in the T.U. world. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2021, 06:51 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Splurge:::::::::::::::::

Just purchased the Browning 52 version, 98 1/2% in box w/ papers. It has Browning marked bases but I can tell they are identical to the Burris bases on the Winchester I started this thread with.

Decided to leave the Winchester and it's "stuck" bases alone for now. I just want to shoot the thing.

So I'm done on the 52 Repros................ just finished mounting a scope on the Browning.

Now BOTH the Browning and Winchester 52's have the same bases and Weaver turn-in Extra High rings.............to clear the
bolt handle of both scopes that have big rear ends like Kamala. Both have 4-16x40 scopes w/ side focus.

BOTH going to the cabin tomorrow where I built a rifle range. Will sight both at 25 yards to start and then 50 to get a better feel for what they do. Hope to try 75 by mid-week.

Tore down the Browning last night. The Lawyer Pin was already gone and I noted previous owner ran the trigger adj.
screw out quite a bit, so it's probably good. I pulled the Winchester's pin a couple weeks ago, so it will never have the 8 pound pull experienced earlier. The Winchester's trigger will get tuned at the cabin.

Am betting both these rifles will keep up with most production .22 rifles. This should be interesting.

***** PANS858: TU, very high possibility we've met. Feel free to email me: bocash3 at yahoo I will have satellite internet at the cabin all week.

Last edited by bocash3; 07-10-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:27 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I understand that Warn makes pretty decent winches.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 AM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52 versus 52

Back from cabin............. comparison groups with both the Winchester and Browning version. Both have same 16x scopes.

ONLY older Rem. Golden HP bullets used. These are between 15 and 18 years old. Later tests needed with good target grade stuff. Have plenty of Eley type stuff at home and will try several brands on next outing.

First 2 targets at 35 yards. Note "sight adjusting" group shot first in Upper Left.
THESE groups shot off a metal picnic table and sand bag/front rifle rest. Table was moving with every heart beat.........chest up against rear bag and table.

SECOND 2 targets at 50 yards. Moved to my rifle range. Shot off heavy wooden bench tied in to the roof supports, so less movement. NOTE: EACH rifle on 3rd group had dime-size group. And each rifle had one group where 3 slugs went into one hole.

I pretty much declared a "tie." If anything, "maybe" the Browning had a slight edge, but both need more wringing w/ other ammo at the heavy wooden bench.

Further consideration: blurry 72 year old vision and shaky right hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1Win..52..35.yards.jpg (372.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2Browning..52..35..yards.jpg (371.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3Win..52..50.yards.jpg (360.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 4Browning..52..50..yards.jpg (359.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by bocash3; 07-28-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:26 AM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
I understand that Warn makes pretty decent winches.
Warn, the winch company is totally unrelated to Warne, the ring and mount company.

Last edited by SageRat22; 07-28-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:01 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For what it's worth, when I first got my Browning 52 in 1993 , I also got quickly annoyed by the bolt hitting the scope when using the proper height ring (for me)
- So I had one of the local gunsmith re-work the bolt handle

I'm sure it has affected the value, but to be honest, that's a problem my estate can deal with (if they want to sell it) and making the rifle more enjoyable for me was well worth it
Old 08-11-2021, 10:41 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMike View Post

I'm sure it has affected the value...
More likely enhanced it.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:37 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sillymike:

What scope is that on yours if you don't mind?

Even with Extra high mounts, my bolt "can" rub the ocular if I
get careless. My scope has the fat rear end however and I may
change it.

B
Old 08-12-2021, 11:14 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
On my Browning 52R I used Weaver bases with medium Burris Signature Zee rings. No clearance issues

Old 08-13-2021, 08:05 AM
SillyMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocash3 View Post
Sillymike:

What scope is that on yours if you don't mind?

Even with Extra high mounts, my bolt "can" rub the ocular if I
get careless. My scope has the fat rear end however and I may
change it.

B
Ever since I got it, it's been wearing a Leupold Varie-x iii 3.5x10 40mm
- You can see on the power ring where the bolt used to tap... prior to it getting re-shaped.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:14 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SillyM:

THANKS for the scope ID. Actually, I have that same scope that has been sitting on an Anschutz 141 for years. (Older version without the high turrets).

Currently have 4-16x on both the Winchester 52 (repro) and the Browning 52.

While I would dearly love to keep the higher power scopes on rifles like these, I will consider changing to a lower power to get the scopes closer to the bore..........a decision for another day at this point.

Thanks again for replies. Y'all have a wonderful weekend and stay cool if you can. Bo
Old 08-13-2021, 12:40 PM
SillyMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One thing I like about those "older" Leupold (as it already been 30 years ) is they have (by today's standard) slimmer eyepiece.

For the longest time I had a 1.5x5 in a spare set of rings for that rifle
- Left-hand bolt on the rear base set with Loctite
- Right hand bolt torqued at 15lb

The rifle would within a click or two of zero, when switching scope
- The top turret was added by the custom shop, at some point in time I had taken to shooting some silhouette and wanted something easier to adjust.